IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

Before I tell you what I bought, i will set up the discussion with my ramblings about displays.

When I was putting together my ultimate Atari, I was thinking I'd go with a flat panel monitor.

I've got a 15khz capable 19" flat panel, that I used wiht a VBXE equipped Atari, but it jailbars the screen.   I've got a retrotink 2x and gbs-8200, they do better, but, sorry, I know people swear by the retrotink, but in my mind it still shows snow.  I've got the xep-80 remake with built in hdmi converter and it puts a bright blue line on the left side of the screen.

I'm somehow super sensitive to graphical glitching to the point I hate machines with glitching - so frustrating.

So I started looking at an Atari SC1224 - giving up my idea of flat panel to to see what that might do.   but couldn't find one at a good price, and bought instead for $50! (plus shipping, plus tax so $96 dollars all-in) - an Apple iiGS analog monitor. A2M6014. (using this with a vbxe equipped atari as it has analog rgb)

Anyway works and looks great.  Now this isn't a review, I haven't tried 80 column mode yet.  But, so far, it just works great as a nice warm display that doesn't in any way trigger me with glitching.   I even bought an Atari logo badge to replace the apple logo....sweet!  thanks ebay!

Edited by Mark2008
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

Right now they have a sale on the blank 8 mbit cartridges , 5 of them for $99.00 US with free worldwide shipping , just for the weekend. I might get a pack. 

Atarimax has had that same sale on for years! When I purchased 5 about 10 years ago I had one that didn't work, I tried a diagnostic from 2003 I found in the Atarimax forums that wouldn't work either. I contacted Steve and he sent me a new diagnostic which confirmed the cartridge was defective and I was able to return it for a replacement.

20 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I wonder what sort of toner cartridge these take and if they're still readily available.

There's a thread on that here. Printer parts are often around for amazingly long times but none of these names rings a bell with me.

These printers are supposed to be compatible:

Atari SLM 804
Atari SLM 804 PCV
Buffalo Model II
Buffalo Model II Gold
DTP Systems Laser Printer
Kaypro Page Printer II - TEC
Memorex 2108-A
Memorex 2108-AT
Memorex 2108-B
Memorex 2108-BT
Microphonix LiteWriter
Microphonix LiteWriter Optima
Oasys Laserpro 5287
Oasys Laserpro 5308
Oasys Laserpro Express
Oasys Laserpro Express Model 830
Oasys Laserpro Express Series II
Oasys LaserPro Express Series II Model 830
Oasys Laserpro Gold Express
Oasys Laserpro Silver Express
TEC LB-1301
TEC LB-1301-1A
TEC LB-1301-1B
TEC LB-1301-1C

• Like 1

picked up this for a few quid to go on the wall.  Just appealed to me as I now own one of these classics :grin:

image.thumb.png.2f3ea8fd48056f25dc7acde636ab18cb.pngimage.thumb.png.e73e5a65474d8039bac8614d23c3bfef.png  

Pity it isn't in colour but still gonna adorne the wall of my rapidly expanding all things Atari shrine/home office! 

Worth noting that £400 then is roughy equivalent to £1800 now.

What I particularly love is the part about Extended graphic functions and software  ("Self-teaching software with the unique voice over").;)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

Yep, would have been 100% better in colour, but to this day it's still a fine looking beast of a machine. For me, the 800 and an Apple II are the real 'lookers' in the retro world. As much as I love my old C64 breadbin I have to say it's a right ugly bugger, even the C isn't that hot.

£1800 quid, wow, that is a shocker, can't say I really thought of it that way back then, it was just expensive to me, but seeing that figure just brings home how expensive it really was.

As for ebay, I have been looking at some of the Atari neon style signs, the actual neon ones are just way too pricey but the plastic glowing edge types are very nice and a lot more affordable. Fancy one for my desk but it won't come from ebay, AliExpress all the way.. (cheapskate, I know) 

• Haha 1

@Mclaneinc  Heh heh, I have this vision of you decking out your place with retro neon 80's signs:

Outrageous Interior Design & Home Decor Of The 80s | LUNO

Yuo - there is defo something about the 800. The XL two tone design for me is my fav, with the brushed alloy function buttons - but now I own a tank I love the 800 too! Least fav and one A8 I don't own is the XEGS - I just can't get on with the grey and pastel coloured buttons.

