IGNORED

Gosub

atari2600land

I like the one on the black background a little better. There's a stronger contrast, and it also gives a greater sense of being deep in the sea. Light blue suggests shallow water. Either way though, the label looks very nice! :thumbsup:

And it does have a tie-in with the game since the last level is black.

Back to work! ;) Two new mazes, levels 1 and 3 in this build (levels 14 & 16 once the game is finished, just let you start at the new levels so you get to play them automatically) and tell me what you think of them. There's still a little work needed before I can call it done (unless some huge bug comes up. *knocks on wood*) So, here ya go.

gosub032607.bas.bin

gosub032607.bas

Will *this* be the final version? Everything appears to be working nicely, so please report bugs/suggestions ASAP, as I'm seriously considering this the final version (unless there are some good suggestions that I can work in). Changes from last version are:

* Octopus is now fully invisible, even when crossing walls. (Thank you, Mike!)

* Octopus is now black instead of blue in the final level. (Thank you, Mike!)

* Score changes in the GoSub 500 minigame involving final score colors.

* A few changes in level design.

-Chris

gosub032807.bas.bin

gosub032807.bas

gosubinstructions.txt

Edited by atari2600land

Will *this* be the final version? Everything appears to be working nicely, so please report bugs/suggestions ASAP, as I'm seriously considering this the final version (unless there are some good suggestions that I can work in). Changes from last version are:

* Octopus is now fully invisible, even when crossing walls. (Thank you, Mike!)

* Octopus is now black instead of blue in the final level. (Thank you, Mike!)

* Score changes in the GoSub 500 minigame involving final score colors.

* A few changes in level design.

-Chris

It's good that you've (or rather, Michael) fixed the invisibility problem, it now seems quite less predictable (which is a good thing).

...but there are just a few "quick-fixes" that need to be done before final release.

1. In your indy 500 mini-game, there are certain collision points between the subs where one will just pass through the other. (try colliding at the top) My suggested fix is some sort of software collision detection.

2. I don't really care for the fact that, on your game over screen, the "E" trails. It looks a bit un-professional.

3. Finish that much, and I'll be fine!

2. I don't really care for the fact that, on your game over screen, the "E" trails. It looks a bit un-professional.

Fixed.

Also, longer pause between deaths.

Mike & I will see what we can do about the mini-game. But until then, I'm not posting a binary file with these minor changes because it's not what I think is the final version yet.

(unless there are some good suggestions that I can work in).

One suggestion I'd like to make is to use pfscroll to adjust the playfield positioning, so that the top and bottom walls of the mazes are the same widths:

pfscroll up : pfscroll up : pfscroll up : pfscroll up : rem <-- add this line here
  AUDV0 = 0 : AUDV1 = 0 : n = 0 : p = 0 : p1x = 0 : p1y = 0 : k = 0 : z = 0 : r=0 
  a = 13 : byte1=$BB
  music_timer = 6
  goto 2000 bank4

pfscroll down : pfscroll down : pfscroll down : pfscroll down : rem <-- and this line here
  playfield:
  XXXXX.XXXXX.XXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  X.....X...X.X.X.X.X.............
  X.XXX.XXXXX.X.X.X.XXXXX.........
  X...X.X...X.X...X.X.............
  XXXXX.X...X.X...X.XXXXX.........
  XXXXX.X...X.XXXXX.XXXXX.........
  X...X.X...X.X.....X...X.........
  X...X.X...X.XXXXX.XXXX..........
  X...X..X.X..X.....X...X.........
  XXXXX...X...XXXXX.X...X.........
end

post-7456-1175141725_thumb.jpg

However, as you can see in the screenshot, doing this means you'll need to adjust the initial vertical positions of all the sprites-- especially the ball. Basically, you'll need to move them up 4 positions to compensate for the playfield being scrolled up 4 lines.

Michael

And here is the latest version. Tell me what you think.

It's better, and I see where you have worked the game over screen in, but what happened to the indy 500 race-track? I presume it was cut off due to the pfscroll. Try cutting out one of the center rows from the track, it should become fixed.

The subs are still "falling through" each other. Here's an idea. Allow the subs to be pushed just slightly, like I've done in Combat DX. Here's an adaption from my code.

c = c + 1
  if c = 7 then c = 0

if !collision(player0, player1) then goto 39
; check if players are colliding, and if not, skip this

if c <> 6 then goto 39; speed limiter

; notice how during this next section, _both_ players move upon collision. 

if player0x > player1x then player0x = player0x + 1 :
  player1x = player1x - 1 : 
  goto 37

if player0x < player1x then player0x = player0x - 1 :
  player1x = player1x + 1

if player0y > player1y then player0y = player0y + 1 : 
  player1y = player1y - 1 : 
  goto 39

if player0y < player1y then player0y = player0y - 1 :
  player1y = player1y + 1

BTW: I like your "sound test" screen. ;)

Edited by Dragnerok X