As anybody involved in writing software can tell you, project specifications will often change when new information becomes available.
When I started working on Collect, my plan was to use it for my presentation at Classic Game Fest. As I've progressed I've come to the realization that a full blown game is going to be just
for a one hour presentation. I decided that I'm going to leave the existing example in place and just add a few slides about Collect with a link to these blog entries for anybody who is interested.
Since I'm no longer planning to fit this project into a presentation, I've decided on a few changes:
- Make Collect a 1-2 player game
- Add the Ball object to draw an additional box, especially useful for 2 player games
- Change Timer display to the right player's score
- Add a Timer Bar to indicate time remaining
Mockup of two player game with new timer bar
Timer has decreased
One player variation will hide right player's score and use player1 as an additional box.
The Ball Object has a vertical delay feature. When used, the ball should be udpated on the same scanline as player0. Due to this, I've revised the 2LK to be like this:
- updates player1, playfield, precalc player0 for line 2
- updates player0, playfield, precalc player1 for line 1
This was done to plan ahead for when the playfield is no longer updated on every scanline. Updating the playfield and ball will make the 2LK look something like this:
- updates player1, playfield, precalcs player0, ball for line 2
- updates player0, ball, precalcs player 1, playfield for line 1
I'll also need to add in updates for the missiles. Ideally we want to update them on every scanline like this:
- updates player1, missile0, missile1, playfield, precalcs player0, missile0, missile1, ball for line 2
- updates player0, missile0, missile1, ball, precalcs player 1, missile0, missile1, playfield for line 1
It's probable the timing won't work out for that. If it doesn't, then a change like this should work:
- updates player1, missile1, playfield, precalcs player0, missile0, ball for line 2
- updates player0, missile0, ball, precalcs player1, missile1, playfield for line 1
That would make it so that the missile objects can only start on every-other-scanline, but that's an OK compromise for our game.
In this build I've revised the Arena to be a little bit shorter to make room for the new timer display. The timer currently "ticks" once every 64 frames. Whenever it ticks, a bunch of byte rotatations are done to shorten the length of the timer bar.
DecrementTimer: lsr TimerPF+5 ; PF2 right side, reversed bits so shift right rol TimerPF+4 ; PF1 right side, normal bits so shift left ror TimerPF+3 ; PF0 right side, reversed bits so shift right lda TimerPF+3 ; only upper nybble used, so we need to put bit 3 into C lsr lsr lsr lsr ror TimerPF+2 ; PF2 left side, reversed bits so shift right rol TimerPF+1 ; PF1 left side, normal bits so shift left ror TimerPF ; PF0 left side, reversed bits so shift right rts
Since there are 40 playfield pixels, the total playtime would be 40*64/60 = 42.7 seconds. We might decide that's too short of a play time. If so, we'll just change the tick to occur every 128 frames for 40*128/60 = 85.3 seconds of game time, or maybe even once very 256 frames for 40*256/60 = 170.7 seconds.
SetObjectColors has been modified to add a color for the timer bar. The Timer Bar and the Arena are both drawn using the playfield, so to make the Arena a different color than the Timer Bar I store the current Arena color in a RAM location.
SetObjectColors: ldx #4 ; we're going to set 5 colors (0-4) ldy #4 ; default to the color entries in the table (0-4) lda SWCHB ; read the state of the console switches and #%00001000 ; test state of D3, the TV Type switch bne SOCloop ; if D3=1 then use color ldy #9 ; else use the b&w entries in the table (5-9) SOCloop: lda Colors,y ; get the color or b&w value sta COLUP0-1,x ; and set it dey ; decrease Y dex ; decrease X bne SOCloop ; Branch Not Equal to Zero lda Colors,y ; get the Arena color sta ArenaColor ; save in RAM for Kernal Usage rts ; ReTurn from Subroutine Colors: .byte $46 ; red - goes into COLUPF, color for Arena (after Timer is drawn) .byte $86 ; blue - goes into COLUP0, color for player0 and missile0 .byte $C6 ; green - goes into COLUP1, color for player1 and missile1 .byte $64 ; purple - goes into COLUPF, color for Timer .byte $00 ; black - goes into COLUBK, color for background .byte $0A ; light grey - goes into COLUPF, color for Arena (after Timer is drawn) .byte $0E ; white - goes into COLUP0, color for player0 and missile0 .byte $06 ; dark grey - goes into COLUP1, color for player1 and missile1 .byte $04 ; dark grey - goes into COLUPF, color for Timer .byte $00 ; black - goes into COLUBK, color for background
For testing, I've set it up so the Right Difficulty switch is used to determine if the game is a one or two player game for which graphics to use for player1:
ldx #0 bit SWCHB bpl TwoPlayer ldx #1 TwoPlayer: ; Player1Ptr = BoxGfx + HUMAN_HEIGHT - 1 - Y position lda ShapePtrLow,x sec sbc Temp sta Player1Ptr lda ShapePtrHi,x sbc #0 sta Player1Ptr+1 rts ShapePtrLow: .byte <(HumanGfx + HUMAN_HEIGHT - 1) .byte <(BoxGfx + HUMAN_HEIGHT - 1) ShapePtrHi: .byte >(HumanGfx + HUMAN_HEIGHT - 1) .byte >(BoxGfx + HUMAN_HEIGHT - 1)
Right Difficulty = B
Right Difficulty = A
COLLECT TUTORIAL NAVIGATION