IGNORED

Atari Flashback Unit

Trip_Cannon

The Atari 2600 Jr. cost $50, back in 1988. I'd like to see a little more for my hard earned cash.

I don't see a problem with classic controllers not working in the Flashback. The Sega Genesis used DB9 plugs, and they managed to get 6 fire buttons and a Start button on their pro joypads. I'd think that getting an extra two buttons for Pause and Select wouldn't be all that hard.

Yeah but you have to consider two things:

Firstly you must consider that it's been an extreamly long time since the 2600jr. was availible brand new from Atari for under fifty bucks!

"Under fifty bucks!!, well isn't that nice!"

And two you have to consider that the hardware they are making is about twice the size of the standard Jakks pacific controller game. and so the price should at least reflect the "double production cost" attribute.

aside from that, I think the price would be better at $39.99

that and for $49.99 I can buy a PSone, with a Atari anniversary collection...

Not that I don't already have both, but still... they are definetly aiming at the nestolgia market!!!!!!

Damn, I miss the edit function!

I meant to type (but i'm watching Clerks X at the same time, so I got distracted) I don't see a problem with classic controllers in the Flashback's DB9 socket, since i'd assume they'd use the standard 2600/7800 pins for control and fire buttons, and then assign unused pins to the other two buttons, since the Sega's Pro Gamepads were still 2600 compatible with their directions and fire buttons, but could use all 7 buttons and the directional pad on the Genesis. I'd be willing to bet that old controllers would work on the Flashback, and the Flashback's controllers would probably work on the 2600 or 7800. Maybe the Select and Pause buttons wouldn't work on the 7800, since the originals were in hardware on the motherboard, but you get the idea.

The price point seems reasonable given the technology involved (and the fact that Wal-Mart will no doubt have it cheaper, anyway).

A cartridge slot would make absolutely no sense unless they were going to market cartridges as well. (Which I would welcome, of course, but I expect that to happen exactly never.)

I like the size. I like the look (except I still would like the proper Fuji back).

The only thing I really don't get is the decision to go with the Pro-Line style joystick, when they could have gone with the NES-like pads that were released in Europe.

Still, new Atari hardware. Who'da thunk it?

The Atari 2600 cost something like $179 in 1980. In 1988, the technology had dropped in price to make it cost effective to sell at $50. Production costs on the technology used in 2600s and 7800s should have dropped a heck of a lot more since then. I think the new Atari is just trying to be greedy, and get as much disposable income out of Gen-X'ers as they can. They saw how many units of the Jakks Pacific Atari Joystick sold, and they thought "if so many of those sold for $25, we can really clean up by selling ours at $50!"

Still, new Atari hardware.  Who'da thunk it?

Anybody with a damn brain in their head.

HEY KIDS! CLASSIC GAMES ARE COOL AGAIN!

So every company and their subsidiaries are rereleasing gimped versions of the more popular products they either abandoned or inherited. Hey, why doesn't Apple rerelease a fucked up Apple II with no keyboard?

The price point seems reasonable given the technology involved (and the fact that Wal-Mart will no doubt have it cheaper, anyway).  

A cartridge slot would make absolutely no sense unless they were going to market cartridges as well.  (Which I would welcome, of course, but I expect that to happen exactly never.)

I like the size.  I like the look (except I still would like the proper Fuji back).

The only thing I really don't get is the decision to go with the Pro-Line style joystick, when they could have gone with the NES-like pads that were released in Europe.  

Still, new Atari hardware.  Who'da thunk it?

The price point actually isnt correct, while it may state $44.99 as the suggested retail price, the units should be on shelves for $34.99-$37.99 tops...

Curt

Hey, why doesn't Apple rerelease a fucked up Apple II with no keyboard?

Actually I was hoping Apple would release a mini Apple I.

In watch form.

Actually there is a company making a product called the Replica-1 which is an Apple-1 clone, uses an original APPLE ASCII keyboard or PS/2 type keyboard and uses a standard PC power supply.

Curt

Up on the thread people have observed that this fad is approaching glut status what with existing units from Jakks, Radica, Intellivision, and all the famiclones, and more on the way from Radica, Commodore and now this.

It just occurred to me that we haven't seen the "Colecovision All-In-One TV Games" out of Telegames yet :D

Though a Colecovision without Donkey Kong et al. would kinda suck I guess....

I like everything about this idea except the fact they modeled the joysticks after those horrid 7800 wristbreakers.

Maybe they'll also sell special Nintendo-style controllers you can use instead. Maybe paddles too? They wouldn't make those things 'unplugable' if they weren't thinking about plugging other things in would they?

You had to use your 7800 to cook food??? Wow you really were as poor as you're always posting about.

I kinda dont like the NEW style pads when playing 2600 games.

I use the pad playing Activision Anthology and my score were considerably less... I suppose it's just something you'd have to get used to. That said I wasnt crazy about the 7800 joysticks either. Too bad they didn't release a 2600 style joystick with a second button on top of the stick.

I like everything about this idea except the fact they modeled the joysticks after those horrid 7800 wristbreakers.

Maybe they'll also sell special Nintendo-style controllers you can use instead. Maybe paddles too? They wouldn't make those things 'unplugable' if they weren't thinking about plugging other things in would they?

Actually, a lot of products do (my beloved 110volt childhood electric racetrack that shot sparks when in use springs to mind). Wires are considered "clutter".

The 7800's controllers wouldn't be my first choice. Updated versions of the European 7800 pads could have been nice, but i'd rather have an actual joystick with two buttons. EPYX had a 2600 compatible stick (I think it's called the 500XJ) and they also made a two-button version for the NES. That joystick would have been great. A real joystick, ergonomically designed, with two well placed fire buttons. That would be the best.

Ever have a frying pan with a perfectly round handle? Then have you ever tried to carry it full of water/hamburger helper/whatever without spilling it? This is exactly why I HATE the 7800's controller shape.

Warning:

No not use your Atari 7800 to carry water or Hamburger Helper. Only carry Atari-approved items such as Reese's Pieces.

The price point actually isnt correct, while it may state $44.99 as the suggested retail price, the units should be on shelves for $34.99-$37.99 tops...

Curt

At the risk of you having to kill your self, what's under the hood? Actual updated 2600/7800 on a chip, or more NES on a chip garbage with ported games?

If the updates that "might" come out after this one do wind up having a cartridge adaptor, I would think at least the updates would have to be using actual updated 2600/7800 intenals.

They should use the old atari comercials for that under 50 bucks part. That is so funny. I got one for you. The controlers can upload stuff. how about that? So you plug in a box to port two and boom you have more games and such. Hmm, wonder how many people will paint this white or put wood grain sticky paper on it. Snicker. I hate that big red label. I was thinking on removing it if I get one but then again. why ruin someting tha twill be worth 100.00 in thirthy years. LOL. Need to remebr keep the box. Hmm wonder if the box will be like the original red box. that would be cool

laters,

ussexplorer

P.S. when will the laser disc unit be read for it? lol