IGNORED

Now that you have a Wii, your thoughts & games?

Mendon

Okay, now that I FINALLY have a Wii I can post my thoughts here on the system.

I have had it since last Sunday (my wife actually stood in line before Target opened to get one!) and I have been messing around with it quite a bit through out the week. My impressions are, this is the best Nintendo console yet! :D

Set up: Setting up the console was a breeze. I did have some issues connecting with my wireless router, but a firmware update on the DSL modem fixed that (which was long overdue anyway).

Games: So far I only have Zelda:TP and have only played it about an hour. I have a pretty big GC collection and those play great of course. The big surprise is Wii Sports. My wife and I have been playing the hell out of it, and she has NEVER played any games with me before! Bowling and tennis are our favorites. I also like boxing a lot. You actually get a pretty good workout playing some of these games. It is amazing to actually be playing games with my wife.

I have actually been messing with the system and a lot of the options, probably as much as playing games. It's great to be able to check my e-mail, the weather, and whatnot via the Wii.

I just downloaded a couple VC games and love it. I couldn't resist grabbing Sonic the Hedehog and just smiled the whole time playing it. The Wii remote feels like a classic controller. Good stuff.

Overall: Dang, this is awesome. The PS3 and the XBox 360 definitely have their place. I hope to pick up one or the other. The Wii is what it is. It isn't the HD immersive experience of the PS3, but it is hella fun. :)

I'm anxious for some Wii online titles and more games that utilize the controller. Kind of like the DS 'maturing', I think the Wii will come in to its own too.

I've had one for about a week now and I'd have to say I'm pleasently surprised but I'm not too sure what to think. I've only been able to spend time with it in spurts because I have not revealed it to the family yet (Son's birthday comes in february).

I wanted to be able to spend some time setting it up and getting all the updates loaded, familar with it. That way he doesn't have to wait when we first plug it in.

A couple quick thoughts.

I'm kinda worried about the thickness of the wire for the Wiimote bar. Looks like something that could easily be sliced. Especially when you have a new puppy in the house. :) I think I'd better spray it with some bitter apple.

The controls. I really didn't think much of this till I started playing with it. For the most part the controls are fine. But some combo's are hard on my wrist/hand. Try pressing A AND B while tilting the front of the controller down. I also find it hard to point the Wiimote at the lower half of the screen while I'm sitting on the couch.

The other thing that concerns me is the controls do not lend themselves to more traditional style gaming which may create some problems with third parties. Game designers may try to "force" the new design rather than work out something more natural.

Wii sports was the big surprise. Since I used to play alot of sports as a kid I'm pretty familar with the mechanics of these games. I found it to be fairly natural. I think the biggest problem people have is that you need to pay attention to your onscreen persona and make sure where your hands are matches his movements.

Boxing is probably the biggest example. It's easy to punch and then pull back and your online persona's glove is still making contact. I think people try stuff like uppercuts and roundhouses but I don't think the game is really designed for that. It looks like it is designed for head punches and body blows. There was one time that I accidently did was would be considered an upper cut. But I think what "really" happened was the opponent happened to be leaning forward and a body punch happened to connect with his face.

I think bowling is the only game where I have to be standing up to really do well. The rest I can usually sit up on the edge of the couch. Golf I can literally lay on my side and just "flick" the controller. :lol:

Rayman - This one starts a little slow. But the online rail shoots are friggin hilarious. Just like any party games some are fun, others are tedious. I think my son will get a kick out of the outhouse game. :D I like the one where you steer the bat and round up pigs.

The other two I have are Zelda and Super monkeyball. Which I've yet to try.

The interface is kinda nice, but nintendo needs to clean it up a little. There are a few oddities like not being able to register from your Wii. When you download a VLC title it does not take you back to where you were. Having to enter your credit card info all the time. I just don't feel comfortable doing that everytime I'm interested in something.

Mii's are pretty cool everytime my likeness turns his head I nearly freak. :lol:

Web browser? Well I probably spent more time browsing on the PS3. But I'll have to tinker with it a bit. I was more concerned about trying the other stuff.

Wireless? Fortunately this was easier to set up than I thought it would be. Speed has never been a problem whereas my PS3 had a tendancy to disconnect periodically.

I hate this crap about having to update before going online. PS3 and 360 do this as well. Annoying.

I think my family will most likely spend alot of time with Wii sports. I'll know in about 22 days.

Edited by Shannon

I'm kinda worried about the thickness of the wire for the Wiimote bar. Looks like something that could easily be sliced. Especially when you have a new puppy in the house. :) I think I'd better spray it with some bitter apple.

Good idea. However, if it does get sliced, just splice it back together. It's just a power cable (no data) so it shouldn't be too complicated. There's also the wireless sensor bar if your pup just won't leave it alone.

I also find it hard to point the Wiimote at the lower half of the screen while I'm sitting on the couch.

Make sure that your sensor bar slightly juts out from the top of your television. This way your Wiimote will be able to see it even at odd angles. Use the Wiimote sensitivity calibration tool to see what your Wiimote is seeing. If the two lights disappear when the 'mote is pointed toward the bottom of the screen, then you'll need to make some adjustments.

Worst case, consider moving the sensor bar to the bottom of your television. Nintendo should have provided a small stand to mount the sensor bar on so that it's closer to the bottom of the screen. To get proper performance, you'll need to change the setting in the Wii Settings menu to let the Wii know that you've moved the bar. (Click the "Wii" button in the lower-left corner to get to settings.)

