IGNORED

Various Game Controller pics (& things that plug into a Joystick port)

doctorclu

Rare Newport Design Pro-Stick (original).

Hey, that's got a nice 1960s retro look to it... reminds me of Dad's old radio controlled model plane transmitters from around then.

Does it use microswitches, leaf springs, or something else?

Heh! I wouldn't say 60's but it does date back to say the Apple II days. Most Apple compatible joysticks (analog) back then did use the same mechs as RC control units.The Prostick, although available in an Apple II flavor, still used switches, not potentiometers.

Speaking of which, the switches are heavy duty leaf springs. I just learned (from re-reading the review) that the tension can be increased (but I like it light).

This is the only joystick I used from 1982 (or 1983) until say 2005, when Slor sent me a couple of Competition Pro sticks. Very good joysticks I might add but the actual stick of the Newport Machine Design model feels better. Competition Pro's are better for any game that requires heavy use of the trigger.

I'd like to find another Newport stick but at least I have one good stick for each of my A8's and for one emulator.

-Steve Sheppard

Is that my MPP-1000E 300bps modem in there? I think I gave that to you months ago...

:)

Yeh I have two of those, one still in the box. I am impressed with joystick modems, just wish these went faster than 300 baud.

Speaking of exchanges, you still have those strange controllers with the large number buttons on them? That was the most bizarre Atari controller I have seen yet.

Yes! I will have to take a picture! Also, this will connect to the Atari joystick port.... it is my ST2Jamma board, but you could connect the Atari 8bit joystick ports to a real arcade cabinet with it... (and maybe get a B&W picture from the 8bit as well on the RGB monitor :)

gallery_4398_26_41722.jpg

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...=si&img=316

Also, I see that my CX-85 made it in the post as well. :)

Edited by Cybernoid

Rare Newport Design Pro-Stick (original).

post-9154-1166498306_thumb.jpg

I can't play Ms. Pacman or Donkey Kong without this stick. It uses an arcade quality mechism but I'm not sure of the origin. Unfortunately the overall ergonomics are terrible. The button is stiff. The size and shape make this joystick awkard to use in the hands or on the table.

That thing looks awesome! :)

post-11785-1166614211_thumb.jpgpost-11785-1166614107.jpg

This JAMMA joystick is on my wishlist for my 5200. I suppose with the Redemtion device this Sega version would work fine. There's also a 2600 version available. Lefty and righty67 versions too.

http://www.goatstore.com/info.php?id=811314

If anyone has been followring DoctorKamino doing his month of 2600 on youtube, this is the joystick he uses and shows on occasion.

This JAMMA joystick is on my wishlist for my 5200. I suppose with the Redemtion device this Sega version would work fine. There's also a 2600 version available. Lefty and righty67 versions too.

http://www.goatstore.com/info.php?id=811314

If anyone has been followring DoctorKamino doing his month of 2600 on youtube, this is the joystick he uses and shows on occasion.

I like these joysticks! Awesome... The price is a little high, but...

I have a few joysticks not mentioned.

My favourite, other than the Slik Stik, is the Starfighter. Both are small, like the Atari standard, but are much sturdier.

Also, here's the Track & Field controller mentioned earlier.

post-1517-1166658109_thumb.jpg

Here are some others I have, including a variation of the Epyx 500XJ... It's made by Wico and is coated in rubber. The other two are the Roklan controller that I can't get to work right, and the Gemstik, another quality Atari knockoff.

post-1517-1166658489_thumb.jpg

Oh, this is cool! PQ The Party Quiz game. It has a cable that plugs into joystick ports 1 and 2 on one end, and a phonejack on the other. That phonejack plugs into a small rectangular port that has places for the four controllers to plug into, via more phonejack ports.

post-1517-1166658699_thumb.jpg post-1517-1166659323_thumb.jpg

Finally, the one I probably use the most, is actually the Jaguar controller, hooked to the A8 via Best Electronics adaptor cable.

post-1517-1166659405_thumb.jpg

There ya go!

Cheers,

Smeg

Atari Smeghead=Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 PM

My favourite, other than the Slik Stik, is the Starfighter. Both are small, like the Atari standard, but are much sturdier.

Also, here's the Track & Field controller mentioned earlier.

Naturally I would love to see the Starfighter stick sometime.

Here are some others I have, including a variation of the Epyx 500XJ... It's made by Wico and is coated in rubber. The other two are the Roklan controller that I can't get to work right, and the Gemstik, another quality Atari knockoff.

Roklan controller? Nice! Being a big Wizard of Wor fan myself.

Oh, this is cool! PQ The Party Quiz game. It has a cable that plugs into joystick ports 1 and 2 on one end, and a phonejack on the other. That phonejack plugs into a small rectangular port that has places for the four controllers to plug into, via more phonejack ports.

