IGNORED

Atari emulators for Windows Mobile?

SeaGtGruff

Okay, my cell phone was prehistoric, but I was devoutly resisting the social and media pressure to get a newer one every other month. But the battery had gotten really bad (charge it a full charge, talk for 2 minutes, it would cut itself off), so I wanted to finally get a new phone. Long story short, I got one with a keyboard and Windows Mobile, intending to put an emulator on it, bB, 6502 compiler, etc., so I'll have a portable game player and development studio.

So, what Atari emulators are out there for Windows Mobile? I mean 2600, 5200, 7800, 800/XL/XE.

What about 6502 compilers?

batari BASIC?

Anyone out there using this sort of stuff of their Windows Mobile cell phones? I haven't done any searches yet (I just got the thing, haven't even read the instructions yet). I'd like to start setting it up tonight after work. :)

Thanks in advance!

Michael

check here man www.zophar.net under digital phones or pocket emulators

Thank you, this looks great! :)

Michael

let me know if any work ive been wanting pocket emulators besides the ones on my psp

I haven't installed anything yet, but I downloaded Pocket VCS, plus Stella 2.1 and 2.2 for WinCE. And I'm hoping that if I get PocketDOS or something like that, I'll be able to use DASM for DOS, and batari BASIC. I'm very much a newbie with this Pocket PC (or SmartPhone) thing, so I'm going to take my time taking baby steps. :)

Michael

I haven't installed anything yet, but I downloaded Pocket VCS, plus Stella 2.1 and 2.2 for WinCE. And I'm hoping that if I get PocketDOS or something like that, I'll be able to use DASM for DOS, and batari BASIC. I'm very much a newbie with this Pocket PC (or SmartPhone) thing, so I'm going to take my time taking baby steps. :)

Michael

I am not sure if bB will work under PocketDOS. bB requires 386 protected mode and >640k, and the last time I used PocketDOS (around 2001) I don't recall it having these features.

bB does work under DOSBox 0.65, however, and there might be a WinCE port out there, though I'm not sure if there is.

In either case, there is a short section on DOS compatibility in the bB docs that explains how to make bB work under plain DOS.

Another option is if you can get ahold of some sort of C compiler (preferrably of the GNU variety) for the WinCE device and some sort of command line, chances are you can compile DASM and bB from source and get something working.

Edited by batari

Michael

I am not sure if bB will work under PocketDOS. bB requires 386 protected mode and >640k, and the last time I used PocketDOS (around 2001) I don't recall it having these features.

bB does work under DOSBox 0.65, however, and there might be a WinCE port out there, though I'm not sure if there is.

In either case, there is a short section on DOS compatibility in the bB docs that explains how to make bB work under plain DOS.

Another option is if you can get ahold of some sort of C compiler (preferrably of the GNU variety) for the WinCE device and some sort of command line, chances are you can compile DASM and bB from source and get something working.

There is a pDOSBox that can emulate 386 protected mode:

http://www.pocketwall.com/pDOSBox/

I'll give that a try. :)

Michael

I downloaded and installed pDOSBox and PocketConsole, but couldn't get them to work-- at first.

I downloaded and installed PocketVCS, but I couldn't get it to run any games-- it just kept freezing up my phone/pocket PC, and I had to keep doing a soft reset. After that, pDOSBox started working! So I guess I just needed to reboot it-- I'd thought that that meant turning the phone off and then back on again, but apparently not!

I downloaded and installed PocketStella, and it works okay-- except I wish it had better onscreen control over the game settings (e.g., setting the screen size for E.T. Book Cart, which uses 240 lines, and I can't get my E7 bankswitched programs to work yet, because I can't select the cart type). I'm going to try changing the entries in the .PRO file to see if that helps.

I also downloaded and installed a trial version of CEdit, but I haven't installed bB and DASM yet, so I haven't tried setting up CEdit to compile and run bB or assembly programs yet. I'm going to be doing that (plus editing Stella's .PRO file) Monday night after work.

So after some false starts, it looks like I'm finally beginning to make some progress! :)

Michael

I downloaded and installed PocketStella, and it works okay-- except I wish it had better onscreen control over the game settings (e.g., setting the screen size for E.T. Book Cart, which uses 240 lines, and I can't get my E7 bankswitched programs to work yet, because I can't select the cart type). I'm going to try changing the entries in the .PRO file to see if that helps.

The next version of Stella (2.3.5) contains autodetection for cart type E7, so that would be taken care of. As to selecting items from the UI in the WinCE version of Stella; I don't think it's really feasible. Input-wise, this is a very limited device, and meant for strictly launching a game and playing it, not delving into the developer properties. I suggest to get it working on a PC and generate the proper stella.pro file. Then, upload this file to the device somehow.

Note that the 2.3/2.3.5 codebase hasn't been released for the WinCE yet. I'm in the process of talking with the maintainer now.

The next version of Stella (2.3.5) contains autodetection for cart type E7, so that would be taken care of. As to selecting items from the UI in the WinCE version of Stella; I don't think it's really feasible. Input-wise, this is a very limited device, and meant for strictly launching a game and playing it, not delving into the developer properties. I suggest to get it working on a PC and generate the proper stella.pro file. Then, upload this file to the device somehow.

Note that the 2.3/2.3.5 codebase hasn't been released for the WinCE yet. I'm in the process of talking with the maintainer now.

Thanks, Stephen! I guess there aren't many (any?) Atari 2600 programmers doing development on their cell phones yet, but I suspect that that might change in the future, and I think PocketStella is much better than PocketVCS (which I couldn't even get to work, but that may have been just me), so it will be really nice to have an up-to-date version of PocketStella. And yes, the resolution and input methods are a bit confining, but it's just something for working on my Atari 2600 programs while I'm on the go, an alternative to lugging around a laptop computer.

Michael