Yup silly money. I think my dad paid a very high price in the 80s for our 400.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@Mclaneinc  Heh heh, I have this vision of you decking out your place with retro neon 80's signs:

Outrageous Interior Design & Home Decor Of The 80s | LUNO

You must think I'm Tony Montana from Scarface :)

I'm hoping to get a 400 at some point just so I can play Star Raiders on it, it just has the right look for Star Raiders...Hopefully it won't be at 80's inflated rates..

Paul..

@Mclaneinc  heh heh! :D  I had the aforementioned 400 my dad bought in the 80s right up till summer last year when I sold it to a good home.

Amazingly despite being in the attic for 30+ years at my mum's it worked fine and the keyboard was totally responsive. I decided at the time that despite the sentimental attachment, (my dad passed away when I was 19 in the mid 90's), I realised that realistically I wasn't going to use it. The guy I sold it to seemed like he'd really value/use it which is great. I used the money for the sale to start to building up my collection of A8s - on top of the XLs/XEs I already had found in the attic which I've since fixed up and gotten to work.

My A8 hardware collection is getting a little ridiculous now but my Atari themed corner/shrine/home office (part of the dormer in our converted attic space), is starting to look pretty cool IMHO. I've been buying mini perspex shelves which affix nicely to the wall space. Some are for carts, boxed games, joysticks, etc, and others suit holding the likes of my Atari XEs, (800XE, 130XE), which look pretty cool on the walls. 

As I typed this my other half came in and commented that she'd not see "that monitor" before - referring to the beast that is the B&O 21" CRT. I explained I have a habit of acquiring things but "of course" I sold something else to pay for it. ;)

Well - some people have worse addictions eh?

Good luck finding a 400 that doesn't break the bank. I'll keep an eye out for ya.:thumbsup:

Also hopefully Candle will develop the Incognito lite for the 400 - that would be cool - although IMHO you'd still need to replace that membrane keyboard.

Atari rules!!! :grin:

Edited by Beeblebrox

As you may or may not have picked up from my posts, (and signature), I generally like to have an A8 fixer-upper project - or two - on the go. I just can't seem to let a battered ol A8's pass me by!:lust: 

So I am based in the UK and leading up to this weekend I'd had plans yesterday for a meal with a friend, few drinks, etc - but quickly realised storm Eunice hitting the country probably meant a night, (or possibly whole weekend), indoors,  given 90-120MPH winds forcasted - Red weather warnings issued. I love my Ale's but not that much.;)

So stuck in doors yesterday whilst parts of my garden redistributed itself  - I was surfing Ebay for all things Atari and came across this. A rather sorry looking 800XL. The listing stated it has apparently been kept in a garage for a long time - and it shows! Sold as seen and untested. Keyboard missing some retaining screws. It's currently being sent by the seller so I should get it next week - weather permitting.:grin: (Pics below)

I would have likley passed it up had it not been for two things:

1) My usual justification - money that would have been spent on food and pints last night was now freed up and of course could now be spent on another A8 heh heh! ;) (I know - feeble justification for spending money I actually don't really have - (thank you Mr PayPal credit!:D))

2) Aside getting it for a pretty cheap price including postage, something about this XL's stamped Rev A PCB ref detailed in the photos this rang a bell somewhere. Sure enough after looking back at photos of a previous 800XL I'd bought and fixed, I realised I'd had exactly the same revision A board before - and it was a Hong Kong manufactured PCB - which means it is fully socketed!! :lust:  The photos of the XL in the Ebay listing as you can see have the shielding in place so it's impossible to tell from those. 

This is great news as I suspect this one is gonna present some challenges given it's been in less than ideal condition for years. That shielding looks very rusty.

I am hoping the boards traces have held up and that there is minimal oxidation and zero water damage.

I've no doubt some ICs will be dead, (most likley some RAM), but I am hoping the 40pin ICs will be ok. Having it fully socketed is gonna save me a world of pain.

Worst case scenario if the PCB is shot but some ICs are ok, I'll have a donor XL for my other A8s, potentially a working keyboard, (albeit Type 4 mylar), and at the very least the casing - which is actually in ok condition.

