Bill Metcalfe passes away

JohnPolka
Calendar

Event details

This event begins 05/06/2020 and repeats every year forever

Bill Metcalfe, co-owner of @ircular Logic, passed away on May 6, 2020. He was 62. Bill, along with co-owner Tom McComb, created several popular games for the Atari 8 bit computer in the 80s and early 90s. These games ran under the BBS Express Pro! Bulletin Board System Software.

Bill and Tom marketed these games under the company name @ircular Logic. Their catalog includes "Nebula Elite" which was an intense multiplayer space empire game. They also created an earlier version of the game called "Nebula". Other games include ZSS Express (a space adventure game), Chess, Reversi (an Othello like game), SeaWar (a Battleship like game), TACTX (an army simulation game), and Gotcha (a paintball simulation game). @ircular Logic games were written in the Action! programming language and featured Artificial Intelligence (AI) that was quite impressive for games running on a 64K 8-bit computer. BBS users could play against other BBS users or against the Atari computer. Atari was no slouch as an opponent thanks to the well written AI algorithms in these games.

@ircular Logic also released a "Life Expectancy" module and an amusing SysOp Secretary module which would answer SysOp pages, chat with the caller, and take a message for the SysOp.

Bill will certainly be missed, but the games he created with Tom will live on. There are still at least three BBSs that have one or more of @ircular Logic games that callers can play:

The Basement BBS (telnet: basementbbs.loginto.me:9000)
Boot Factory 2K (telnet: bfbbs.no-ip.com:8888)
Part-Time BBS (telnet: ptbbs.loginto.me:8000)

Recommended Comments

Thanks for posting those. I actually like looking

at old articles, adverts, etc,... 

I think I'm getting old. Pretty soon I'll be regaling

everyone with thoughts about the good 'ole days...

:)

• Like 1