IGNORED

SD Cards

bretthorror

So, on Boxing Day I found a sale that had $9.99 512 MB SD cards. I thought I was doing myself a favor. I could blast my own tunes and play Excite Truck! Then I just went to use my SD card when I realized something. Something very, very important.

I have no idea how to use an SD card! Where the hell do I put it in my laptop to save the data into it?! I have an Aspire 3620. I am not good with computers at all and I figured there'd be a place to just stick the card in on the side of the computer, but I see nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

If your computer doesn't have an SD Card reader built-in, as it apparently doesn't, you need to buy one.

It'll plug into a USB port, and show up as another drive in Windows Explorer/My Computer/Whatever.

Great! ;)

This sucks, it was barely worth the $9.99 for the card. Now I have to find one of these things.

Thanks for your help. There's a small slot on the side of my computer that a piece of plastic pops out of and I always just kind of assumed that's where you put the SD cards. Guess it's true about what they say when you assume...

Now I have to find one of these things.

They're easy to find at any computer store... and cheap. Just don't get ripped off and spend more than $4 - $15 for one (my current one cost 7 bucks). Just an example of some online: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820609198 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820162612 etc.

This sucks, it was barely worth the $9.99 for the card.

Well kind of... the going 'low' rate for a 1 gig sd card is about 11 bucks or so, which really isn't too much more :ponder:

If your computer doesn't have an SD Card reader built-in, as it apparently doesn't, you need to buy one.

It'll plug into a USB port, and show up as another drive in Windows Explorer/My Computer/Whatever.

Great! ;)

This sucks, it was barely worth the $9.99 for the card. Now I have to find one of these things.

Thanks for your help. There's a small slot on the side of my computer that a piece of plastic pops out of and I always just kind of assumed that's where you put the SD cards. Guess it's true about what they say when you assume...

What kind of slot was it?

I assume it was much larger than SD, which'd probably make it PC Card.

i got a 2 gig sd card at best buy the day after thanksgiving for 29 bucks, and a reader for 9.99. i honestly dont know what all im going to do with this card, too much space lol. the songs on excite truck are fun, but it does tick me off that if you have any vc game or game save it doesnt load it from the sd card, but you have to put it on the wii console's memory first, then put it back in the sd card when your done..... ugh.

Now I have to find one of these things.

They're easy to find at any computer store... and cheap. Just don't get ripped off and spend more than $4 - $15 for one (my current one cost 7 bucks). Just an example of some online: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820609198 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820162612 etc.

This sucks, it was barely worth the $9.99 for the card.

Well kind of... the going 'low' rate for a 1 gig sd card is about 11 bucks or so, which really isn't too much more :ponder:

But, everything is cheaper in the USA. In Canada, I usually see the 1 gig ones for $19.99 (and I don't live in a huge city). I don't need a gig for Excite Truck songs.

I only have cheap printers, so they probably won't have 'em.

I will probably try to get a reader on Ebay. I would hope it'd be cheapest on there. This one look good?

Edited by bretthorror

What exactly is the benefit of getting an SD card for the Wii? I had considered picking one up from Wal mart, but then later I saw where someone said they really couldn't be used for much.

you can save info on there, like vc games and game saves.. but honeslty, its not that important.. other than the fact that you run out of space on the wii pretty fast. the best thing though really is excite truck.. if you didnt have the option to import your own music the game really woudlnt be as fun, but with it the game is SOoo much better. trust me. and im sure future games will make use of this , so i would recommend picking it up.. if nothing but for excite truck as its really a great arcade racer.

Cool. I have a couple SD cards on the way. I needed one for my GPS as well. Hopefully in the future we can use the cards to upload stuff from Kiosks or something cool like that. This is something I wish more folks would do. They had cars that you could get for Burnout on the 360 if you had a memory card. In my opinion it's a great way to get gamers into your store, just offer little games (Like the BK games) or extra outfits and stuff that you can upload.

Cool. I have a couple SD cards on the way. I needed one for my GPS as well. Hopefully in the future we can use the cards to upload stuff from Kiosks or something cool like that. This is something I wish more folks would do. They had cars that you could get for Burnout on the 360 if you had a memory card. In my opinion it's a great way to get gamers into your store, just offer little games (Like the BK games) or extra outfits and stuff that you can upload.

actually yea i thought of that, similar to what they did with F-Zero AX in the arcades, that would be nice. Or bring demos home , similar to what they did with the dloads at stores with the DS.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who knows, if I buy this card reader, will it work without an installation disc? It looks like it doesn't come with one. I know nothing, absolutely nothing about these things. I have a laptop running XP. I don't know what USB 2.0 means, how do I know if my computer has that? I know I plug printers in it via USB, but that's about all I know. Also not sure if it comes with the cable as it doesn't look like there's anything in the picture. Any help would be appreciated ASAP 'cause I can't wait to blast Excite Truck with my own tunes! :)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/USB-2-0-4in1-Card-Reade...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edit: Screw it, bought it. Surely it works.

Edited by bretthorror

For anyone who knows, if I buy this card reader, will it work without an installation disc? It looks like it doesn't come with one. I know nothing, absolutely nothing about these things. I have a laptop running XP. I don't know what USB 2.0 means, how do I know if my computer has that? I know I plug printers in it via USB, but that's about all I know. Also not sure if it comes with the cable as it doesn't look like there's anything in the picture. Any help would be appreciated ASAP 'cause I can't wait to blast Excite Truck with my own tunes! :)

usually the drivers needed to run these things either already exist on your computer, are installed by xp, or they are installed through the reader itself. If your laptop is less than 5 years old it should have USB 2.0 inputs and even if not the reader should work but it will run a little slower.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anything special about the Nintendo cards or can you just pick up any ol SD mem card?

nothing special other than they're more expensive than sd cards..other than that same damn card just with a nintendo label.

Just the question I was going to ask.

Today I was out buying a new Memory Stick for my PSP and thought to buy a SD card for my Wii while I was at it.

I saw a SanDisk branded card with "Wii" written on it in the game section which was 2 Gigs and $90. I was about to buy it when I decided I'd check in the section where they normally keep the cards. Over there were SanDisk cards whose only differences were that they were not white and didn't have "Wii" on them. A 2Gig card over there was marked at $40.

So, now when I go back, I know that I can just go ahead and get the $40 one.

I just like this post, because I could have typed it myself. Here's to gaming nerds that barely know how to use a computer :thumbsup:

I just like this post, because I could have typed it myself. Here's to gaming nerds that barely know how to use a computer :thumbsup:

For the record, I have everything working fine!