IGNORED

Save the Whales, etc.

Chris++

I'm one of those people who doesn't care if I have the box to a game or not. But even aside from that -- even stressing my love of playing over collecting -- I don't understand why someone would make a box and manual for duplicates of a prototype. Is it just something extra to fetish? I don't see the sense in it, regarding the actual game itself. It doesn't make an incomplete game any more fun to play!

Since anyone can print up a nifty cardboard box and a manual if they have the cash, could these even be considered "officially released" packages? I don't think they should. I mean, will Elevator Action become a collector's item just because Sean Kelly, multi-cart maker extraordinaire, made a mock-up in his apartment and hired a printer to make a few hundred copies? Sean's a great guy, but I don't understand the motive. Is it just for fun? Am I reading too much into it?

Save the Whales is coming next. Why? It's silly to me. These are bootleg packages and nothing more.

If people put this much effort into making NEW games, we'd have over twice as many.

CF

Yes, they are bootlegs. Whether or not they have any value is up to you. If it's silly to you, then just ignore them and buy one from Hozer later on if you just want the gameplay. Lots of people like the packaging.

It takes a lot more effort to actually program a new game though, than to produce packaging for an unreleased prototype. And they come from different groups of people so I don't think we're missing new games because of it.

Yeah, I know a lot of people like the boxes. This fact continues to astound me. But to each his own, I guess. It's more interesting than collecting coins, anyway.

I know it's a different group of people, but I was hypothetically stating that all of this enthusiasm and creative energy is being wasted on cardboard boxes with zero game play value. :wink:

CF

Yeah, I know a lot of people like the boxes. This fact continues to astound me. But to each his own, I guess. It's more interesting than collecting coins, anyway.

I know it's a different group of people, but I was hypothetically stating that all of this enthusiasm and creative energy is being wasted on cardboard boxes with zero game play value.  :wink:  

CF

Don't try to understand those hardcore collectors. I've treid and I can't.

That doesn't matter to me any more, because I'm sure many of them can't understand me too. But I did understand, that we are very different individuals.

The only thing that really counts is, that we all a parts of the same hobby. :)

BTW: Why are you shouting all the time?

I collect the boxes, but I'm not a hardcore collector of game boxes. I'm mainly interested in the carts. The instructions are next, because there are a few Atari games out there where it helps to have them! :wink: The boxes are least interesting to me, but if I happen upon something great with the box, of course I will get it!

I suppose part of my interest in it is that I am a designer (well, sort of... I do web design and development but the design is always a fascinating part for me). I really think it was the packaging of Atari games that first made me take notice of design as a kid. Not that their designs were really all that great, but it was in collecting the games that I started to notice the way products were packaged, fonts, use of color, artwork, and in particular the elements that were or were not carried over between packages that made the games obviously related but yet still unique. It is cool to recapture some of this initial discovery by getting the boxes again.

At least part of my interest in getting the boxes (and instructions) is just that I carelessly ripped them open and threw them away as a kid, and now I wish I had saved them! (I even threw away all of my much newer 7800 cart boxes 2 years ago when I moved! Why?! WHY?!!)

I wish I can get a copy of Save the Whales. But I think I don't get one. Maybe later from Hozer. :? :?:

I am first too only interested on the cartridges. The second is the manual, and at last I would buy a box.

Only by my favourite games, there I look and buy all variations and complete if I can get them. :)

So you can SHOUTING, and you can shouting. Funny. :P :lol:

i guess i'm what you would LABEL as a hardcore collector! even though i started out as a hardcore gamer i got my 2600 in dec. 77,

in 2 weeks i knew i wanted to be a atari 2600 collector! since i was buying games NEW at 19.95-24.95 each as they came out! yes i paid over 20 bucks for skeet shoot! (bens favorite game) ;) most (65%) of my NTSC collection i got when it first came out!! so almost all of my ntsc collection is boxed!! so i guess that is why i want boxed games over games loose... i'm STILL a hardcore gamer just not of atari!! (playstation 2) ;)

i like what thomas said!! about this (GREAT) hobby... and i will add that the atari or (classic gaming) community is the BEST around!!!

Take care,

Rick

Like Rick, I bought all my 2600 carts new as they came out ($37.99 for Asteroids!). Unfortunately, because I lived in an apartment, I had no room for the boxes and threw them out. I do have all of the manuals though!

Today, I collect everything and prefer the carts in boxes. However, I have no intentions of trying to get back all of the old boxes that I once had.