IGNORED

Atari Flashback Unit

Trip_Cannon

Cool, but not worth it. If its that big, it should have a cartridge slot. It doesn't, and to make matter's worse, they use the uncomfortable atari 7800 sticks, although it looks like you can plug in your own atari 2600 sticks. Considering that I'm getting an atari 7800 when the package gets in, I'm gonna pass on this one.

When are they going to make something like this that comes with built-in games, but has a cartridge slot too? Would it be too expensive to make? And do they do any research before they make something like this? How about pretending to be a newbie here and asking what we all would want if someone made a new product. What kind of joystick do we like and stuff like that?

I'd also like a cart slot, BUT: I wonder if those joysticks are removable?

And the choice of 2600 games is not bad, but why include Sky Diver? Who cut their teeth on that one in the old days? :roll:

Including more 7800 games would have been nice. At least they included one of the best in Food Fight.

I think we may see that this system is in some way upgradeable via a game slot or something.

Because as it stands right now it's simply a Jakks Controller game with two player capabilities, and quasi-better games.

The direct Atari branding and a larger variety of games is this systems saving grace.

But like I said, we may still see the ability to have other games released for this machine.

But alas, we may even yet see a Jaguar system re-release soon too!!!!!

Wait a minute, what does this mean for AA's distribution of Saboteur on cartridge?

If Atari hasn't complained yet, I doubt they will. Chances are, since AA is selling it for the older console, it won't be in direct competition with this new console, on the other hand, Atari may ask for the ROM to be removed.

And lastly I don't think Atari has the right to complain any more! Didn't Atari, under Hasbro, release their rights to all the Atari consoles, and games? or at least open what they had?

Pretty neat, but I agree about the cartridge slot. I'd buy it if it had the slot, but I know how to clean my carts and they all work. I theorize that Atari decided to leave it out due to the unrelyability of 20+ year old carts. It would be a tech/support nightmare to field all of the "My old Pac-Man cart doesnt work in your new console" questions.

Unsatisfied customer: "My E.T. cartridge doesn't work in the Flashback I just bought."

Atari Tech: "Did you clean the contacts?"

U.C.: "What are those? Were they supposed to be in the box?"

A.T.: "They're on the cartridge..."

U.C.:"...I see E.T..... and I see that Elliot kid..."

A.T.:"...no, no, sir.... they're locat..."

U.C.:"and there's a sticker on one end that says E.T. "

A.T.:(heavy sigh)"Sir? Sir?(still listening to the customer describe the cartridge)Sir?" :D