The other thing that concerns me is the controls do not lend themselves to more traditional style gaming which may create some problems with third parties. Game designers may try to "force" the new design rather than work out something more natural.

Thankfully, it seems like game designers are coming up with fairly practical designs. For example, the upcoming Sonic Wild Fire uses the Wiimote turned sideways to give a combination of classic controls and motion sensing. From what I've seen of the multisystem games (e.g. Open Season, Call of Duty, etc.), they took the Zelda route and make you mimic the correct movement rather than pushing a button. The result is reasonably natural, even if it doesn't take full advantage of the 'mote capabilities.

I think my family will most likely spend alot of time with Wii sports. I'll know in about 22 days.

They'll love it! And if your kid(s) are anything like mine, they'll also love the ability to play classics like Sonic. After purchasing Sonic yesterday, I heard a nonstop stream of "thank you, thank you, thank you!" out of them. As you might imagine, they're big Sonic fans. :lol:

I've been tempted to get Sonic. I might wait until Sonic 2 comes out though.

I just played some monkeyball last night and I really like this game. I found the controls to be more intuitive than the actual cube version. I seem to be able to control the ball (monkey) alot better than I was able to with the stick.

As for the mini-games. I only had time to play a handful of them. Some of them provide some pretty neat stuff. For example the "alien invasion" one would be almost perfect controls for a FPS. Or better yet a "Battlezone" type game.

The asteroid thing is pretty fun but they tend to throw too many at once on you. For some reason I could not control the monkey in bannana catch.

Right now I've been putting the sensor bar below the TV as close to the edge of the entertainment center as I can get it. I have not attached it to the stand yet. Since I have to put it away everytime I'm done with it.

Kinda saving it for a surprise. I'm glad I'm doing this because it will save alot of time later on. Plus I'll be more familar with how everything controls/works.

Further evidence on how easy and fun the Wii is to use, we had a party Friday night with a couple of families over and one lot of parents had never played video games, even though their kids have a PS2, and they had a ball playing tennis and bowling and even set up their own Mii's.

If nothing else, Wii may be the modern replacement for Twister (although naked Wii probably is not as much fun as naked Twister) :D

Good idea. However, if it does get sliced, just splice it back together. It's just a power cable (no data) so it shouldn't be too complicated. There's also the wireless sensor bar if your pup just won't leave it alone.

And, if rumors are correct, Nintendo is working on a Wireless Sensor Bar also along with a Wireless Station that will allow you to use the Nunchuk and Classic Controller without having to plug them into the Wii-mote. Whether Nintendo is releasing redesigned controllers or how this Station will work with existing controllers (i.e. what would you do with the dangling cord off the Nunchuk/CC since its no longer plugged into the Wii-mote & how does the Nunchuk/CC get their power) I have no idea but I've seen this "rumor" stated on several magazine websites. Here's an example from IGN:

"Wireless Attachments

Not just any wireless attachments, either. How would you like to eliminate the pesky wire dangling from the bottom of your Wii remote all the way to your nunchuck peripheral? Uh-huh. We believe by the end of the year Nintendo - not third party manufacturers -- will have a wireless solution for you. If the publisher decides to keep the controls for titles like DK Bongo Blast in tact, you're also very likely to see wireless Wii bongos, in addition to other attachments like the classic controller. Finally, third parties have made mention of wireless base stations that simultaneously power two Wii remotes and enable gamers to use attachments from the comfort of their couch. Look, ma - no cords! "

Mendon

Just to add... Since I last posted I had time to play more monkeyball mini-games and some Zelda.

I only had enough time to round up the goats in Zelda so I cannot really say much about it.

The monkeyball mini-games are ok. But several would be alot better if more thought was put into them. For example the baseball (homerun) mini game. Instead of recording your farthest hit they really should do a tallied total of all of your hits. Makes more sense and would provide more incentive to play it more.

Edited by Shannon

Well now I have had mine for nearly 2 months I have to say my first impressions still hold true and that the Wii is a great machine.

i picked up Call of Duty 3 and am enjoying the experience, though the melee combat is frustrating if you dont do it properly.

Downloaded a few VC games and I have found i play them as I would have back in the day. If i had them on an emulator on my PC i would not play them much or at all. Castlevania, Bomberman, solomons key all play great with the classic controller and so my retro addiction has been catered for.

also managed to create a spookily realistic Mii of my fiancee, mine looks reasonably like me and am working creating Mii Beatles! Paul looks very much like him,but the others are harder to do!

I feel that the Wii has so much potential esp with the online stuff

I'm loving my Wii. We have Wii Sports, Zelda, Trauma Center, Rayman and Madden. I also grabbed a few Cube games (Billy Hatcher, RE4 and Paper Mario) and a controller but haven't played them yet. The Wii picks right up where my DS left off - great, fun, original games that have widespread appeal.

The VC is great, I bought Mario 64 and Zelda LTTP, both of which I missed as I was an avid Genesis/PS1 fan during their haydays. The weather and news are well done too.

Overall, I tell everyone how much I love the Wii. I'm still not convinced for those of us without high def TV's that we're missing that much from the 360/PS3. It's amazing that Nintendo was able to bring me back into their fold. I avoided the SNES and N64 and sold my Cube because I didn't play it much...in about 1.5 years they have me exclusively playing Nintendo hardware again (except for my 2600 naturally!)

Edited by n8littlefield