IGNORED

Download old classics to your Wii !

babyfacenc

In addition to new titles, Nintendo is making the greatest video game archive in history available for download to its Virtual Console. NES games start at 500 Wii Points, Super NES games start at 800 Wii Points and Nintendo 64 games start at 1,000 Wii Points. Sega Genesis games start at 800 Wii Points and TurboGrafx16 games start at 600 Wii Points. Wii Points can be purchased online or at retail at an MSRP of $20 for 2,000 points. Additional hardware accessories, such as the Classic Controller, may be required to play Virtual Console games and are sold separately. The titles listed below will be available before the end of December... Now it's great you can get these classics on your new Wii system and all, but for my money, I'd rather have the classic systems anyway; Wii Points can be purchased online or at retail at an MSRP of $20 for 2,000 points. NES-start at 500 Wii Points,so $20 for 4? SHOOT, I MAY AS WELL BUY THE OLD CONSOLES WITH 10-20 GAMES INCLUDED, AND GET THE REAL DEAL. :-P ---> Wii

In addition to new titles, Nintendo is making the greatest video game archive in history available for download to its Virtual Console. NES games start at 500 Wii Points, Super NES games start at 800 Wii Points and Nintendo 64 games start at 1,000 Wii Points. Sega Genesis games start at 800 Wii Points and TurboGrafx16 games start at 600 Wii Points. Wii Points can be purchased online or at retail at an MSRP of $20 for 2,000 points. Additional hardware accessories, such as the Classic Controller, may be required to play Virtual Console games and are sold separately. The titles listed below will be available before the end of December... Now it's great you can get these classics on your new Wii system and all, but for my money, I'd rather have the classic systems anyway; Wii Points can be purchased online or at retail at an MSRP of $20 for 2,000 points. NES-start at 500 Wii Points,so $20 for 4? SHOOT, I MAY AS WELL BUY THE OLD CONSOLES WITH 10-20 GAMES INCLUDED, AND GET THE REAL DEAL. :-P ---> Wii

Really? They are going to sell NES and SNES games for download on the Wii...that's great news! I wonder why no one knows about this feature :P

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97666

Really? They are going to sell NES and SNES games for download on the Wii...that's great news! I wonder why no one knows about this feature :P

This just in: Super Nintendo to have "Mode 7" graphics technology.

Seriously though, ths makes me think that feaure isn't as "common knowledge" to most people as it is to us here.

Edited by Atarifever

This just in: Super Nintendo to have "Mode 7" graphics technology.

Seriously though, ths makes me think that feaure isn't as "common knowledge" to most people as it is to us here.

Holy smoke - with Mode 7 AND the Blast Processing technology the Wii MUST be more powerful than the PS3!

I hate to say it..but I would agree with the above statement. As I understand it...the only VC games that will be available will be the ones that originally were released here in the States...

Although I will agree with you both on this in light of what's been happening lately with the VC; however I feel that if one were to step back, the VC could prove to be a great feature IF nintendo is ready to step up to the plate.

Just think: the Wii could be having a dry couple of months in terms of software, sales are down and BOOM: Chronotrigger! Dracula X! Hell, why not the unreleased Star Fox 2 for SNES!

I am going to be optimistic and say that Nintendo right now is concentrating on getting consoles out in the wild and once the whole launch hooplah dies down, they are going to concentrate more efforts into bringing rare titles on the VC to boost sales. Remember the Zelda gamecube disk? Milking a franchise to boost sales by creating a compilation of classic games, one of them never have been released (ie: the Master quest Ocarina of Time)

So yes, Nintendo is lazy about online presently, but I just hope to god they get their act together and make the Wii a force to be reckoned with.

I'm not a techno-geek or anything, and I have no plans of becoming a :pirate: , but what is stopping people from dumping the rom off the sd card and sharing it with others?? Are the old downloaded games copy protected or encrypted??

Edited by De Butcher

So you think Nintendo will probally keep their VC games in their original region?

People with a (J) Wii will get stuff like Doki Doki Panic, Parodius Da, Kaze Kiri, Drac X: ROB and Salamander,

and (US/C) Wii get stuff like F-Zero, DK, Legend of Zelda, and Bonk.

BLAH!!! :(

Anyone know if a (J) Wii in the USA would upload for the (US/C) server or the (J) server?

I'm not a techno-geek or anything, and I have no plans of becoming a :pirate: , but what is stopping people from dumping the rom off the sd card and sharing it with others?? Are the old downloaded games copy protected or encrypted??

Downloading the game also apparently downloads a license for the game tied to that console, so Wii games aren't transferrable.

I'm not a techno-geek or anything, and I have no plans of becoming a , but what is stopping people from dumping the rom off the sd card and sharing it with others?? Are the old downloaded games copy protected or encrypted??

