IGNORED

what is SERPATCH.PRG for exactly?

Gunstar

I've had this program in the auto folder since I got my Mega/STE, and just left it, but recently as I've stripped my boot sequence down to the core and started fresh with just what I actually use/need, I've shut this one off by changing the name to .prx. I always assumed the name was short for 'serialpatch,' and since I'm not using any serial ports currently it is not needed. My Mega/STE has the two standard com/modem ports and then a third 9-pin port/card in the VBI slot. I assumed it was for using this VBI device. Am I correct? Though even if I am correct in my assumtions, I still don't know what the VBI card is exactly for. It wouldn't be ethernet with a 9-pin port needing an adapter or special cable would it? I'll open it up later and see what it says on the card.

Edited by Gunstar

There area few patches for the serial port.

I don't know what serpatch do, but typically they do one or more of these things:

* Proper flow control, rts/cts

* Faster serial port routines

* Adapts for a hacked serialport that do 57600bps, or even 115200bps.

The extra serialport in the back of your Mega STE is not a plugin card. It's just a bracket with a comport, connected to the mobo.

There area few patches for the serial port.

I don't know what serpatch do, but typically they do one or more of these things:

* Proper flow control, rts/cts

* Faster serial port routines

* Adapts for a hacked serialport that do 57600bps, or even 115200bps.

The extra serialport in the back of your Mega STE is not a plugin card. It's just a bracket with a comport, connected to the mobo.

Thanks for the info. I remembered last night, before reading your response, that it was just a com port from the mobo. I looked at it all when I installed the 68881 and gal last year. I had just forgotten that the VBI was empty and I recalled the com port when I was thinking about what serpatch might be, recently. I'm going to leave serpatch shut down unless something crashes that didn't with it on. I don't think I need it.