IGNORED

Anybody have a Wiimote that's bunk?

MegaManFan

We didn't figure this out until just tonight, but the Wiimote I bought at TRU is junk. The pointer function works fine, but the tilt and motion sensors are non-responsive. This is the most obvious in Wii Sports bowling because you're supposed to be able to "swing through" like a real bowling throw as you let go of the trigger, but instead the ball starts all the way down, never moves no matter how high up you go, and you can't swing through - it jumps all the way to the top of your swing and you either have to drop it or abort. According to my friend David when he tried it with baseball it also wouldn't swing correctly - the Mii would just spastically keep swinging the bat repeatedly. I'm gonna have to take this bupkus one back tomorrow and hope they have a replacement - thank God I always keep my receipts.

We didn't figure this out until just tonight, but the Wiimote I bought at TRU is junk. The pointer function works fine, but the tilt and motion sensors are non-responsive. This is the most obvious in Wii Sports bowling because you're supposed to be able to "swing through" like a real bowling throw as you let go of the trigger, but instead the ball starts all the way down, never moves no matter how high up you go, and you can't swing through - it jumps all the way to the top of your swing and you either have to drop it or abort. According to my friend David when he tried it with baseball it also wouldn't swing correctly - the Mii would just spastically keep swinging the bat repeatedly. I'm gonna have to take this bupkus one back tomorrow and hope they have a replacement - thank God I always keep my receipts.

My two work fine... Is there maybe a way to recalibrate or resync the controller? I seem to remember when I added my second controller I had to sync it or something. Cant really remember, had to press a red button on the console to get it to work I think.

My remote's okay. Sounds like a bum remote, but you can try resynching:

First, open the SD card hatch on the Wii and press the red "Sync" button there.

Next, open the battery compartment of the Wii Remote and press the little red button there.

The blue lights on the remote will blink for a few moments, and it'll sync to the Wii.

At least I think that's the order... maybe it was remote first, then Wii... :ponder:

Well anyway, you can try that. But I'm guessing it's just a bum remote.

Sounds like you have two of them since you bought the other one seperately. Do you notice a difference when switching between the two?

As for the tilt.. you know when you're moving the hand cursor, try rotating the remote and see if the hand rotates as well?

Or actually, screw it.. yeah, just get a new one :P

call nintendo , they're good about standing behind they're products, unlike m soft who told me to basically screw myself when my s-type controller's right joytick would always creep up in fps only 1 month from the day i bought it new

Edited by AtariJr

I was gonna make a new topic, but I think its okay to post here instead.

For some reason, everytime I play bowling the ball tends to move to the left no matter how I throw it. Sometimes I throw the ball to the far right and it still goes left. I have yet been able to throw the ball perfectly straight.

This happens with both of my wiimotes. I don't get any motion problems in the other sports though, just bowling. Anyone else have this problem?

For some reason, everytime I play bowling the ball tends to move to the left no matter how I throw it. Sometimes I throw the ball to the far right and it still goes left. I have yet been able to throw the ball perfectly straight.

This happens with both of my wiimotes. I don't get any motion problems in the other sports though, just bowling. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes, have this problem, but it isn't a controller issue. It's a natural response in your hand. If you're like me, you bowl right handed. You can go to a real bowling alley, take a few throws, and you'll soon notice that your balls tend to inch over slightly to the left a bit. This is a natural curve for right-handers (and for left-handers, the ball should inch over to the right a bit).

To correct this, you can do one of two things:

A) Best strategy: Move your bowler slightly to the left, and aim your angle to the right. You can put a little extra spin on the ball and use the extra momentum gained by the natural spin you place on the ball to more frequently make strikes.

B) For throwing straighter balls: Instead of releasing the ball at the floor, swing upward a bit and throw the ball into the air. The ball will travel about 25-33% down the lane, and when it lands, it will not gain traction enough until just before striking the pins. This allows you to throw the ball straight down the lane no matter what spin you place on the ball. The only thing is your ball won't gather quite as much rolling speed, and thus won't have the same strength as strategy A. So this isn't what you want to do when you're cannonballing for strikes. This is mainly for clearing spares.

As a side note, you can adjust your spin on the ball by moving the remote to the right or left slightly (point it to the left or right... don't rotate it with your wrist). Just don't over-exaggerate or you'll wind up throwing the ball straight down the gutter.

Hope all this helps, and good luck! :D

Edited by rockman_x_2002

Heh, thanks for all the info Rockman!

Out of all those great tips, the one that helped the most was moving my player to the left by one "click." For some reason this makes everything work flawlessly. If I wanna make the ball go straight, it does so. If far left, it does it too. Before, I would move my player to the right before throwing, but the left side makes it work like a charm.

Still, I wish I didn't have to move the player at all, or maybe that's just not the way bowling works and I'm naive.

Thanks again!

wait, im the only one who curves right with as a right hander?

Wait.. did you read the post only 2 above you? :P

My brother's ball curves right when he plays wii bowling :) I cant make that thing go right no matter what I do though...

i have to move over 2 clicks to the left everytime to get a good shot lol :P

My brother's ball curves right when he plays wii bowling :) I cant make that thing go right no matter what I do though...

Swing back normally, and when you come back down to the floor, ready to release the ball, make sure that you also angle the remote like this: //

Remember, angle the whole remote in your hand like turning a crank, leaving the rounded bottom of the remote facing fully toward the floor. Twisting it around at the wrist doesn't cut it.

Of course, if you're feeling particularly brave, you could try angling the remote fully horizontal... like this: [oo ::: 8 (A) +]

Something like that ought to do it for you. :P

Edited by rockman_x_2002