I stated this in another thread here somewhere...but I have more or less already tried this. And the results were thus...

I copied the games...(They are channels on the Wii), to the SD card. I then erased the channels in the main Wii menu. I went into mem management, channels, and was able to copy the games from the SD card back to the Wii main memory. Going to the menu, there are the games back like nothing happened....

Okay...next experiement. I copy the games to the SD card again. Take the SD card and using a digital camera, I copy the games to my PC HDD. I then delete the game files from the SD card. I then copy them back onto the SD card from the copies on the PCs HDD.

Now keep in mind..that these are the exact same files..the ENTIRE time. The games being copied are the ones from the Wii...to the SD card...to the PC. And the copy from the PC is going back onto the same SD card, back to the Wii. What happens?

Well..the games show up on the SD card on the PC. But when I put the SD card back into the Wii..the games are not there at all?! Nothing...only a mystery of missing blocks from the SD card that proves that something is on the SD card. But the Wii cannot or will not see the data any longer. This is the same data that was on the card to begin with?!

So...something else is being done to the data so that the Wii knows the difference between me copying them withing the Wii to using a PC.

Based on this...I would suspect that each Wii must write some encypted block of data to the SD card or to the folders of the games on the SD card that cannot be read by PCs. As a result, that data isn't copied back to the directories when you transfer the data from one media to another. Unless it is done through the Wii itself.

I don't have another Wii to try it, but I would imagine that if this happens with PC transfered data, that SD cards from another Wii will show up the same way. Basically...missing blocks being reported...but no physical channels or data show up.

I'd really like to be able to download the original Famicom version of SMB2. The only version that was ever available in the US was the remade SNES version, and that doesn't interest me.

Hu? What was the difference between the Famicon SMB2 and the NES SMB2?

I'd really like to be able to download the original Famicom version of SMB2. The only version that was ever available in the US was the remade SNES version, and that doesn't interest me.

Hu? What was the difference between the Famicon SMB2 and the NES SMB2?

They're completely different games. The gameplay and graphics of the famicom game are almost identical to SMB1, but it's much harder and had a few modifications to make it more difficult. It was apparently intended for people who had mastered the first game and wanted a new challenge. It was only published in the US on the SNES compilation "Super Mario All Stars", where the game is called "The Lost Levels". But that SNES port has fancied-up graphics, and I'd like to have the original 8-bit version. There's no convenient way to run it except on an emulator, because the original was only released on the Famicom Disk System.

There's no convenient way to run it except on an emulator, because the original was only released on the Famicom Disk System.

Not necessarily. The Famicom SMB2 I bought back in the day WAS in cart form (I had a Famicom before I ever had an NES).

..How you say? Well, it was a bootleg! :lol: I didnt figure that out though till like a decade or later though. My Famicom was bootleg too apparently :ponder:

'Course the easy solution to your problem is play the rom via emulator. Heck mod an Xbox and play it on TV. It aint real hardware, but it's the easy way to go. ;)

I hate to say it..but I would agree with the above statement. As I understand it...the only VC games that will be available will be the ones that originally were released here in the States...

Which would suck, especially since one of the selling points for the VC was the chance to play games that were never released in the States. But it wouldn't be the first Wii promise that has been renegged upon.

Which would suck, especially since one of the selling points for the VC was the chance to play games that were never released in the States. But it wouldn't be the first Wii promise that has been renegged upon.

Undoubtedly it won't be the last, but it's incredibly shortsighted and narrow-minded to region lock EMULATION of all things. Getting this news on AA had a perverse and unexpected side effect for me - since the Wii is backwards compatible and I no longer needed a GameCube hooked up to my switchbox, I started thinking about the fact my SNES has the same RCA video cable (pretty much every Nintendo from SNES to Cube has this same plug in the back) and that I have a couple of the wireless controllers... and whaddya know right where my Cube was next to a cable box/DVD/DVD-R stack sits the old SNES with a copy of Tetris Attack in it. It's just high enough res/new gen enough that it doesn't look bad at all, and I'll never have to buy any SNES games on VC now since anything they'll release I already have a cart of. Technically the same goes for NES since I have the entire NTSC library, but I bought Mario Bros just to test VC out and because it was only 500 points.

Gets better...I was looking at the Wii Shopping channel settings last night. And noticed that it states that if you sell or otherwise give your Wii away to another. That you need to delink your account from the Wii and then delete your shopping channel profile. Doing this prevents the Wii from being tied to the downloaded content...etc...and prevents piracy etc..

But....get this...if also means you won't be able to download the VC games again if you purchase a new Wii unless you pay for them again?! So all I can say...is don't sell you Wii anytime soon, or if you do...make damn sure to keep your VC purchases down...because once you sell that Wii and close out the account on it...all the records from it get wiped out as well.

This didn't prevent me from downloading Ristar though...hehe...