Looking forward to unboxing this one. :grin:

Ebay shot 1.jpg

Ebay shot 2.jpg

Ebay shot 3.jpg

Ebay shot 4.jpg

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

1) My usual justification - money that would have been spent on food and pints last night was now freed up and of course could now be spent on another A8 heh heh! ;) (I know - feeble justification for spending money I actually don't really have - (thank you Mr PayPal credit!:D))

Dude?  How much do you drink????????????????

I thought I tipped back a little too much, but even my monthly allotment wouldn't cover an A8 at currentEbay prices. ;)

(Just messing man... hope it's something simple to get back up and working).

• Haha 3

Had a bit of luck selling off some surplus A8 stuff on Ebay UK the other day and happened to come across a v1.6 Fujinet on there. (Cash comes in one minute ..instantly goes out the next!!;))

Really wasn't expecting to see one of these on Ebay.

I wasn't going to stretch to buying a Fujinet given on average they are £80+postage. However this was £54 including postage and is a v1.6 so I couldn't pass it up. It doesn't come with an SDcard but I've loadsa those anyways. It's a 3D printed case, (XL design), and a rather pinky/pale colouring but looks a surprisingly good build, (I've seen far worse 3D printing), and the SIO plug is a good fit in my 800 and 800XLs. I've bought from this guy - 8Bit-Tronics - before, (an SDrivemax last year when I first got back on the A8 scene) - Nice bloke, very quick dispatch.

Anyways postie just delivered it :lust::

(Excuse the dusty 800 and 800XL in the background - recent attempt at dusting off another piece of hardware on my very cluttered desk is responsible!):grin:

image.thumb.png.3fd6ad71fb33c96aaad17f4613d1a71b.pngimage.thumb.png.692945ece39c24cd12a834338dfde998.png  

I know relatively little about how to use this so maybe at the weekend I'll be trawling through the pinned Fujinet topic and all the external website Fujinet links I found a few days back. Especially now my A8 hardware tinkering time has been freed up considerably having just yesterday fixed an 800XLF that wasn't working.:D  (6+ days of my time on that one!)

My main interest in owning one is primarily networked gaming (like 8bitdude's 8bit Unity networked games in development (ie 8-bit Slicks and the excellent looking 8-bit Strike (video below)). Actually I am not sure if 8-bit Strike will support Fujinet as there is talk of it only running on the Unity projects own homegrown 8-bit hub . Anyways, I'd imagine somewhere down the line it will hopefully support Fujinet.

I am sure I'll use many of the Fujinet's other wonderful features at some stage.

Aesthetically I'll likely source a nice Atari sticker or two to slap on it at some point!

Networked 8-bit strike:

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 3

My latest purchase is an 800XL. When I took it apart for inspection I found an old Wiztronics memory upgrade. The screen is very dark and the colors are off. I removed the upgrade and started socketing the board because only the large chips are socketed and I need to do some troubleshooting.

• Like 2

I went to e-bay and bought paddles.   Which frankly I would never have done back in the day, because what am I, a millionaire.

But in a fit of irrational exuberance, I decided, I can afford it, and I bought them.

Now if you peered into my e-bay history, would it just have paddles....oh ok,  no.  no....I also bought The Musical Atari Book - DataMost and Antic magazine august 1982 (Vol.1 Number 3).

In fairness, I have already read number 1 and number 2, so I'm ready for number 3.

Now, if you could peer into my reading history have I really read number 1 and number 2.  oh ok, no.  I skimmed them.

It's a small community, maybe even one of you sold me these items?  The nice person that sold me the book, said he hoped it completed my collection.

lol - I'm not collecting, I just wanted to read the book.

paddles.jpg

antic.jpg

musicbook.jpg

Edited by Mark2008
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@Jason Young "Atari 1200XL (with UAV and Ultimate 1MB installed)"

...ah so envious, and with UAV and U1MB too!!  :lust:1200XLs are like hen's teeth over here in the UK, and those stock machines I've seen anywhere cost an absolute fortune!  Good find.

@Beeblebrox   I know, I felt like the luckiest guy that day when I checked eBay and saw his.  It was a Buy Now item and I was clicking as fast as I could before anyone else scooped it up.  Quite a reasonable price too considering what it came with.  I always wanted to put an U1MB into a 1200XL but my soldering skills are only basic and I wouldn't trust myself to replace the sockets with longer ones to accommodate the U1MB.  These are beautiful machines.

