IGNORED

Live Arcade Games

Gabriel

Well, it looks like this game is a bit like Heavy Weapon. The first few levels are laughable, and then the action actually starts around level 4 or 5. At that point there have been about 2 or 3 new enemies added, and it really improves the game. The background finally changes to something different at level 3 and starts changing regularly from there. Sadly, the backgrounds are never terribly interesting.

This game is really all about multiplayer. Playing multiplayer allows the players to dock their ships together. Apparrently you get more power the more ships are docked together.

Anyway, this stuff improved my view of the game, but it's still a Grade C or D shooter. Someone will have to tell of their experiences with 4 player simultaneous play. I think the game will be at it's best in that mode.

As for the music, it wasn't anything I even noticed.

Free is good though.

Sadly, this week will be a couple of clunkers: Xevious and Rush N Attack.

bleh

2 over-rated games in their time which haven't stood well against the test of time. I hope the 2 games come packaged together for 100MSP

Rush N Attack bleh.... its like playing contra with a swiss army knife.

I was always a big Xevious fan but come on Namco. This version has nothing new at all. I already have around 4 or 5 versions of this game, they didn't even add a new more advanced graphics mode. I'm pretty sure some versions I have came with a Xevious Arrangement mode, or whatever it's called. This is the perfect example of just recycling 25 year old games to make a quick buck.

Anyone know what games are coming out this week?

Xevious...cool

game

The above quoted text is the correct portion of what you both typed.

If either of you ever needs to enter an insanity plea in court, I can testify that you were clearly showing signs by May 22, 2007. Xevious a clunker? Xevious is bleh? Looks like two clear cases of crazy to me.

Edited by Atarifever

Yeah, what's wrong with you people? There's nothing as exciting as shooting thousands of china plates while flying over the world's largest golf course! Ooh, here comes some more! Take THAT, you renegade dinnerware!

JR

I'm sorry that the untalaneted programmers made the flying saucer enemies look so much like flying saucers. I'm sure they are very ashamed of their work. Also, I'd hate to get a dinner invitation to your place. If your dinner plates resemble the other 90% of the enemy types in this game, you're eating off some seriously crazy plates.

Yeah, what's wrong with you people? There's nothing as exciting as shooting thousands of china plates while flying over the world's largest golf course! Ooh, here comes some more! Take THAT, you renegade dinnerware!

JR

That being said.. name another shooter from the same period with the same features :P

From what I recall.. the cool thing about Xevious was what I thought was "realistic" metal on the ships. The "huge" boss ship didn't hurt either :lol: Oh and it had secrets too.

But yeah, I'll be the first to say it probably didn't age too well considering. Was really nice for it's time though.

I downloaded Mad Tracks before work this morning, and tried one track out. It didn't knock my socks off. It was pretty easy to convince myself to stop playing and head on to work. It wasn't bad as much as it was just bland as oatmeal. I'm probably going to skip this one unless another play later today reveals some kind of amazing stuff which I just didn't have time to notice earlier.

Microsoft owns Rare. Why don't they just do a remix of R.C. Pro-Am?

JR

That being said.. name another shooter from the same period with the same features :P

From what I recall.. the cool thing about Xevious was what I thought was "realistic" metal on the ships. The "huge" boss ship didn't hurt either :lol: Oh and it had secrets too.

But yeah, I'll be the first to say it probably didn't age too well considering. Was really nice for it's time though.

Back in 1983, it was groundbreaking and state-of-the-art... but that was nearly twenty five years ago! Xevious is one of those games, like Pole Position, that helped define modern gaming concepts but has since been eclipsed by its many descendants. It's not like Donkey Kong, which was not only innovative for its time but has never been surpassed. Its many competitors and even its sequels never captured the qualities that made it special... the closest Nintendo itself had come was with Donkey Kong '94 on the GameBoy, and that was too puzzle-oriented to be considered a real sequel.

JR

JR

Back in 1983, it was groundbreaking and state-of-the-art... but that was nearly twenty five years ago! Xevious is one of those games, like Pole Position, that helped define modern gaming concepts but has since been eclipsed by its many descendants. It's not like Donkey Kong, which was not only innovative for its time but has never been surpassed. Its many competitors and even its sequels never captured the qualities that made it special... the closest Nintendo itself had come was with Donkey Kong '94 on the GameBoy, and that was too puzzle-oriented to be considered a real sequel.

