IGNORED

Wii Classic Controller

moycon

There is now finally a VC game that sorta requires the classic controller. Although in the descriptions when downloading it...it shows the classic and the cube controller. That game is Castlevania IV. When you fire it up, it comes up with a screen that says you have to use the classic controller. And the problem with this, is that it comes up to the Wii remote properties screen before starting the game. At this point, the Wii remote is now locked out..and won't sync or anything to the Wii. Using the gamecube controller also will not remove the Wii remote properties screen. The solution is that you have to use the classic controller to close out that screen to continue onto the game.

But...I don't have a classic controller. So I found that I could then press Reset on the front of the Wii..and this will then cause the VC game to restart and not the Wii. I was then able to use the cube controller to play Castlevania IV. But what a PAIN in the ASS! Why couldn't they still allow the Wii remote to close out of the Wii control properties screen at least?!

The other caveat to all of this, is that the only way to stop playing castlevania is to completly power cycle the Wii to get the main menu and Wii remote to sync back up. The problem with this...is that a save state file never gets made for Castlevania doing this...ugh...time to start writing down those passwords again...

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know about this.

And before anyone asks...ALL of my VC games pull up the Wii remote properties screen before the games start. I find this annoying...but don't see anyway around it. I just click on close usually and continue on. But again, on Castlevania...the remotes are locked out...argh......

That's odd, I played CastleVania IV with a cube controller and didn't have any trouble using the wiimote to exit back to the main menu. A bug perhaps? FWIW I don't have a classic controller either.

hate to break it to you.. but ALL snes games require a gamecube or classic controller...as do n64 games. in fact, to my knowledge.. the only games you CAN play on the wiimote are tg16 and nes games.

Genny games work with the wiimote, too, although depending on how they use the A button, some might be pretty tough.

Well...what I noticed is that my Wii remotes actually unsync whenever I start a game and then resync themselves as the games load. This goes for ALL games. Wii, Cube, and VC games. But on the VC games, the Wii remote properties screen will pop up automatically. The only time this doesn't happen, is when I am playing a VC game for the very first time. So it must have something to do with the save states. The first time I played Castlevania IV I didn't have to worry about the Wii remote because it just went straight to the game. I think I was still able to exit from it at that point as well with the Wii remote. That created the save state file for it. Now, as all my other VC games do, the Wii remote properties will pop up and I usually have to do is click on the home button to close it out. With Castlevania, the Wii remote completely unsyncs and will not resync with the Wii. I have two remotes, and neither is able to sync up while Castlevania is running. Strange...Castlevania is also my first SNES games I've downloaded from the VC. It also seems to be the largest VC game I have downloaded thus far.

Long ago I read that the classic controller could be used for multi platform wii games that don't use the wii remote. Is this still true?

As stated in one of my posts in the now infamous "Smashing Success" thread, yes. The Classic Controller, as well as the GameCube controller in many cases, can be used in Wii games where the remote is not necessary and/or feasible to use.

Now my reference was mainly toward Metal Slug Anthology, which uses the GCN controller but not the Classic Controller, but I also included a small comment that I believe the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Brawl will use the GCN controller and Classic Controller (your preference).

As stated in one of my posts in the now infamous "Smashing Success" thread, yes. The Classic Controller, as well as the GameCube controller in many cases, can be used in Wii games where the remote is not necessary and/or feasible to use.

In theory, yes, but I would very much expect this to not happen very often at all. I would think that Nintendo would veto most games that do not include some sort of Wii Remote functionality, as it would negate the system. Looking at the DS I actually can't think of any games that don't use the touch screen at least as an optional control method, and much like Metal Slug, I'd expect this going forward with Wii

Uhhh.. Yoshi's island DS dosn't use the touch screen at all. And it's from nintendo.

You can use it for menu navigation and such though, so in a sense it does use touch control at least to a point. My original point is that you aren't likely to find Wii games that don't use the remote in any way, just like you aren't likely to find DS games that don't use the stylus or something at least a little.

Only one of my three DS games can use the touch screen for control, and they're all 1st party Nintendo releases.

What are the other 2? They really don't use the touch screen at all?

Only one of my three DS games can use the touch screen for control, and they're all 1st party Nintendo releases.

What are the other 2? They really don't use the touch screen at all?

I have been playing through "Mario & Luigi:Partners in Time" and it doesn't use the touch screen at all. It has graphics on both screens of course, but literally no menu navigation or anything is done via touch screen. You can't even start the game by touching the screen. Kind of surprising actually.