IGNORED

My 2600 demos here

LS_Dracon

Tnx all.

About flicker or flikering whatever...

I use this becouse atari can only display 1 colour for each player (in same line). I don't like flicker sprites (the true I hate) but in real hardware, running on "electron bean tv" this efect is more soft, becouse television keep more time the last frame, I can't test this demo in real hardware, but I now that sprites is more solid.

And I discover that you can mix pixels from 2 "layers" to get a third color! In fireball is more visible, this fireball has only 2 colors, but in middle you see a bright colour, is a illusion.

The donkey kong skin is a illusion color, if you take a snapshot you will see a yelow skin, but yellow + brown = Skin color. Yep, I mix some colors to made this test.

And now 3 colours + black background, I think is possible draw in good resolution black and white images. I accept sugestion for one digitalized image in B&W :)

I think this graphic demo is finished... Suggestion for other classic game to be atarized will welcome too :D

Edit : I don't have a good assembly knowledge yet to do a DK conversion, but don't worry, if you see, I'm one of millions that want a good dk conversion.

Edited by LS_Dracon
  • Like 1

I think this graphic demo is finished... Suggestion for other classic game to be atarized will welcome too :D

Edit : I don't have a good assembly knowledge yet to do a DK conversion, but don't worry, if you see, I one of millions that want a good dk conversion.

How about Peter Packrat, Paperboy, Indy from The Temple Of Doom, and if you still on Nintendo may I add Super Mario, Donkey Kong Jr and DK 3 :D

I wish in near future, made a playable demo of Super Mario... I think its possible.

Look the different versions of DK

Donkey Kong

I will start a DK Jr. sprite demo ;)

PS : I'm not fan of mario and nintendo... I made this sprites becouse the port of 2600 is terrible! :P

Edit : There one thing that I need to say.

As you see, my english are bad, and sometimes lacks me the correct word...

I'm not a arrogant person, and don't blame the programmers of dk 2600 port. In early of 80's emulators not exist, paint programs to draw sprites and mouse are inexistent too...

And the principal, a site like Stella mailing list. Them made a better that can. ;)

The true heroes of videogame!

Edited by LS_Dracon
  • Like 1

I discover that you can mix pixels from 2 "layers" to get a third color! In fireball is more visible, this fireball has only 2 colors, but in middle you see a bright colour, is a illusion.

The donkey kong skin is a illusion color, if you take a snapshot you will see a yelow skin, but yellow + brown = Skin color. Yep, I mix some colors to made this test.

That's the same technique I was talking about in the Medieval Mayhem thread a month or two back, and again in the Tetris thread. :) Are you mixing two sprites together, each sprite having its own color? Another technique is to use just one sprite, and change its color from frame to frame. I wrote a little program in bB (batari BASIC) that displays a 3-by-3 color grid of the background color, playfield color, and player color (same color for player0 and player1), and changes those colors from frame to frame, to get different blends-- up to 9 colors at once (see the screenshots I posted in the Tetris thread). And I later modified that bB program so it would let me select one of the colors and change it using the joystick to scroll through the different hues and luminances, with the hue and luminance values of the color displayed in the score. I'll post it the .BIN of that program with some more screenshots and instructions, because it might be of benefit to you when you're trying to pick different colors to blend together.

Michael

And I discover that you can mix pixels from 2 "layers" to get a third color!

You had sent me a PM about the utility program I mentioned, so I just posted the source and binary in another thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1197525

Maybe it will come in handy for picking colors to flicker.

Michael

New demo relased.

First, Atariboy2600, is impossible draw with good looking a DK JR using 8 pixels width...

See the image. I can use 16 pixels (using both players), but for a game the second player need be alone, for draw others elements. DK is more easy to do. Rat Pack is not impossible, but you see I lost much resolution. This image is edited in paint program.

Ok my new demo is a Color Mixer. Is a tool for you see "news" colors for atari 2600. Using flicker the colors combine and you get a new illusion color.

