IGNORED

In a Jungle full of wires, only one can be chosen...

Dragnerok X

Which type of wire should I use?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Well...Which one?

• Pretty low guage speaker wire (OVERKILL ;))
    • Standard 2-conductor rca cable
    • Smaller telephone-wire sized cable
    • You need to get some wire, dude! (will ignore)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I recently began thinking about doing a composite video mod for my atari and I need some advice. When it comes to wire I have a TON of it to work with, but not much selection and I need to choose which one I want to use for this project. The poll should explain the rest.

Edited by Dragnerok X

For internal work, I use ribbon cables. They are around 28 gauge and more than enough for video and audio. Externally, you need better cable, especially those shielding.

At one time I had nearly 30 consoles all hooked to one TV (along with VCR, DVD player, and satellite) and while I've cut those back, most of the unused wires still hangs behind the TV. The mess resembles unorganized Christmas lights.

Chalk up another vote for ribbon cables. If you use every other wire, they're spaced just right to solder to a row of resistors. That's what I did when I added an S-video mod to my 7800

I would, but what I've got is what I've got and I don't really have any spare computers lying around but thanks for the suggestion.

:)

I've got ribbon cable coming out of my wazoo.

To be exact, a reel of 20 conductor ribbon cable, originally 500 feet long. About 490 feet left. When separated to individual wires and strung end to end, the reel would amount to 10,000 feet or almost 2 miles.

I got the reel at a bargain since I do use a lot and I was running out of leftover computer cables to cannibalize.

I've got ribbon cable coming out of my wazoo.

To be exact, a reel of 20 conductor ribbon cable, originally 500 feet long. About 490 feet left. When separated to individual wires and strung end to end, the reel would amount to 10,000 feet or almost 2 miles.

I got the reel at a bargain since I do use a lot and I was running out of leftover computer cables to cannibalize.

Irronically, Pc-type ribbon cable is one type of cable I don't have, even though I've got upwards of 6(Working, non-broken) computers!!! Heck, with as much copper wire as you described, you might as well just melt it down and sell it by the bar.

:evil:

Edited by Dragnerok X

What kind of hardware hacker are you that you don't have a junk box full of wires and stuff? I've got tons of ribbon cable from taking apart junk PCs. You just lost a lot of geek cred here. :D

I do. I have DRAWERS and CLOSETS full of pretty much ANY cable you can think of. It's just that what ribbon-related cable I've had has been used up in order to keep my computers running, O.K.?

:x

What kind of hardware hacker are you that you don't have a junk box full of wires and stuff? I've got tons of ribbon cable from taking apart junk PCs. You just lost a lot of geek cred here. :D

That reminds me that even in this tiny apartment I have about half a uhaul box stuffed with dismantled drives, wire, various circuit boards (some PC related, some not), and anything imaginable. That's the "junk" stuff. I've got more than a few other stashes of "working" stuff. (read: stuff that I don't use all the time, have no use for, or haven't tore apart yet).

• 2 weeks later...

O.K. Now that pretty much everyone who wanted to vote has voted, I came to a decision. I'm going to use the "Smaller telephone-wire sized cable" (I told you i'd ignore the last one didn't I? :evil:) . In case you haven't figured it out yet (and I'd be amazed if you had) it pretty much has no correlation to telephone wire what-so-ever (besides the size). No, what it really is, in case you want to know is it's the center core (reasonably high guage) taken from the afformentioned rca cables! It may be crazy, but it's cheap!

:lol: