IGNORED

Two different keyboards on the 600/800XL

Scream And Fly

I searched for this one, but could not come up with anything. I've always noticed that the 600XL and 800XL models came with two keyboard styles. One style has the highlighted writing a solid color (control key, arrows, etc.) and the other has a white line around the text. Any information on this?

Images as follows:

Atari%20800XL.JPG

Atari_800XL_Large.jpg

Actually, there are probably 3 or more varieties.

Flat keys (more or less parallel with the profile of the front of the case) and more traditional (and nicer to use) stepped keys.

Factor in the keycap differences, plus possibly add another variation if you count the 1200XL.

Actually, there are probably 3 or more varieties.

Flat keys (more or less parallel with the profile of the front of the case) and more traditional (and nicer to use) stepped keys.

Factor in the keycap differences, plus possibly add another variation if you count the 1200XL.

The 1200XL is a separate issue, alltogether..

But on the 600xl and 800xl, there are alot more than 3 keyboard types.. Beetle and I are going to make a webpage VERY SOON to document all of the known types, and post pictures for identification purposes, and list the pros/cons/characteristics of each type.

The 1200XL is a separate issue, alltogether..

But on the 600xl and 800xl, there are alot more than 3 keyboard types.. Beetle and I are going to make a webpage VERY SOON to document all of the known types, and post pictures for identification purposes, and list the pros/cons/characteristics of each type.

That would be great, looking forward to it. Thanks for the info guys. I always remembered some differences even when I was little. Of all the machines I used, the 1200XL was always my favorite.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have 3 800xl's here. One has a black board, and the other two are on red boards.

On my black board one, the keys are flat (not stepped). The characters on the keys are very large, and the "give" to the keys feels scratchy. This is my least favorite of the three. It really has an awful feel to it, compared to the others. The "ATARI 800XL" aluminum plate on top also has a larger font than the others.

The two red board ones are slightly different, but pretty much feel the same when you type on them.

The difference on them is that one has things like "CLR" "CONTROL" and the arrow keys in empty black boxes (with white outlines), while the other one has them written in inverse (Black on a white rectangle, on a black key). The black board variant also has those same keys as black text on white rectangles, which is also just like my 800 as well.

-Tara

I searched for this one, but could not come up with anything. I've always noticed that the 600XL and 800XL models came with two keyboard styles. One style has the highlighted writing a solid color (control key, arrows, etc.) and the other has a white line around the text. Any information on this?

Images as follows:

Atari%20800XL.JPG

Atari_800XL_Large.jpg

I personally know of at least 2 types.

type 1 is a circuit board type, the keys soldered to it and the cable is mini single strand wires if memory is correct.

type 2 is a steel backed mylar type with a clear flexable cable with silver tracks.

Most likely there will be several variations of each type.

James

There are 5 different 600/800XL keyboards documented here in this post from Beetle

I've seen 5 different versions in the 600/800XL. 3 with different circuit boards, and 2 variations on the mylar type. My favorite is the orange circuit board one with the small letters on the caps.

Edit: Beetle has identified a 6th one! I can tell you that the Mylar keyboard comes in either smooth or textured keycaps.

Edited by Bryan