IGNORED

Component cables at last!

remowilliams

Thank (insert your favorite deity here) that I finally got a set of component cables for the Wii today. And I have to give props to Nintendo's online store - they process and ship orders really quickly.

It's nice to see that Link isn't a fuzzy blob afterall. :lol:

For those wondering, the Wii looks quite nicer in 480p. The downside of course is that the clarity tends to highlight the Wii's lack of anti-aliasing, but I'm more than willing to make the tradeoff here.

Gamecube games are still unfortunately in their native display modes (read crappy NSTC/60) but it still beats that cheezy composite video cable business. ;)

Edited by remowilliams

Gamecube games are still unfortunately in their native display modes (read crappy NSTC/60) but it still beats that cheezy composite video cable business. ;)

Check the manuals for the GC games. Some of them have 480p support. Metroid Prime, for example, allows you to hold the B button during boot to force the system into 480p mode. (A menu will ask you if you're sure you want to do that. Select "Yes".) If you have a game with that feature, try it out and let us know if it works. :)

I have more GC games that support 480p then games that don't. With the GC you only have to enable it in one game and it is enabled system-wide. After that point any game that supports 480p will ask if you want to enable it everytime you insert one (even if you have enabled it on that game before.)

According to the tracking info, my set will be delivered today and I'm looking forward to them.

Sort of strange... the set in my living room is a 56" Sony rear-projection widescreen HD set, a little over a year old. It does all displays except 1080P and I'm very pleased with how good my DVD's and HD TV stations look on it.

I hooked my Wii to it (with the standard AV packaged cables) and didn't think Zelda looked very good at all. Smeary, muddy.. not a good, clear display at all. While waiting for my component cables to arrive, I decided to hook the Wii up to my smaller, Samsung 26" Widescreen HD CRT TV in my gaming room. I was totally **AMAZED** at how much better Zelda looked on the smaller CRT set. Things were very clear, bright, and colorful compared to what the Sony had displayed.

I had heard that big screen HD TV's didn't do justice to the Wii connected with AV cables and after putting the Wii on a small CRT HD TV, I understand why. No way I'm moving the Wii back to my Sony, even after the cables arrive as I'm very, very happy with the display on the smaller Samsung.

Mendon

According to the tracking info, my set will be delivered today and I'm looking forward to them.

Sort of strange... the set in my living room is a 56" Sony rear-projection widescreen HD set, a little over a year old. It does all displays except 1080P and I'm very pleased with how good my DVD's and HD TV stations look on it.

I hooked my Wii to it (with the standard AV packaged cables) and didn't think Zelda looked very good at all. Smeary, muddy.. not a good, clear display at all. While waiting for my component cables to arrive, I decided to hook the Wii up to my smaller, Samsung 26" Widescreen HD CRT TV in my gaming room. I was totally **AMAZED** at how much better Zelda looked on the smaller CRT set. Things were very clear, bright, and colorful compared to what the Sony had displayed.

I had heard that big screen HD TV's didn't do justice to the Wii connected with AV cables and after putting the Wii on a small CRT HD TV, I understand why. No way I'm moving the Wii back to my Sony, even after the cables arrive as I'm very, very happy with the display on the smaller Samsung.

Mendon

I think it would be worth trying. The CRT is not having to deinterlace while the Sony probably does (what tech is it?) I bet the component cables will clear the picture right up on the Sony. I would move it once the cables arrive.