Plus this demo shows a hexadecimal value of each colors. Will be very usefull for me.

(Run only in Z26, I don't know why the colors not change in Stella, I need fix this).

Press button for new color, and press up/down for change the luminance. Press left or right to select a colors to modify :P

post-10940-1166464658.gif

LS_Color_Mixer.bin

• Like 1

New demo relased.

First, Atariboy2600, is impossible draw with good looking a DK JR using 8 pixels width...

See the image. I can use 16 pixels (using both players), but for a game the second player need be alone, for draw others elements. DK is more easy to do. Rat Pack is not impossible, but you see I lost much resolution. This image is edited in paint program.

Ok my new demo is a Color Mixer. Is a tool for you see "news" colors for atari 2600. Using flicker the colors combine and you get a new illusion color.

Plus this demo shows a hexadecimal value of each colors. Will be very usefull for me.

(Run only in Z26, I don't know why the colors not change in Stella, I need fix this).

Press button for new color, and press up/down for change the luminance. Press left or right to select a colors to modify :P

Wow :lust:

I got a question for you programmers, can this idea of creating "illusion" color be applied to other consoles like the 7800?

Yes, it can be applied to any computer or console using flicker. The 7800 probably doesn't need it, because it already has much better graphics than the 2600, but it could be used to get additional colors than what are in the palette-- e.g., 31 shades of gray instead of 16 shades of gray (i.e., 15 "in-between" shades).

Michael

Tnx people.

And there's version fixed for work in stella.

Now work and both emulators :D

(the bug is weird, I use "adc 16" for increase colors, but in stella need be "adc #16", easy to fix).

Yes, its can be usefull for others systems, but as SeaGtGruff said, 7800 has better colors.

This is interesting for Odisey^2, Intelevision, Coleco and Arcadia...

Edit : I made another simple demo, this shows a sprite in 3 colors. Remember, in real hardware the flicker is more soft. Press button for change her colors.

Atari is a punk system, he was born in 76 :cool:

LS_Color_Mixer.bin

Punk_Girl.bin

Edited by LS_Dracon
  • Like 1

Tnx people.

And there's version fixed for work in stella.

Now work and both emulators :D

(the bug is weird, I use "adc 16" for increase colors, but in stella need be "adc #16", easy to fix).

Yes, its can be usefull for others systems, but as SeaGtGruff said, 7800 has better colors.

This is interesting for Odisey^2, Intelevision, Coleco and Arcadia...

Edit : I made another simple demo, this shows a sprite in 3 colors. Remember, in real hardware the flicker is more soft. Press button for change her colors.

Atari is a punk system, he was born in 76 :cool:

screenshots of the punk girl cuase I cant run any emulators:(

Tnx MausBoy.

I'm very happy, becouse finally I understand the interlacing technique!!!!

For people that don't know what hell are this, with interlacing you can convert images digitalized in color, for display in atari 2600 hardware!!!!

See Andrew Davie's demo here :

Mixing Colors with Flicker

I have a good surprise for you... comming soon...

My objective in all demos posted here is get 100% of atari graphics knowledgement.

So after interlacing demo is time to start my first original game :)

• Like 1

I draw this image quickly, sorry for lack of detail.

Although you have only 8 pixels, you can repositioning lines, giving a wide range.

This is very useful for draw 1 bit sprites using a ball or a missile.

This edited image uses same technique used in punk girl demo, 3 color combination.

what you think? :)

post-10940-1166705337_thumb.jpg

Edited by LS_Dracon
  • Like 1

I draw this image quickly, sorry for lack of detail.

Although you have only 8 pixels, you can repositioning lines, giving a wide range.

This is very useful for draw 1 bit sprites using a ball or a missile.

This edited image uses same technique used in punk girl demo, 3 color combination.

what you think? :)

You are now my new god :lust: (trashing my crappy sprites in the can)