IGNORED

Connecting to the 'net (the hard way!)

rockman_x_2002

Well, I'm back from my Christmas hiatus from the 'net (family gatherings and the usual Christmas festivities). I'm Happy to report that I wound up getting a Wii much sooner than I had previously expected, and I enjoy the machine. They did a great job on this thing.

So now, I'm back to trying something that I've been working on trying to get to work with my DS for months now. Connecting the sucker to the Internet. So far, I have been unsuccessful. I've read varying reports on the Internet, some suggesting this is possible, and others saying it isn't. So here's my situation, and I'm just wondering if some of you might possibly be able to help me out:

First, I have a dialup connection. I live in a rural area where broadband is not available (and I say this because whenever "dialup" is mentioned anywhere, there's comments. I'm stuck with what I have, so I cannot do anything about the dialup connection. Please bear with me). My goal is to use the dialup Internet connection with the Wii and DS for downloading purposes, updating, etc., with the downloads occuring overnight when the phone line is not typically needed.

That said, I have no wireless router, but I do have a WinXP laptop with a wireless card built-in. The Device Manager lists the card as a "WirelessLAN PRISM3 IEEE802.11b WM168 USB Module", though it doesn't use a USB port.

What I'd like to do is rig something up here that will allow me to tunnel my dialup connection through the wireless card on my laptop (I guess an ad-hoc connection, though I don't see how that would work, exactly), such that the Wii and/or DS can connect to the dialup connection using the wifi card in the laptop. If anyone has any suggestions as to what I might try (other than getting broadband, which I can't so) or a method of how I might go about doing this, then I would be most grateful. :P

Thanks in advance. Oh, and, by the way... did I mention the Wii is an awesome machine? :D

What I wound up doing with my Wii is buying a Nintendo WiFi USB adapter. It cost me around $40. I have a PC upstairs that is attached to a Westell router via a USB connection. Then I have an RJ-45 cable running between the PC and an Xbox 360 in a downstairs room. Then I have the USB adapter connection wirelessly "talking" to the Wii. Bottom line is I bridge all 3 connection together and viola. I'm not sure if this would work the same way using a dial up connection tho :(

nzh im 99% sure they said wii only works on broadband... sorry man...take it to a friends house and dload what you need there

Yeah I've been looking around some other Wii forums, and the over-all talk is that it's impossible using dial-up. That really sucks. I know some folks (Like my dad) don't have the option of getting a DSL line. I wonder if you can get on some type of satellite internet if that would work? My friend uses one but it's like $60 a month.

nzh im 99% sure they said wii only works on broadband... sorry man...take it to a friends house and dload what you need there

Yeah I've been looking around some other Wii forums, and the over-all talk is that it's impossible using dial-up. That really sucks. I know some folks (Like my dad) don't have the option of getting a DSL line. I wonder if you can get on some type of satellite internet if that would work? My friend uses one but it's like $60 a month.

Hmm. I was afraid of that one. :sad: Unfortunately, all of my friends around here have what I have... dialup. So my only option is to go on location to somewhere with high speed.

Guess I could always take it to my local McDonald's and set up shop there. Hook it up to my little PSOne screen (I have some cables that I can do that with, as I've done that with my GameCube many times). Although... I can only begin to fathom that using the sensor bar on such a small screen would be a "Wii" bit annoying, if you'll pardon the expression. :ponder:

Hmm. I was afraid of that one. :sad: Unfortunately, all of my friends around here have what I have... dialup. So my only option is to go on location to somewhere with high speed.

Guess I could always take it to my local McDonald's and set up shop there. Hook it up to my little PSOne screen (I have some cables that I can do that with, as I've done that with my GameCube many times). Although... I can only begin to fathom that using the sensor bar on such a small screen would be a "Wii" bit annoying, if you'll pardon the expression. :ponder:

i know some internet cafes ive seen have televisions, got hook up your wii :)