IGNORED

PS3's for sale in stores ! ? !

Red 5

So I am in the mall today finishing up my Christmas shopping.

I walk into Software Etc. in the Meriden Square Mall here in Connecticut just to browse.

They had 5.

Five PS3's.

It was 1:30 PM and the stores were all packed.

Is this a weird occurence or are these things seriously selling this badly.

Ebay is stocked with them selling just above retail. The average price for a system seems to be

only $650 to $750 with no game.

Not trying to start an arguement with Sony fanboys, but is it really this bad out there for Sony?

I know they are selling like crazy in Japan, but it seems like it is in trouble in the states.

Edited by therealred5

Not trying to start an arguement with Sony fanboys, but is it really this bad out there for Sony? I know they are selling like crazy in Japan, but it seems like it is in trouble in the states.

They're selling out immediately here as well. There is no 'really bad'

You happened to hit a store that got a resupply. Yesterday and today EB/GS has been getting PS3 units in. I accidentally stumbled upon a store yesterday in the afternoon shortly after when they got a shipment (10) in, so I picked one up for my friend. I showed up about 15 minutes after they received them and half were gone already.

The ebay scalpers flooded themselves out of the market. People came to the realization that there are units coming in constantly, and while its still a large matter of luck - you might be able to pick one up retail instead of paying a ransom on ebay. So ebay PS3 prices have come way down. I hope all the multi unit scalpers can't pay their credit card bills.

Edited by remowilliams

Not trying to start an arguement with Sony fanboys, but is it really this bad out there for Sony?

I know they are selling like crazy in Japan, but it seems like it is in trouble in the states.

Dunno. One thing to consider is that the PS3 is more expensive than both of it's competitors, so every purchase of a PS3 is a more heavily weighted "vote."

I've seen both PS3s and Wii's in stores recently, it actually took longer for 360s to become available than either of the two current new systems.

I've seen both PS3s and Wii's in stores recently, it actually took longer for 360s to become available than either of the two current new systems.

I actually did not see a 360 around here until April. And that was a Core system.

I'm not really expecting to see a PS3 or Wii here for a while, either. Just too damn many people.

There's this web site I watch that tracks all the stores that have them in stock online. Wal-Mart has had them periodically since launch, only in bundles that cost more than $1,000. They always sell out within a day, even at that price.

I would say there is still plenty of demand, and I have yet to see one in any B&M store personally. Yesterday a lot of stores restocked for Sunday ads, so you could potentially find a few that hadn't been noticed yet in certain areas if you hit the stores right after they put them on the shelf. But I guarantee they were gone within 5 minutes of your leaving the store.

One of the local Circuit City stores where I live got a shipment of 15 units today. I picked one up for my brother (60 GB version), after calling him to see if he wanted one. I was lucky in that the units weren't even out on the floor yet, but one of the staff people there was telling people in the video game section they just had some units delivered. It was also fortuitous that I even went to that Circuit City - it was sorta a last minute decision in large part because I hadn't been to that store since Black Friday and wanted to see what cheap PS2 and XBox games they had compared to the Circuit City closest to where I live.

Incidentally, if you do manage to get a PS3 at Circuit City, you get a $50 gift card. The store has a deal between 12/11 and 12/23 where if you spend over $100, you get a specified value gift card. If you spend between $500 and $999.99, you get a $50 gift card. Also, for sales tax purposes my clerk rang up the unit as if it were $550, so I (well, actually my brother) saved $3 in PA sales tax.

Edited by CHIP72

I saw three for sale at Target last week. I almost got one but when I went to look at the games to see what I would get there was nothing I wanted, except Resistance. Perhaps I'm not the smartest gene in the pool but spending $600 for one game..... not me. Hopefully in six months or so they will have more games and I'll pick one up then.

The ebay scalpers flooded themselves out of the market. People came to the realization that there are units coming in constantly, and while its still a large matter of luck - you might be able to pick one up retail instead of paying a ransom on ebay. So ebay PS3 prices have come way down. I hope all the multi unit scalpers can't pay their credit card bills.

Well, I still haven't seen one for sale in a store yet, but I always check my local craigslist just to see PS3 prices. Today I think is the day we see buyers remorse. Some people are advertising PS3's for cost plus sales tax and a few others want to sell for a little bit over that.

It's funny to think that someone spent all night in line waiting to buy a PS3 and will only be selling for it what they paid for it! :rolling: Of course it probably didn't happen that way, but it's fun to think it anyway! :twisted:

Circuit City had 10 today.

Just sitting there.

2:00 PM on my lunch break.

You can't tell me these are anywhere near as popular as people thought they would be.

Meanwhile, I happily have a Wii. I have had one since launch. Since then though, I have actively looked

for them for my brother and two co-workers. I've been pretty actively searching and they have been searching harder than I have.

Two out of those three broke down and paid Ebay prices. The third waited in line at Best Buy this last Sunday. Got there at 1:00 AM and was 19th in line. The store had 25. He was lucky. He claimed that there were at least 100 people who lined up by the time the doors opened.

With the numbers of how many Wii systems were made, vs. the measly number of PS3's made, I would say

this is a pretty big tell of how this holiday season went.

Once again, I am not a Nintendo fanboy. I actually like my 360 best. My Wii may be a doorstop after I beat Zelda. I just think that Sony may be in deep crap here and this launch may be considered a complete failure.

I was seriously going to go out and look for a PS3 or Wii, but then I decided that until they come out with a game I want to play I'm not going to bother. The only game on either console that interested me was Zelda on the Wii but now that I got it for my GC I don't even need that anymore.

Tempest

Circuit City had 10 today.

Just sitting there.

2:00 PM on my lunch break.

You can't tell me these are anywhere near as popular as people thought they would be.

I think the fact it is so close to Christmas and many people have already bought many of their Christmas presents hurts potential "Santa Claus" PS3 purchases. Most people aren't going to pick up a $600 item on a whim.

FWIW, I heard on the radio the other day the results of a survey that asked single men and women what they wanted most for Christmas. The PS3 ranked #3 for men, while the Wii didn't make either list.

Edited by CHIP72