IGNORED

Atari Flashback Unit

Trip_Cannon

I have a funny feeling those controllers aren't removable ... :(
That would be bad, and they wouldn't do that, because people want to be able to take their controllers out. Even if it was teathered to the console, I'd hack in some DB-9 connectors and DB-9 connectors on the controlers.

My opinion...

Good for kids who just want something to play and see how far video games have came.

Plus it's cheaper than the PS2.

Good for adults who want to play the games that they played when they were young.

If your a (true) Video Gamer then go out and buy the real thing.

You can pick up a nice one with maybe 15-20 games for $50.

Plus there's no limit to the games you can play.

With this flashback you can't show off your huge collection of games.

It is cool though and I'll probably get one for Christmas even though I already have a 7800 on its way.

strange, I've got that feeling too... :(

Actually they are removable, however, due to the design of the joysticks and the addition of Pause and Select buttons on them, they are not compatible with other Atari consoles and the Flashback console unfortunately could not be geared to use stock Atari joysticks on this first edition.

Here are some more photo's:

atari-joystick.jpg

atari-joystickplug.jpg

Curt

So... what are the bonus buttons for? Select and Reset? If so, your classic controllers won't work.

Feh... without a cart slot, it's dead to me (Joe Schmo style.) The good news is that since the mockup is obviously an Illustrator/Freehand rendering, maybe... just maybe... Atari isn't into the build phase... and maybe... just maybe... they're reading the AtariAge message boards! Add the cart slot!

strange, I've got that feeling too... :(

Actually they are removable, however, due to the design of the joysticks and the addition of Pause and Select buttons on them, they are not compatible with other Atari consoles and the Flashback console unfortunately could not be geared to use stock Atari joysticks on this first edition.

Here are some more photo's:

atari-joystick.jpg

atari-joystickplug.jpg

Curt

Hey where did you get thouse pics from??

Curt, I know you say there is a possibility that there might be another version, but whoever buys this thing more than likely won't be interested in buying another one next year. Atari really needs to get it right the first time. Without a way to change/add more games they are shooting themselves in the foot imho.

Jeff

Maybe they will come out with a latter version with a port because of customer demand. (a-la, we want the old Coke back.)

Or someone here will find a way to hack in a cart slot. If this is truly the old system and can work with carts.

Do you think they put any expansion capabilities?

It would be dumb not to, as they can get another $10-$20 for 20 more in a expansion cart thing.

Because:

filled with 20 classic Atari games

I know 20, is not my idea of filled!

If Majesco redid the Nomad and released something about the size of a GBA with x-many onboard Genesis/Master System games, it would be nifty.... but you know it would be an absolute must-have if they stuck a cart slot on it for shits and giggles... and everyone would love them for it.

Well, except Nomad profiteers.

I gotta admit that this one is a bit of a rough call. I love what Atari is trying to do here by reaching out to the nostalgia crowd - heck, it's great to see Atari back in this marketplace, no matter how unlikely it seems.

The thing is that there are now a number of these sorts of units on the market from Jakks and Radica (and there is also a Commodore one coming - I played the prototype this weekend), and it's going to be tough for the consumer to distinguish between those and the Atari unit.

Then again, we are operating on very early news of this device. I'm sure that savvy minds are at work on this thing. There's gotta be something in there to make it worth the $50 that we just don't know about. In my mind the ideal thing would be for Atari to set up a Napster sort of service where you can DL ROM's for 99 cents to your phone or palm or a device like this one. THAT would be hot and appeal to more than just the retro crowd I think.

The removable joysticks are interesting too. I didn't think that they'd be compatible with the old sticks since there's really not a source for new joysticks (we know where to find 'em, but I doubt a current retailer would devote space to them) and it defeats the all-in-one idea of these devices. At the same time, I'm really intrigued why they're removable. perhaps there are some cool accessories coming? Light Gun? Trak Ball? Mind Link? :)

It's a nice little thing, and hopefully there will be some wicked cool revelation making it worth the $40-50 that it will ultimately retail for. I'm sure that it must be galling to have the Jakks people producing the sexy (and iconic) Atari joystick game system while Atari themselves must relegate themselves to a mini version of a less popular system.

I admire Atari for having the cojones to hit the market with this, and am hoping that it does well. Why? Because I hope that the next one is a mini woodgrain six switch. :)