IGNORED

Geman Mega ST

mons2b

Hello friends and Atari loyalists! :-)

I have just got a German Issue Mega ST and have a few things to ask the Jedi Masters here. ;-) Where abouts on the motherboard are the rom chips on this? How hard to swap them out for some I have on a spare 520 ST? (I dont speak German.) I hope it woundnt envolve soldiering but I guess it does?

Also it has a funky IBM compatiable addon board in it. Branded "Harris" and looks like 286 clone chip. Anywhere you guys know where I can get a "English" driver for it?

Thanks for your time and any tips peoples.

John Whitfield

NEW ZEALAND

I have just got a German Issue Mega ST and have a few things to ask the Jedi Masters here. ;-) Where abouts on the motherboard are the rom chips on this? How hard to swap them out for some I have on a spare 520 ST? (I dont speak German.) I hope it woundnt envolve soldiering but I guess it does?

Also it has a funky IBM compatiable addon board in it. Branded "Harris" and looks like 286 clone chip. Anywhere you guys know where I can get a "English" driver for it?

John Whitfield

NEW ZEALAND

No soldering involved, there should be a set of 2 or 6 chips at the lower left of the board. Open it up! There is a set of US TOS 1.04 for the Mega/ST on ebay right now if you hurry! ;)

Edited by tjlazer

John Whitfield

NEW ZEALAND

No soldering involved, there should be a set of 2 or 6 chips at the lower left of the board. Open it up! There is a set of US TOS 1.04 for the Mega/ST on ebay right now if you hurry! ;)

I have a spare STFM that already has bits missing out of it. Can I take the Tos Roms out of it and put them in this German Mega ST? Hopefully its same number of chips.

JW

You can put the roms into it but if it is TOS 1.00 I'd strongly consider upgrading to 1.04 or even 2.06 (which would need an additional card that plugs on the cpu).

I will try swapping the roms. (carefully) I do love this German Mega but I cant read German. I would like to be able to read german one day though. ;-)

What will happen with the German (Qwertz) keyboard when the machine is running English Tos? Will the "Y" and "Z" still only work as per the German layout?

JW