IGNORED

Buy Pac-Man Collection for the 7800!

Trebor

I understand this project perhaps hit too close to home for you, being that you were a part of the project creation and release of Super Pac-Man for mobile devices and other projects for Namco, and I do not doubt your sincerity behind your post in protecting your work and Namco’s rights. However, we're talking about Pac-Man Collection for the Atari 7800, not Pac-Man Collection for mobile devices. -Trebor

There are no 7800 emulators for mobile devices?

You can make the emulator argument for any modern platform.

Yes, just like there is not only Atari 7800 emulator for mobile devices (Like PSP), MAME and many other emulators for modern systems have many emulators. Regardless, I purchased Namco Musuem for my Gameboy Advance as well as Namco Compilations (and now come to think about it) Digital Leisures Williams Arcade Ports for the PC. I bought Midway Treasures as well.

This is despite MAME and other Arcade emulators and numerous console emulators which have ports of the same titles that were and are emulated perfectly.

Again, support for any company will wane if it should take up such an offense against a product or/and person on such an obsolete platform.

-Trebor

It was no secret PMC was being developed. If it was going to be a problem, why didn't someone have the decency to answer Bob's emails or at the very least, to send him a cease and desist before he put all the time forth that PMC took to finish?

I understand this project perhaps hit too close to home for you, being that you were a part of the project creation and release of Super Pac-Man for mobile devices and other projects for Namco, and I do not doubt your sincerity behind your post in protecting your work and Namco’s rights. However, we're talking about Pac-Man Collection for the Atari 7800, not Pac-Man Collection for mobile devices. -Trebor

There are no 7800 emulators for mobile devices?

You can make the emulator argument for any modern platform.

Yes, just like there is not only Atari 7800 emulator for mobile devices (Like PSP), MAME and many other emulators for modern systems have many emulators. Regardless, I purchased Namco Musuem for my Gameboy Advance as well as Namco Compilations (and now come to think about it) Digital Leisures Williams Arcade Ports for the PC. I bought Midway Treasures as well.

This is despite MAME and other Arcade emulators and numerous console emulators which have ports of the same titles that were and are emulated perfectly.

Again, support for any company will wane if it should take up such an offense against a product or/and person on such an obsolete platform.

-Trebor

Despite emulation, I think I have, let's see, eight versions of the plain old original PacMan, three from last generation alone, and I'm waiting anxiously for the new Wii Namco collection. The people who buy homebrews are the kind of people who own hundreds of games and game compilations anyway.

Edited by Atarifever

Hi everyone... :)

Thanks for all of the backup on this, but I think it might be a little too early to jump the gun - nothing has been said directly to me (or Al as far as I know) about 7800 PMC, and I believe (hope) Big_Mo was just making a comment on the first post. The second post he was talking about what is involved in getting licensing agreement. I have sent him a PM regarding this, and I hope to continue the discussion with him via PM.

I don't want to stir up any bad feelings on either side, as that is not the goal here. I just wanted to make what I would have loved to see back in the day, and like I told Big_Mo, "something for the Pac-Man fanatics like myself".

I am currently trying very hard to do something similar with an Atari title, although I'm a bit farther back that I thought I would be with figuring it out. :(

Thanks again everyone,

Bob

Thanks for all of the backup on this, but I think it might be a little too early to jump the gun - nothing has been said directly to me (or Al as far as I know) about 7800 PMC, and I believe (hope) Big_Mo was just making a comment on the first post. The second post he was talking about what is involved in getting licensing agreement. I have sent him a PM regarding this, and I hope to continue the discussion with him via PM.

I don't want to stir up any bad feelings on either side, as that is not the goal here. I just wanted to make what I would have loved to see back in the day, and like I told Big_Mo, "something for the Pac-Man fanatics like myself".

I am currently trying very hard to do something similar with an Atari title, although I'm a bit farther back that I thought I would be with figuring it out. :(

Thanks again everyone,

Bob

Oh, I don't want to sound like I am at all upset with Namco. Quite the oposite. I am thrilled that a company I am such a big fan of HAS been great about this. It was on Joystig, Bob wrote them himself, I've seen reviews of it all over, and still Namco have not attacked Bob or Atariage in any way. That's what I want to see. I want to see them ignore things that do them no harm and do fans a lot of good. I like seeing things like Atari giving away prizes at classic game shows. I like to see programmers of old games doing interviews on classic gaming sites. I like seeing companies release prototypes. Those things make me like the companies more.