@Jason Young wow, lucky you. Please don't feel the need to say if you don't wanna to but mind me asking roughly how much was paid? Was it over £500 or equivalent?

Ones I I've seen in the US sold as stock with no upgrades are going for £400 plus mark. So throwing the upgrades you have into the mix if you got it for around the £400 mark or equivalent - steep though that is, considering the bubble we are in - you'd have done well. 

31 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

@Jason Young wow, lucky you. Please don't feel the need to say if you don't wanna to but mind me asking roughly how much was paid? Was it over £500 or equivalent?

Ones I I've seen in the US sold as stock with no upgrades are going for £400 plus mark. So throwing the upgrades you have into the mix if you got it for around the £400 mark or equivalent - steep though that is, considering the bubble we are in - you'd have done well. 

@Beeblebrox  It was $400USD, which is around $350 EUR I *think*, assuming I did the math correctly.  Shipping, FX, and import fees were additional to get it up here to Canada.  Whoever did the work to install the U1MB did a really nice job too.  The shielding was cut and shaped nicely to install back into the machine.  I usually just toss away the shielding, but this one was a work of art so it's staying on there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jason Young said:

@Beeblebrox  It was $400USD, which is around $350 EUR I *think*, assuming I did the math correctly.  Shipping, FX, and import fees were additional to get it up here to Canada.  Whoever did the work to install the U1MB did a really nice job too.  The shielding was cut and shaped nicely to install back into the machine.  I usually just toss away the shielding, but this one was a work of art so it's staying on there.

@Jason Young  given the price bubble for Atari's I've seen this past year that is very good price, basically £330!!!  Especially when u take into account the effort re the upgrade installs on top of the upgrades themselves! Latest Fjc firmware installed for u1mb? Love to see a few pics sometime. Enjoy. ?

Bit of an update on my latest 800XL acquisition I posted about above the other day, with the 4 x original Ebay listing pictures here....:grin:

Ebay shot 1.jpg

Ebay shot 2.jpg

Ebay shot 3.jpg

Ebay shot 4.jpg

Well it arrived today. :D

Let's just recap. As per pics above which were from the Ebay listing the seller had posted, I fully expected to have hardware issues on arrival with this one.

For a start it was left in a garage for decades in humid conditions. Looking at the rusty shield I was expecting to have some bad PCB traces, oxidation perhaps. At least some bad ram chips right??!

I had worked out at the time of buying it that the PCB was the same revision as another 800XL I had owned last year which was Hong Kong made, and therefore this one was surely also going to be Hong Kong made - hence I expected it to be fully socketed. (Fully socketed A8s are always a bonus for obvious reasons, (swapping out bad chips, easier to upgrade, etc etc)). 

The top casing from the photos looked to be in good condition too.:thumbsup:

Anyways, as I say it arrived today. The seller has packaged it in two parts as the keyboard lacked the mounting screws which I was aware at the time of purchase.

I had a look at the base and... damn...sticker said made in Taiwan.:_(

Well fair enough I thought, wasn't the end of the world. My disappointment was thankfully short lived when removing the shield for... it was actually Hong Kong made after all and indeed fully socketed! :lust:RESULT!

So at some stage someone had put a base from a Taiwanese made 800XL on this for whatever reason. What a result!!!

So my thinking was that being fully socketed will make it easier to fix given I was fully expecting it to have some issues. (It's gonna have some issues surely?;) Bad sockets at least, some dead chips?!)

The PCB actually looked fine once the shield was removed - just really dusty. Underside was fine too. No obvious oxidation, rust or damage. This seemed to good to be true. I'm never this lucky. Ok so I found a dead fly.:D

Anyways, it got better. Keyboard turns out to be an ALPS manufactured one. I thought it was a Type 4 from the pics but no, writing on the KB's PCB stated ALPS. Needless to say I was very pleased. I own one other ALPS keyboard and love it.:lust:

Gets even better - RAM chips are Mostek branded! No nasty MT branded chips here.:thumbsup:

So - I clean the PCB up a little with a brush - plug my USB power cable and S-video to power it up and see what is wrong (damn am I pessimistic or what?!;)). My lucky run continues...powers up to ready prompt, sound coming through loud and clear!

Of course being a stock 800XL the chroma isn't connected as is to be expected, so the display is grayscale. I would sort that in a mo.

