IGNORED

A8 as a terminal

Pengwin

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I cannot find the details anywhere.

How does one go about using an A8 as a terminal to a linux (or Mac OSX) system?

I have an Sio2PC adapter (with USB2Serial). I have heard of people doing this with linux, so I'm assuming that APE is not required.

Any clues people?

I have an Sio2PC adapter (with USB2Serial). I have heard of people doing this with linux, so I'm assuming that APE is not required.

Any clues people?

Load the R:Verter handler and you can use any terminal program with the SIO2PC interface.

There will be no flow control, so a program with a large buffer like Ice-T 130XE will work best.

Steve

Load the R:Verter handler and you can use any terminal program with the SIO2PC interface.

There will be no flow control, so a program with a large buffer like Ice-T 130XE will work best.

Steve

Sorry for being ignorant. The R:Verter handler?

Any clues people?

I'm using a RS232 Cartridge (PCB and Driver Source at http://www.strotmann.de/twiki/bin/view/APG...rgsSeriellCart), and a Null-Modem Cable to my SUN Ultra 5 Machine running Solaris 10. Linux is also possible. On the Atari Side I'm using Kermit65, although Ice-T seems to be even better.

My plan is to switch to a LinkSys NSLU2 NAS device running Linux. The NSLU2 is smaller, uses less power and is quiet (no fan noise).

Beetle is connecting to a standard Ubuntu Linux PC, he should be able to tell you how to do that.

Then on the Linux PC, you can use textmode applications from the A8 like

* "mutt" or "pine" for E-Mail

* "links2" for webbrowsing

* "screen" for window management

* "rhapsody" for IRC

* "centericq" for ICQ

Carsten

When using Ice-T the Rverter handler has to be renamed to RS232.COM and will then be autoloaded if you load ICE-T.COM.

Set Ice-T to 9600 baud, Xon/Xoff, CR+LF.

Then add add a line to your /etc/inittab file (you have to be root for that)

T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100

(assuming you have plugged you SIO2PC to COM 1, if using COM 2 enter ttyS1 instead)

You're done. Run Ice-T and reboot you Linux box. The login should appear.

You might try 19200 baud (change on both PC and a8), however, this didn't work stable for me.

Anyway, if running ubuntu 6.10 (and probably other linuxes) that won't work (they changed the behaviour of that)

adding a textfile called ttyS0 to /etc/event.d ,instead the above, with the following content is then the solution (afaik, works for me)

start on runlevel-2

start on runlevel-3

start on runlevel-4

start on runlevel-5

stop on shutdown

respawn /sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100

You can login with your regular username or get a new one for your a8 connection.

You can do FTP, or reconfigure your X11 config, very nice is to control xmms from the a8...

and of course you can telnet to the telnet-enabled bbs's around, ie.

telnet www.atarinews.org

Fun,

Beetle

PS: Sorry, but i have no idea how to connect to MacOSX. i think it will be somewhat similar,

but i have no Mac and can't dig into it.

Edited by Beetle

My plan is to switch to a LinkSys NSLU2 NAS device running Linux. The NSLU2 is smaller, uses less power and is quiet (no fan noise).

NSLU2 is cool device, but it has not serial port. What I know it is possible to add simple 3wire serial line. Are you planning to modify your slug or you want to use some USB2COMM?

NSLU2 is cool device, but it has not serial port. What I know it is possible to add simple 3wire serial line. Are you planning to modify your slug or you want to use some USB2COMM?

I want to use the 3 wire serial line first.

Carsten

PS: Sorry, but i have no idea how to connect to MacOSX. i think it will be somewhat similar,

but i have no Mac and can't dig into it.

For MacOS X, you can use ZTerm (old), or minicom, or "screen". See this hints

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...061109133825654

For Windows and OS/2 I recommend ZOC as a Terminal Emulator. It's a ported Atari ST Terminal App and the best Terminal Emulator I know of.

It's shareware, but worth the price --> http://www.emtec.com/zoc/index.html

Carsten

Any clues people?

Steve

Steve,how does one connect the Atari,if I am using DSL?

Which COM port does one set the modem emulation to in APE?

Thanks.

I use Cygwin on the same machine in which I am running APE.

I am working on a small Cygwin install that includes everything that an Atarian would want: lynx, pine, tin, irc, sz/rz (xmodem,ymodem,zmodem transfers).

I will post this Cygwin install here soon. This way, you do not need to setup a separate machine than your APE host.

I am working on a small Cygwin install that includes everything that an Atarian would want: lynx, pine, tin, irc, sz/rz (xmodem,ymodem,zmodem transfers).

I will post this Cygwin install here soon. This way, you do not need to setup a separate machine than your APE host.

Im interested in that when you have it ready Love to get my ol 800 on and join in on the chats and do more

Yes please do,Cybernoid. It would be very appreciated.

Since I can't get on the 'Net with my A8 through dial-up anymore,I swear I get dirty looks

from the Atari side of the room,whenever I go on-line!

I'd love to know more about where to find the r:verter handler and Ice-T and any tricks to load them as I've never used either. I made a simple RVerter interface years ago and sadly never got around to actually getting the software for it. Stangly, I was going to ask about this very thing as I'm working on a new SIO serial port for the Atari. Because I know nothing about creating a handler, I want to make it an RVerter clone, the only difference being that it'll have flow control (but unfortunatly it'll have some limitations on baud rate too). I want to get my old interface working before hand though. I'd be glad to help with configuration if someone is trying to get the atari connected to a Debian or Slackware system. On the DSL question, that's exactly what I have, my Linux server runs 24/7 and I have both serial ports configured for terminals. I've been able to connect the Amiga but still need help getting the Atari going. No modem, yay!

I'd love to know more about where to find the r:verter handler and Ice-T and any tricks to load them as I've never used either. I made a simple RVerter interface years ago and sadly never got around to actually getting the software for it. Stangly, I was going to ask about this very thing as I'm working on a new SIO serial port for the Atari. Because I know nothing about creating a handler, I want to make it an RVerter clone, the only difference being that it'll have flow control (but unfortunatly it'll have some limitations on baud rate too). I want to get my old interface working before hand though. I'd be glad to help with configuration if someone is trying to get the atari connected to a Debian or Slackware system. On the DSL question, that's exactly what I have, my Linux server runs 24/7 and I have both serial ports configured for terminals. I've been able to connect the Amiga but still need help getting the Atari going. No modem, yay!

Here is a webpage on the R-verter:

http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/atari/rvert.html

and here is the text file and the R:handler :

Rverter.zip

And here is where you can find Ice-T :

http://www.langesite.com/atari/Holmes/Holm...ications%20A-Z/

I hope this will help you.

Good luck!

Yes please do,Cybernoid. It would be very appreciated.

Since I can't get on the 'Net with my A8 through dial-up anymore,I swear I get dirty looks

from the Atari side of the room,whenever I go on-line!

Just about to post in another thread...