IGNORED

Joystick Trouble

AtariChick

I put this topic here because it's for my 2600 system, but it's the joystick in general (the original atari)

I bought two joysticks at a local savers, both have troubles....I've taken one apart, some one has already done so, and had to put the stick back together correctly. Also, the second joystick I purchased, seemed to work fine, but after playing with it at home, it sticks and won't go left. Can anyone help me on these issues? also, when I go to buy used joysticks, what should I look for in a quality stick? are there any requirements for stick shopping? or am I just being picky? thanks!

if your shopping for a new joystick, try to get one called a Wico Command Control.. thats the BEST joystick ive ever used.. I had 2 but the one that I got at a garage sale a while back didnt have the switch to control (it has 2 fire buttons, on on the base, one on the stick.. well It was stuck on the stick, and the stick button wasent working, so I traded it with one of my friends for some cash.. if I had that one still and could get it working id let you have it, until then ill keep my eyes out for one, you wont go back to a plain one after you try this kind

I'll second Liquid's recommendation for Wico's Command Control joystick. I don't like any stick as much as the original Atari controller, but if that's hard to find, score a Wico.

You might have a problem with your joystick "sticking" and not going left because of a cracked white thing. (That's its official term -- the Atari White Thing .) It's the plastic stick itself, inside the rubber sheath. If you have another joystick with an intact white thing, try transplanting it. Just a thought.

Cool Beatles picture. :D

CF

If you're really in a bind and need a low-cost, readily available controller, you can always use any Sega Genesis or Sega Master System control pad or joystick!

They work perfectly, but just remember that it's the "B" button that you use as the fire button! Last time I checked, Funcoland had used Genesis 6 button control pads for like $4!

It will hold you over until you can get your hands on a REAL Atari joystick! |:) |:) |:) |:) |:)

i hardly ever use anything else but an original Atari joystick! nothing comes even close! on the wico, i think you'll find that either you'll like it or hate it! nothing in between!! i guess if you like a BIG stick then you'll love the wico.. i like my joysticks short!! (ok... no jokes you guys)

:P :P :D

Take care,

Rick

I myself use either a Wico Boss stick (the grey, black & white stick :) ), a sega arcade stick (heavy base, good springs... arcade bliss) or if I can't be bothered digging one of the two above out, a sega mega drive pad. Also, hooked up to my st is a small atari gamepad I got with my 7800 (with a small stick on the left).

The original 2600 joysticks.... just don't feel right. Too small, and don't have enough weight or responsiveness. Also prone to breaking - but only in one direction. You can be playing well, and go to dodge.... only to find the joystick don't work in that direction :( :(