IGNORED

Lynx Hockey = Mario Lemieux Hockey?

Ze_ro

While thrifting today, I picked up a copy of Mario Lemieux Hockey for the Genesis, and I was surprised to find that the game is VERY similar to Hockey on the Lynx! Obviously, there are some differences (like the center ice logo saying "Genesis 16-bit"), but the gameplay is almost identical, the graphics are almost the same, and even the fighting is the same!

What REALLY pisses me off though is that the Genesis version doesn't have Winnipeg! :mad: ... of course, the Lynx version misspells the damn city name, but at least we're there...

--Zero

• Haha 1

Ze_ro:

Thanks for the info! I'm a Genesis collector and Lynx fan!

I don't have the Hockey game on the Lynx your talking about.

But picking up a cheap copy of Mario will give me a good idea, which is great!

BTW.. anyone know which version of EA's NHL is the best to get for the best playability?

• Like 1

I don't have the Hockey game on the Lynx your talking about.

But picking up a cheap copy of Mario will give me a good idea, which is great!

BTW.. anyone know which version of EA's NHL is the best to get for the best playability?

Well, the two games aren't entirely the same... but it's pretty easy to tell that one was definitely a port of the other.

As for EA games... are you limiting things to Genesis ones? If so, then I've heard that NHL '95 is the best in the series. Although I don't play these games a lot myself (I prefer NHL 2K2 on my Dreamcast), I know a lot of die-hard Genesis fans who swear by 95. Honestly, I can't really see the differences between 95-98 myself. Only problem with 95 is that there's no fighting in it.

I know this is not related, but I have a Jets jersey. My buddy did a short mascot gig for them and he gave the jersey to me. I love that thing!

Wow, that's pretty cool! Jets jerseys sell for quite a bit around here, what with the team gone and all. I was lucky enough to find a Jets jersey in a Value Village for $5... probably one of my best finds :)

--Zero

As for EA games... are you limiting things to Genesis ones? If so, then I've heard that NHL '95 is the best in the series. Although I don't play these games a lot myself (I prefer NHL 2K2 on my Dreamcast), I know a lot of die-hard Genesis fans who swear by 95. Honestly, I can't really see the differences between 95-98 myself. Only problem with 95 is that there's no fighting in it.

--Zero

I got lucky yesterday! I picked up NHL'97 for $1.00

I only played for a few minutes. Looks good so far.

There's no fighting in 95? Is it just that year EA removed fighting?

I wish there was a Genesis forum here on AA!

I'm not a big authority on Genesis sports games, but I know that NHL '95 was the first year they took out fighting. I have a copy of NHL '96, and I just checked, and fighting is in it... so I guess '95 is probably the only one (At least, from the EA games).

--Zero

• 19 years later...

I don't like hockey Not a big Fan of the actual sport but my friend got me into it playing on his Super Nintendo as a 2 player game back in the day. It was very fun.

I played Lynx Hockey a little last night and it seems really good. These are the same guys who did BH NHL 95 for the Jag. The history is very interesting and contentious. BH 95 on the Jag seems to beat the PC version in a lot of ways.  These guys knew hockey games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JagChris said:

I don't like hockey Not a big Fan of the actual sport but my friend got me into it playing on his Super Nintendo as a 2 player game back in the day. It was very fun.

I played Lynx Hockey a little last night and it seems really good. These are the same guys who did BH NHL 95 for the Jag. The history is very interesting and contentious. BH 95 on the Jag seems to beat the PC version in a lot of ways.  These guys knew hockey games.

You couldn't have waited another month to revive this topic? You could have had a 20 year necrobump. I guess we can round up and give it to you.

• Haha 2

I was looking for a specific hockey thread. 

I got my ass kicked on easy tonight.

I don't have a link up but wondering if anybody going to PRGE does and would like to play some link up games like this. 

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 1