IGNORED

FILE magazine, collecting a year of EDGE per volume

Just got my copy of volume 1 of this thing today. A quick flip through tells me the internet trolls were right -- the thing is full of scanned articles and iffy color photos that look like they were done on a drying-up inket printer. :( I want more. They really should just release a DVD full of scans and be done with it.

Yes, EDGE (UK) and Next Generation (US) were "sister" magazines and shared a lot of the same features. The main difference is that Next Gen died soon after the GameCube came out, and EDGE is still going. It's a little expensive compared to US magazines, but I like the fact that it isn't as kiddie and "buyer's-guide" focused as most others. They have a USA subscriber rate now which makes it a bit more of a deal, but it doesn't include the specials like FILE.

DVD scans would be as good as they wanted them to be; the only limiting factor is file size. I have a nice set of DVDs from The New Yorker magazine that came out just fine, and they go back to the 1920's.

• 2 weeks later...