JR

I think this argument is largely based on the tinted glasses you guys are/aren't wearing. Xevious was not to us what it was to Japan, while Donkey Kong was huge here. You argue there's something more to Donkey Kong than to Xevious, I don't see it. I love Donkey Kong. I can beat the Twin Galaxies high score for the 7800 versions of Donkey Kong and DK Jr. now. I have a Donkey Kong Mario Cart RC car. So, don't think I'm knocking Donkey Kong; I love it and think it's a masterpiece. However, I bet if you asked someone in Japan, where Xevious was much bigger (especially on the NES/Famicom), you would not get them defending Donkey Kong and knocking Xevious. I only discovered Xevious a little while ago, and I can't play enough, so I don't think it's necessary to have played it in its hayday in order to love it. However, I can't imagine finding any scale where Donkey Kong beats Xevious so bad that one is said to age well and the other is said to age poorly.

I think this argument is largely based on the tinted glasses you guys are/aren't wearing. Xevious was not to us what it was to Japan, while Donkey Kong was huge here. You argue there's something more to Donkey Kong than to Xevious, I don't see it. I love Donkey Kong. I can beat the Twin Galaxies high score for the 7800 versions of Donkey Kong and DK Jr. now. I have a Donkey Kong Mario Cart RC car. So, don't think I'm knocking Donkey Kong; I love it and think it's a masterpiece. However, I bet if you asked someone in Japan, where Xevious was much bigger (especially on the NES/Famicom), you would not get them defending Donkey Kong and knocking Xevious. I only discovered Xevious a little while ago, and I can't play enough, so I don't think it's necessary to have played it in its hayday in order to love it. However, I can't imagine finding any scale where Donkey Kong beats Xevious so bad that one is said to age well and the other is said to age poorly.

Tis true Xevious is Gods game in Japan.

No offense Jess but DK isn't any better and yes it has been surpassed, just like every retro title.

I personally like the game and don't think it's aged any worse than the bajillian other games from this time period, in fact it's probably aged better than 80% of them. I do think they should have included online play in this version. Still for $5 I give it... :thumbsup:

I actually think Donkey Kong has definitely aged well and is still hyper playable to this day. :P Matter o' fact now that I got my house, that's one of the arcade cabinets I want to put in it :)

Mind you.. I'm talking ARCADE Donkey Kong.. with all it's inherent timing and gameplay nuances. Also the jap vs. U.S. versions etc, (i'd take either). None of the ports are in the same league. But yeah, i can still play and try and master Donkey Kong (my current high is around 150k) and I've been doing it for the past 25+ years without getting tired of it :P It's a true classic :D

Pac Man Championship Edition coming tomorrow

Includes the original game, new maps, game modes. 800 points

$10 for a game I already bought once for $5?

No thanks.

They should sell the updates, that is the graphic overhaul and new maps cheaper for folks who already bought Pac-Man.

I largely agree, but, on the other hand, it's only as much the same game as say Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man are.

I played the trial this morning before work and it was pretty fun. All the dots and energizers aren't visible in the maze at all times. You must eat a certain number before more appear. As far as I saw, waves don't end in the conventional sense. The game is a continuous chase now, making it feel refreshingly frantic.

I'm not keen on the idea of the game being timed instead of the traditional multiple lives concept. On the other hand, it seems to work. Live games seem to all be abandoning the traditional arcade concept of X lives until you can't play anymore. I think this is generally a good thing, but I'm just not sure about fixed time limit Pac-Man games.

I'm leaning towards buying it, but I can definitely understand why others would want to give it a pass. It really should have been $5, or a discount price for existing Pac-Man owners, not $10.

I'm leaning towards buying it, but I can definitely understand why others would want to give it a pass. It really should have been $5, or a discount price for existing Pac-Man owners, not $10.

I just bought Pac-Man last month. It kinda pisses me off that an enhanced version will cost me $10 more. They should let us upgrade for $5 of we already picked up the original.