All I am doing is saying what I feel if a company does the opposite for no good reason. I understand why Namco would want to keep their games from being released illegally on the Xbox, or Wii, or whatever and being sold by someone else online to thousands or hundreds of thousands of people. If they wanted to sue someone for that, it would not impact my feelings of them one way or the other. I mean, they are making money on the Xbox live downloads, they can make money on a Virtual Console version, they still have product on the shelves with PacMan for GBA. Someone else serving those systems in the same way is money out of their pockets potentially.

However, it isn't like I waited 15 years with no PacMan game and then, just as I was about to break down and buy a Namco Museum, Bob rushed in there and stole the sale right out from under them by releasing for the red hot Atari 7800. I would guess there are fewer gamers who have heard of the 7800 than there are gamers who have bought a Namco museum last generation.

Edited by Atarifever

Thanks again everyone,

Bob

Oh, I don't want to sound like I am at all upset with Namco. Quite the oposite. I am thrilled that a company I am such a big fan of HAS been great about this. It was on Joystig, Bob wrote them himself, I've seen reviews of it all over, and still Namco have not attacked Bob or Atariage in any way. That's what I want to see. I want to see them ignore things that do them no harm and do fans a lot of good. I like seeing things like Atari giving away prizes at classic game shows. I like to see programmers of old games doing interviews on classic gaming sites. I like seeing companies release prototypes. Those things make me like the companies more.

All I am doing is saying what I feel if a company does the opposite for no good reason. I understand why Namco would want to keep their games from being released illegally on the Xbox, or Wii, or whatever and being sold by someone else online to thousands or hundreds of thousands of people. If they wanted to sue someone for that, it would not impact my feelings of them one way or the other. I mean, they are making money on the Xbox live downloads, they can make money on a Virtual Console version, they still have product on the shelves with PacMan for GBA. Someone else serving those systems in the same way is money out of their pockets potentially.

However, it isn't like I waited 15 years with no PacMan game and then, just as I was about to break down and buy a Namco Museum, Bob rushed in there and stole the sale right out from under them by releasing for the red hot Atari 7800. I would guess there are fewer gamers who have heard of the 7800 than there are gamers who have bought a Namco museum last generation.

Yep...what he said. My sentiments exactly.

It would have been nice for Big_Mo to have PM'ed you with his thoughts and could have saved a lot posts to this thread though.

Anyhow, enough on this topic. Let's change subject...high scores post, anyone? :)

Yep...what he said. My sentiments exactly.

It would have been nice for Big_Mo to have PM'ed you with his thoughts and could have saved a lot posts to this thread though.

Anyhow, enough on this topic. Let's change subject...high scores post, anyone? :)

Ahh come on it's more fun to argue about copyrights and trademarks because that rarely happens around here.

Honestly, I posted out in the open because so many people in the classic gaming community (and the populace in general) are ignorant of the realities of of Copyright and Trademark protection. Companies who own such properties cannot be sent to have abandoned them, or they set precedents that are hard to fight if a larger violation happens.

And, while it may be no secret that a given game was being developed, only people involved in the classic gaming community would be aware of it.

Honestly, I posted out in the open because so many people in the classic gaming community (and the populace in general) are ignorant of the realities of of Copyright and Trademark protection. Companies who own such properties cannot be sent to have abandoned them, or they set precedents that are hard to fight if a larger violation happens.

And, while it may be no secret that a given game was being developed, only people involved in the classic gaming community would be aware of it.

No one is saying for Namco (Or any company) to "abandon" their rights.

Big_Mo, it probably would be best for this to continue via PM with PacManPlus, as already stated earlier in the thread.

-Trebor

No one is saying for Namco (Or any company) to "abandon" their rights.

Big_Mo, it probably would be best for this to continue via PM with PacManPlus, as already stated earlier in the thread.

-Trebor

Yes, no one is saying they want anyone to "abandon" their rights, but failure to protect a Copyright is, by legal standards, effectively a step in that direction.

I've said my piece.

--END OF LINE--

Yes, no one is saying they want anyone to "abandon" their rights, but failure to protect a Copyright is, by legal standards, effectively a step in that direction.

I've said my piece.

--END OF LINE--

And they take 10 steps forward protecting a Copyright, by legal standards, on all modern/current platforms which actually makes the company money, affecting the company financially. So that would pretty much nagate that.

Again, allowing this 'step' by letting a product on a 20+ year old console results in maintaining good PR and good faith in the gaming community. It helps to ensure sales and support to the company now and in the future, as gamers like the ones who already spoke up on this thread have proven. By not allowing it would only damage the company's reputation and sales of current product(s).

-Trebor