There we go Cybernoid, I think this is the controllers you have. Was this a fun quiz game?

Finally, the one I probably use the most, is actually the Jaguar controller, hooked to the A8 via Best Electronics adaptor cable.

How does that work? I imagine you get the directional controllers and the A fire button? I just realized that I could get my Super Mas Prostick working on my Atari 800. That would be fun!! Thinking about picking up that adaptor this year. Or making one. :)

Oh, I took these pictures for the Spy Hunter "Dual Controller" threads that have been going around and thought I would add it here. It is a base that you can put two Atari sticks in....

post-4709-1167239950_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1167240060_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu

I loved the original atari stick but maybe not lately. Right now I have modded a N64 controller and love the feel of the buttons and layout. Also made it 7800 compatible, and I added a var resistor for a built in paddle controller. Any other hacked or modded joysticks out there?

post-11435-1167633818_thumb.jpg

Howdy folks

Maybe somebody could upload some pictures of some of the different versions of the MultiJoy interface. Since most multijoy interfaces are built by different people, they all look different to us, but to the computer, they all look the same. Except for the fact that the Multijoy8 versions can "only" handle 8 joysticks and Multijoy16 can handle 16 at the same time.

Greetings

Mathy

Finally - I got around to actually getting some photos of the Zipstick. They were popular over here in the height of gaming. I remember the text on the box. "Steel shaft, microswitches in every direction and built-in autofire". :)

Here's the photos

Top down view:

post-4247-1168117530_thumb.jpg

The Rubber Feet for sticking to the desk:

post-4247-1168117519_thumb.jpg

Finally, the Autofire switch:

post-4247-1168117509_thumb.jpg

Best joystick ever... :)

• 2 weeks later...

At last I have found some time to take photos of my joysticks and a printer + plotter that plug into a joystick port.

post-9085-1169248787_thumb.jpgpost-9085-1169248809_thumb.jpg

This is the Czech 1-dot matrix printer Tesla BT100. On the 2nd photo it is built in the Tesla SP 210 tape recorder.

It was, among other sarcastic nicks, dubbed "the tattoer". There were some modifications like adding a second needle, speedup and even a scanner mod. Those who think it's not crazy enough should see this video. Paul Slocum's dot matrix synth is better but still, it's cool. :cool:

post-9085-1169248836_thumb.jpgpost-9085-1169248874_thumb.jpg

This is the Czech Alfi plotter made of the Merkur kit.

post-9085-1169249442_thumb.jpgpost-9085-1169249471_thumb.jpg

A truly weird joystick made by the Slovak company OPVS Dolný Kubín. The switches are on the bottom and you have to press it in the right direction against the table.

post-9085-1169250062_thumb.jpg

Another joystick made in the former Czechoslovakia. They usually had no connector and it was up to the buyer to get one (not always an easy task) matching with his computer.

post-9085-1169250217_thumb.jpg

So when the joysticks were either unavailable or too expensive to one's taste and one happened to work in a factory he often decided to build one himself. Try to guess what the actual stick was originaly a part of. :D

post-9085-1169250387_thumb.jpgpost-9085-1169250627_thumb.jpg

This is my 7800 joypad whose original owner either broke or lost the stick so I ordered a custom-made replacement from my skillful relative. The second one is the Atari AW203 alias Sears Video Arcade II joystick/paddle combo. I wonder if there are any games taking advantage of both parts at the same time. :)

post-9085-1169250857_thumb.jpg

The Sega Light Phaser. Quite a common mod I guess.

post-9085-1169251059_thumb.jpg

When I first saw the QuickJoy 120 I thought it was out of this world. 15 years later when I got it almost for free I changed my mind. :roll:

post-9085-1169251265_thumb.jpg

The Alfadata Alfapen is waiting in a queue to be tested with my Atari. Hope it won't be completely useless.

And finally a few rather common joysticks:

post-9085-1169251470_thumb.jpgpost-9085-1169251481_thumb.jpgpost-9085-1169251488_thumb.jpgpost-9085-1169251496_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

My favorite? Wico is what I use right now for 2600, I'm going to try to get one of those Epyx 500XJ sticks when I order my replacement Commodore 64C, Quickshots look decent for flying games, but that Zipstick looks amazing! Looks like a Competition Pro (another good one, not too common in the US though), only better. Could anyone sell me one? I would even pay international shipping if the actual price of the joystick isn't too high.

Hello guys

HARdwareDOC's Nun-Joy:

nunjoy.jpg

The latest version is also compatible with "that other brand of computers". Commie...something... ;)

Mathy

PS Nun-Joy is the small board in the lower middle of the picture. The black thing on the left is a Nintendo Nun-Chuck. The cable is an extension cable, also by Nintendo.

Edited by Mathy