I plugged in my Atarimax Maxflash 8Mb cart with Atariblast! on it - powers up - albeit greyscale. So cart socket is fine. Pokey pumping out the famous Atariblast! signature tune - so Pokey chip is fine too. Joystick port works also.

Surely something has gotta give here I think to myself?!:P

I get my soldering iron out and spend 15mins adding the Chroma line to restore Chroma and colour S-video which works perfectly. Power up Atariblast! on the cart again and later The Last Squadron, also on cart - all work - nice colour S-video output!:thumbsup: Bl00dy ell!!:D

Sys check II confirms the RAM and OS rom chip are fine, and obviously to run Sys check II in the first place the PBI is working too.

So keyboard next. Damn it looked dirty. Gave it a quick clean with a brush and blowing out some of the dust n fluff and occasional dead fly.

Given it's not secured in the top casing and loose I protect the PCB from shorting on the expo Bl00dtsed keyboard contacts with some silicon solder mats and plug in the ribbon cable.

Booting into Self test holding option down and running the keyboard test finds that all keys work including the function keys with the exception of a few that are a little touchy and intermittant, and the G key which didn't work initially at all.  So having heard a little trick on AA I pressed some of said keys repeatidly 20+ times and eventually they came to life and fully worked. The G took around 40 hard keypresses and then came to life.:music:

So the ALPS keyboard now works perfectly.:lust:

I am utterly gobsmacked! I am never this lucky :P Last 800XL I bought took me 6 days to fix with loadsa problems to sort. 

So - from fully expecting to have a challenge on my hands at the point of buying this seemily knackered looking 800XL that has been stored for decades in poor conditions in a garage for a bargain price, it turns out:

• It has no issues aside needing a good clean
  • It has a fully working ALPS keyboard - total bonus
  • It is a fully socketed Hong Kong made PCB
  • It has quality Mostek branded ram which was a welcome surprise
  • The top casing and 800XL badge is in fantastic condition - unusual at the best of times
  • It now has S-video chroma hooked up and is in glorious colour with no real signs of yellowing. (Bottom case just needs a good clean)
  • It was relatively cheap including postage considering I've seen untested 800XLs on Ebay in better looking condition for upwards of £150+

Granted I've yet to check the SIO port to see if that works. Fingers crossed that is fine. I am pretty confident as pins look ok and I've never had an issue with any 800XLs and the SIO port. (Oooo tempting fate here!:D)

Needless to say this has made my day and just goes to show you can't always call it. Although of course now oddly there is a slight feeling of disappointment given there is nothing to fix on the PCB! :lolblue:

Just need to source some screws from my spares to secure the keyboard to the top casing, (making sure I ground it, etc).

A good few pics for those fellow A8 hardware nerds who appreciate these things:

image.thumb.png.331e52710b67244faf97feaf22ae58ce.png  image.thumb.png.6aaf6823abbd7e1dc55848b6e2c6020c.png   image.png.dcb870d77dd821674db51558af57c44b.png      

image.thumb.png.3ae55fb012bd5d15ea52f35321e76a38.png  image.thumb.png.5e587ea994b2fd2ed52f0a0f50b1f2e5.png   

image.thumb.png.f6777751c7f134474f7cead9dfcde556.png   image.thumb.png.4cdc636afdec6abacf07f22fb00da0ab.png   image.thumb.png.ab78b0e3d62c5af91ee58c49908a752d.png    

image.thumb.png.794508e3d69bf1bca8ffbe75c4064032.png   image.png.b683e5102cb244013bc44acd77818b02.png   image.thumb.png.b6c6f535e3cd51a1db82275e0e2ebfcb.png     

image.png.c76ce3185afa617039fea734c41f5483.png   image.png.572363617a17ca2b93d3a34929e37b0c.png  image.png.a35f57bd0b3ad03d39ba4c330cbf4cac.png 

image.png.3be45b243cec1b7eb398ed65739d37d0.png   image.png.48ac7f50974cd93f118c85158a191358.png   image.png.6e826d73e488ec3339226df5124b0ef3.png

image.thumb.png.d67fac3b3eaadb0478bf8fcc240a3da5.png        image.thumb.png.a9d6d0aaae9634099d7a0519df8a4f5d.png     

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 3