IGNORED

Wii USB Ethernet Adaptor

Shawn

Hey All,

Is the\when will the USB Ethernet adaptor be avalible for the Wii? How much for one and where to get it? I get horrid reception in my house and I've already eithernet wired all the machines in my home so I'm ready and waiting to hook up the Wii to the net but can get online wireless as the master computer in my home (with the wireless router) is in the basement and won't go anymore than about 20 to 30 feet and even that far is a shit connection. Also I feel more secure with a secure connection via closed network than broadcasted signal. I tried putting one of those Wifi adaptors on a computer near the wii but it was always too weak of a signal even then. So ya, I want to go wired.

Shawn

Hey All,

Is the\when will the USB Ethernet adaptor be avalible for the Wii? How much for one and where to get it? I get horrid reception in my house and I've already eithernet wired all the machines in my home so I'm ready and waiting to hook up the Wii to the net but can get online wireless as the master computer in my home (with the wireless router) is in the basement and won't go anymore than about 20 to 30 feet and even that far is a shit connection. Also I feel more secure with a secure connection via closed network than broadcasted signal. I tried putting one of those Wifi adaptors on a computer near the wii but it was always too weak of a signal even then. So ya, I want to go wired.

Shawn

It seems to me there is already one that works, but isnt made by Nintendo. I will have to dig to find the info though if you are interested in that type of solution.

Here's the thread:

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/...9095&page=1

And a mostly useless video, but it does confirm it works :

Wicked thanks!! Just BIN'd one on paybay for $5 bucks :D

Awesome score!

I myself bought the USB WiFi connector, So far it's a head ache, I keeps disconnecting and is a bitch to get back connected.

I've actually considered taking it back and hard wiring the Wii up.

Awesome score!

I myself bought the USB WiFi connector, So far it's a head ache, I keeps disconnecting and is a bitch to get back connected.

I bought the WiFi hunk of shit also. I took it back cause I had the EXACT same issues your having. Poor connections and when connected it drops all the time. I suggest you take it back also and get the usb2lan adaptor like I just did. Just search on ebay for "USB ETHERNET" in the ebay stores and you will find a ton of them for $5 bucks or less.

Shawn

I tried a generic USB-Ethernet adaptor in my Wii and I wasnt able to setup a wired connection with it, any thoughts?

I dont know that they all are compatible. Best bet is to get the one listed in that thread I posted. That one is verified as working.

I decided to go with a wireless router that Nintendo recommended on their site.

It was actually $5 cheaper than the WiFi adapter!

Thing that sucks is I dont have the reciept for the WiFi adapter....Will Best Buy take back something like that without one?

Edited by moycon

I tried a generic USB-Ethernet adaptor in my Wii and I wasnt able to setup a wired connection with it, any thoughts?

I dont know that they all are compatible. Best bet is to get the one listed in that thread I posted. That one is verified as working.

I decided to go with a wireless router that Nintendo recommended on their site.

It was actually $5 cheaper than the WiFi adapter!

Thing that sucks is I dont have the reciept for the WiFi adapter....Will Best Buy take back something like that without one?

Stand your ground that you want a refund when you speak to the manger and they will.

I found one at Wal-Mart for the DS and PSP that said it was Wii compatible, but I didn't buy it and try it out. No internet connection at home for the moment.

if you try it, let me know.. i forgot my router when i moved back home.. so ill be without inet on the wii for a while unless i get one. if i dont want to buy on ebay, can i get something like this thats not the cruddy nintendo one at like a best buy or something? any that are at those type of stores that you guys would recommend?>

also.. should i get a wireless usb thing, or one that allows a hard connection trhough the usb on the wii? which would be best? wireless would be better as i only have one jack.. but shit, if they disconnect all the time, screw it.

Edited by AtariJr

As I was reading this I was also discussing the whole Wii and VC thing with one of our IT guys and he handed me a D-Link Wireless G54 Access Point to try with my ADSL modem (which has one ethernet point) and Wii - will this work?

I am a complete wireless newbie adn would appreciate any pointers.

Cheers.

If you have a PC with a broadband connection already, the easiest thing is to get a wireless router in my opinion.

I got a Belkin Wireless G Router off Amazon for like $35 and it was extremely easy to set up. Took a couple minutes.

I have a USB modem which altho it wont connect directly to the router still works fine bridging the router connection to the modem connection. In fact it's even beeter than the set up I had before, because now I can have 4 devices hard wired to the router (via the built in switch) I have my Wii talking wireless to the router and the 360 hard wired to it, as well as an extra cat-5 cable that will be used for my laptop when I work from home (No more un-plugging and redirecting cables at all)

Pretty good setup for $35.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the thread:

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/...9095&page=1

And a mostly useless video, but it does confirm it works :

Wicked thanks!! Just BIN'd one on paybay for $5 bucks :D

Awesome score!

It's even more of a bitch because it only works with windows. I tried running it on my mac with parallels, but it wasn't working. so it's connected to my room mate's computer. i can't use anything but the USB WiFi because the university requires all computers to download software to connect to the internet (so no wii or xbox live). it's lame.