IGNORED

Replacing the Games(EPROM) of a Multi-Game Clone

bLUEbYTE

Hi fellow Atarians,

Long time passed since my last post, I missed this great forum.

Today I have taken apart one of my VCS clones and here is the guts:

phto0045ws5.jpg

I was surprised how simplified the PCB was. I guess this is a very low-quality clone.

As you see, there are two big ICs. One reads 4000-0001P and the other (to the right, longer one) reads 3289 9213A 225691

There are also two small ICs behind the cart socket. The machine also has a three-way switch to choose between 128-32-32 games (although they are mostly duplicates). The switching between the games are achieved by a switch in front of the unit (in place of color/bw TV switch)

Anyways, my goal is to take the ROM in which the games reside apart, and then have another (bigger) EPROM filled with my selection of games(2k-4k-8k), not concerned with bankswitching games. I think it would be a good idea to solder a ROM socked in place of the removed ROM, and then using my custom EPROMs on it. Also, I am not sure which one of those two ICs is the ROM IC.

And pointers and ideas are welcome on how to do this. I do have some soldering experience, but I have no EPROMs or any related equipment, although may go and buy some stuff accordig to your recommendations.