IGNORED

Game Ideas that need to be programmed ...

Rob Mitchell

I know someone is thinking of programming a real graphical Lunar Lander game for the 2600 ..

But what about a text game of Lunar Lander that uses the stellar track / dark mage text engine? Player could enter (via keyboard) fuel use over time, and the program would give altitude and velocity/ acceleration. Like the text version of Lunar Lander that existed before video games. When you run out of fuel, it goes into displaying the falling altitude quickly ...

I have made a suggestion of another keyboard game some time ago .. but noone went with it ...

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Hearts & Bones

Game Name: Hearts & Bones

Description: MS:Minesweeper clone.

Game type: Puzzle

Board Screen: 9 Vertical Squares by 15 horizontal squares. Each level

starts with 8 visible hearts.

Control: Atari Keyboard Controller

Number of players: 1

Scoring: GAME HIGH (score based on level), HEARTS (Score), BONUS

(Mines), MARKS (your marks).

Exerpt from instructions:

"The goal of this game is to reach all of the Hearts without stepping

upon any bones. You get one point for each Heart that you reach, and

once you have gotten all eight Hearts on the board, a new board is set

up, and play continues. When the last Heart on a board is reached, you

will receive a BONUS of an additional eight Hearts if all non- Bone

(safe) squares have been explored or if all Bones have been correctly

marked. A square is considered 'explored' if it shows a number. Each

time you move to a new square a number is displayed in that square. The

number represents how many of the eight adjacent squares contain Bones. The squares at the sides of the board have less than eight adjacent squares. Your starting position is always in the upper left corner of the board, and is indicated by the square cursor. As you move about

the board, if you step on a square that has no adjacent Bones, the game

automatically looks out from that point revealing all adjoining '0'

squares and neighbors.

You can specify how many bones you wish to have on the starting

board. Default is 20 bones to start. Movement is controlled by

pressing a number on the number pad. Directional movement keys are 1

through 9 with the exception of 5. 5 is the default MARK key. You can

MARK and un-MARK squares that you suspect of having BONES by pressing the MARK key followed by a direction key (1-9). Once you have MARKed a square you will not be able to move onto that square accidentally. If you decide that it doesn't really contain Bones it can be un-MARKed in the same way that it was MARKed, and then you can move onto it. When you complete a board, the number of Bones is increased by one on the next board. The game ends when you step on Bones."

Very Addictive gameplay! This game is built into the HP95LX and HP

200LX palmtops. It is better and more challenging than MS:Minesweeper

because the player must march across the board rather than randomly with mouse placement. It would be unique on the Atari 2600 because it would be the first homebrew game to use the keyboard controllers. (Yes I know about the SynthCart that uses both keyboards). If anyone who wants to take this challenge and program this game on the 2600, I can send screenshots of the game working on my palmtop.

I have been interested in learning the ancient game of Go. Since I know I have seen Chess, Checkers, and Orthello as 2600 games, designing Go should be practicle because it is a similar grid-based board game. I checked the list of games for the 2600 and didn't see a Go game there, so I believe it would be original.

:arrow: If you want to look further into the game you can click HERE for the American Go Association website.

Send me some shots and I'll tell you if it is posible.

I'll do some print screens and see if they can be scanned. .. I might have to get your address and send via slow mail.

I think the text Lunar Lander would be cool! I'm gonna go get my old Basic games book and look it up .. for anyone who may want to program it ... I wonder if it is on the net ...

Here's more ideas for 2600 games:

Smithereens (Odyssey 2) (2 catapults behind castles versus eachother) Joysticks.

Dogpatch (Bally Astrocade) (two guys with shotguns shoot the can over opponent with buckshot) fast and furious (paddle controls angle of gun)

Hearts & Bones (Hewlett Packard 200LX palmtop) (Better than MS: Minesweeper) Keyboard

Crossfire (C64, Atari 8bit) (classic move and shoot through grid of city blocks while others shoot at you) One or two joysticks (Robotron style)?

Killer Bees (Odyssey 2) (avoid the bees to score) Joystick

Lunar Lander (text game) (pre Atari) Keyboard

Lunar Lander (graphics) (supposidly being programmed)

I have drawings of the top three of this list if anyone is interested. Paul?, Thomas? Others?

I'm sure this has been thought of or asked before, but do you guys think that Gravitar, or maybe even Thrust could be modified to perhaps make some kind of version of Lunar Lander? :)

I think, writeing this game from scratch is probably easier.

And for sure much more satisfying for both, the programmer and the one who will play it.