IGNORED

Question about the Super Charger

KAZ

This is definitely on my want list. It is crazy cool. I saw one up close at The Midwest Classic, and it was hooked to a cd player (which provided the sound data), although you can hook it into cassette players too.

I saw Stella gets a new brain cd on display.

I have a major question about the Super Charger....

Let's say I DON'T have the game Pitfall! for the Atari 2600.

Would there be a way to take the ROM (bin file) from my emulator, and create a SOUND FILE out of it, and then record it to a tape (or cd), and transfer it into the supercharger, thus being able to play Pitfall! FROM the supercharger?

Also, could anyone explain how the supercharger works in "Superchargers for Dummies" style?

I think it works kinda the way modem noise works, but I'm not totally sure.

Thanks for the help!

What exactly are you looking for? The Supercharger loads the info from the cassette into itself and then feeds that info to the VCS as needed. For bigger games there are multiload stages. This is my fundamental understanding of how the thing works! Its WAY cool and if you have the means I highly recommend you get one.

There is a hardware modification that can be done to a Supercharger to let you load any .BIN after it's been converted to audio. I think it adds a switch to make the RAM read-only.

Worship the Woodgrain is an early CD collection that's built for the modification. It has a link to a page on the subject by Bob Colbert, but it's kicking up an error at the moment.

Here's another FAQ with a link. Hopefully "members.home.com" will come back up by itself...

There's actually a lot of games that will work even without the modification... I've already made a CD full of games, although I almost never use it anymore. It's pretty much impossible to tell which games will/won't work except to try it and see what happens. Pitfall does work though.

--Zero

There's actually a lot of games that will work even without the modification... I've already made a CD full of games, although I almost never use it anymore. It's pretty much impossible to tell which games will/won't work except to try it and see what happens. Pitfall does work though.

So, do you have a list which games work and which not?

I don't really have a list, but here's what I have on my CD:

3D Tic-Tac-Toe

Adventure

Adventures Of Tron

Air-Sea Battle

Alien

Armor Ambush

Bank Heist

Berzerk

Boxing

Canyon Bomber

Chase The Chuckwagon

China Syndrome

Circus Atari

Combat

Cosmic Swarm

Cruise Missile

Crypts Of Chaos

Defender

Demons To Diamonds

Dishaster

Dolphin

Dragonfire

Edtris

Eggomania

Enduro

Entombed

Fantastic Voyage

Fast Eddie

Fishing Derby

Flag Capture

Frankenstein's Monster

Glib

Guardian

Halloween

Human Cannonball

Immies & Aggies

Indy 500

Kaboom!

King Kong

Laser Gates

Master Builder

Mini Golf

Missile Command

Mondo Pong

Off Your Rocker

Othello

Outlaw

Oystron

Pitfall

Polo

Qb

Rescue Terra 1

Room Of Doom

Slot Racers

Sneak 'n' Peek

Space Jockey

Space War

Stampede

Star Ship

Steeplechase

Street Racer

Stunt Cycle

Super Breakout

Tac-Scan

Tanks But No Tanks

Task Force

Tetris 2600

Thunderground

This Planet Sucks

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Video Time Machine

Wall Ball

Wall Defender

Warlords

Wizard

Z-Tack

This is by all means not a definitive list, and I'm actually pretty sure that there's at LEAST one on there that doesn't work (I'm not sure which one, but I remember that one or two managed to sneak onto the disc).

--Zero

No River Raid or Pac-Man on there??

OH NO!

Even if Pac-Man sucks worse than all the cartridges on the Atari 2600, it is the most memorable to me of ALL the 2600 games.

No Phoenix on there either, say it isn't so!!

I'm j/k really, you've got a nice cd there, and it is cool that you can play all those whenever you like, with only the flick of a button.

Technically the games play the EXACT same on the Atari 2600 as if you were using a cartridge. But for the purists out there, I'm sure they couldn't handle such a device. They'd want the real thing.

I find myself being a purist myself at times when it comes to gaming.

But since I won't be owning many arcade machines in my life because of cost, a program like MAME is very awesome!

You are right Stan, and if I were playing the super charger it would be like betraying the technology to use CDs to play supercharger games off of.

Even if it costed more, and was more of a hassle, I'd much rather use a bunch of cassettes, with a separate game on each one even, labeled very nicely too!

But what I was actually talking about is the use of the SUPERCHARGER to play games AT ALL.

A purist would be like "I'm going to play Pitfall! the old fashioned way, thank you very much". And he'll dig out the dusty cartridge from his closet, and stick it in.

"You expect me to use Genesis controllers?" "NO WAY," the purist would say....give me the default controllers!

See what I'm getting at?

Fact is that the supercharger is just as valid to use for the Atari 2600 as it is to use the NES gamegenie.

Playing Atari games on an expansion on the side of an XBOX, now that is PUSHING IT. Oh shit, I said too much.

I have a major question about the Super Charger....

Let's say I DON'T have the game Pitfall! for the Atari 2600.

Would there be a way to take the ROM (bin file) from my emulator, and create a SOUND FILE out of it, and then record it to a tape (or cd), and transfer it into the supercharger, thus being able to play Pitfall! FROM the supercharger?

Hey Kaz, if you really want to play Pitfall! for free that badly, just give me a shipping address and I'll send you a 2600 cartridge.

Ben

What's this obsession with Pitfall?  It isn't even that good a game.  At least Pitfall II has some interesting hardware in the cart.

I'm just going to pretend I never read that.

Ben

Maybe he has been spoiled by playing Thrust for the highscore contest. ;)

Maybe he has been spoiled by playing Thrust for the highscore contest.

Nah, I just always sucked at it, so it must have been a bad game. ;) I never could make jumps that required you to get the timing right within one or two pixels. Same reason I think Donky Kong sucks. And Tomb Raider.

No River Raid or Pac-Man on there??

OH NO!

It's very likely that I never even tried Pac-Man or Phoenix, since I already had the cartridges at the time. River Raid I didn't have at the time though, so I'm sure I would have tried it...

I agree with you guys on the purity issue... it's just not the same, and I hardly ever use my Supercharger because of it. I made the CD for two main reasons: 1) I'm a nerd, and the idea of playing Atari games off a CD has at least some geek value to it, and 2) There's almost no other way I've ever going to manage to play Chase The Chuckwagon or Wizard on a real console.

What's this obsession with Pitfall?  It isn't even that good a game.  At least Pitfall II has some interesting hardware in the cart.

Blasphemy! Pitfall is one of the best Atari games ever made! I agree, it's surpassed by Pitfall 2... but Pitfall is still one of my favorite cartridges anyways. As for your Donkey Kong comments... I'll agree that the 2600 version sucks moose balls... but the ColecoVision version is one of the all-time greats.

Speaking of in-cart chips, who here has played Doom on the SNES? Now, that's pushing old hardware to the limits.

At least they didn't butcher it as much as they did Wolfenstein 3D... I mean, they changed the dogs to rats for gods sake!

--Zero