IGNORED

Live Arcade Games

Gabriel

I bought it and I find it fun. About the price, I don't think it's outrageous. As far as it being cheaper for people who bought pacman already, well it doesn't come with the original version, so those of you who did buy it have something I don't. I don't know, I kinda see both sides of the issue. Still I do think it's a nice update of this classic game.

About the price, I don't think it's outrageous. As far as it being cheaper for people who bought pacman already, well it doesn't come with the original version, so those of you who did buy it have something I don't.

Really? I must have mis-interpreted this quote from 1up then....

Pac-Man Championship Edition will be available tomorrow for 800 Microsoft Points ($10) and includes the classic Pac-Man already available as an XBL Arcade release, plus a slew of new timed modes:

Is that information incorrect?

Pac-Man Championship Edition will be available tomorrow for 800 Microsoft Points ($10) and includes the classic Pac-Man already available as an XBL Arcade release, plus a slew of new timed modes:

Is that information incorrect?

It seems not. I haven't seen the option to play the original on the menus.

I tried it.. I guess I'll buy it. What made me decide to do so was how it's I guess, the "official official" sequel to Pacman if there ever was one, with the actual creator making new mazes for it. So I guess I'm in.

Yeah I saw that shortly after I read the 1up article, that does kinda change things, that and the fact the information about the original game being included seems to be incorrect. I downloaded the trial but haven't tried it yet. Been too hung up on Solitaire (With custom 80's punk soundtrack of course)

Pac-Man C.E. doesn't contain the original (why would it, when it's a separate $5 download?), and 1UP is wrong to suggest it does.

Pac-Man C.E. is GREAT and is definitely worth ten bucks to me. It's a "remake" in the same sense that Tempest 2000 was a remake. The graphics are high definition and fit a wide screen, and the gameplay is completely fresh without ruining the classic elements of chasing and being chased. You can chain the use of power pellets so you can eat the ghosts over and over again -- if you can get a good combo going with each ghost worth 3200 points, you can rack up a huge score in a short amount of time. Because of this pinball-style multiplier system, the short timed games are actually the most fun way to play the game. It progresses to a manic pace very quickly, without a lot of boring repetition like the original versions. Extra lives are east to get, but also easy to lose.

I'm gonna say it!

No, don't say it!

I'm gonna say it...!

They're not going to like this...

I'm saying it anyway. Space Giraffe looks like crap. How the heck are you even supposed to play this with all that confetti thrown in your face? Minter had thirteen years to learn some important lessons from the wicked excess of Tempest 2000, and what does he do? He makes things even worse with the 21st century update, where YOU CAN'T SEE ANYTHING. Isn't it necessary in a VIDEO game to see what's coming after you?

JR

Pac Man CE is phenomenal. It changes the gameplay in meaningful and fun ways, looks and sounds amazing, controls well, and still 'feels' like a real Pac Man game. $10 seemed a little steep until I played it. Definitely worth it for fans of classic games. I would like to play it with a real arcade stick for the 360, though.

Pac Man CE is phenomenal. It changes the gameplay in meaningful and fun ways, looks and sounds amazing, controls well, and still 'feels' like a real Pac Man game. $10 seemed a little steep until I played it. Definitely worth it for fans of classic games. I would like to play it with a real arcade stick for the 360, though.

earlier I bitched about this game...and then I played the demo.

Pac-Man CE is fun as hell. Worth every penny :cool:

I'm gonna say it!

No, don't say it!

I'm gonna say it...!

They're not going to like this...

I'm saying it anyway. Space Giraffe looks like crap. How the heck are you even supposed to play this with all that confetti thrown in your face? Minter had thirteen years to learn some important lessons from the wicked excess of Tempest 2000, and what does he do? He makes things even worse with the 21st century update, where YOU CAN'T SEE ANYTHING. Isn't it necessary in a VIDEO game to see what's coming after you?

If you play it enough, you get into a mental zone where the important stuff sticks out and the superfluous eye candy fades into the background.

Perhaps not everyones' eyes/minds work the same way, but this is certainly how it happens for me. I love Llamasoft games. If you couldn't follow Tempest 2000, you should stay away from Tempest 3000 on the Nuon, which is about 10X busier. There will be a free demo with enough time to see if you'd like it, and the price should only be 400 points. I already know that Space Giraffe is right down my street.

And Pac-Man C.E. is awesome.

Prince of Persia Classic this week according to Major Nelson.

It looks like I won't have to buy any points this week.

This game is getting extremly high ratings from folks who have played it already. Apparently it has graphics better than most full titles and gameplay, in particular the swordplay has been tweeked. I was never a fan of the original much. It was cool and nice to look at but too hard for me. Apparently the new version is more forgiving and has some checkmarks along the way. This is one I'll definately try out the demo for to see if it's everything it's cracked up to be. The downside is the game doesn't have any online capabilities. So once you beat it...Re-play value is nil I'd guess.

I agree with the PA sentiment, though. People throw around scores for classic games without any regard to what they are. What is the game (if I've never played it), how well does the game hold up in 2007 (purely subjective, of course), and how good is the implementation? That's all I want to know. And I might very well disagree one way or another with a reviewer about how well any particular game holds up.

I try to eat as many ghosts as I can... while staying alive! ;) I'm still feeling the game out, though, my high is only 167k. You get a LOT of points for chaining power pills together (i.e. get 4 ghosts, quickly eat another pill, get 4 more, etc). The points don't reset back to 400 if you do it right. On the other hand, every time I leave large sections of dots on one side w/out any power pills it ends up costing me. Points are more important than lives, though. Since I usually don't run out of lives in 5 minutes, so a lot of times in the last minute I do a lot of kamikaze ghost hunting.

Purchased the new pac-man game yesterday. It's wicked fun.

So what strategy do you all use? The eat as many ghosts as you can, or the eat as many dots as you can without dying?

I use the "AAAAAAA!!!!! RUN!!! GET AWAY FROM ME YOU DAMN GHOST!!!!" strategy.

When I'm not practicing that method, I try to always keep one energizer on the screen for emergencies.

I use the side tunnels a lot. I probably overuse them. The corners are absolutely deadly in just about any maze variant, so I try to only clear them when the monsters are far away, or I'm under the protection of an energizer.

Other than that. I just run like hell and play it by ear.