IGNORED

Do Wii updates ALWAYS take this long?

Jess Ragan

Well, thanks to one of my friends at the local GameStop, I managed to get my hands on a Nintendo Wii. After setting it up, I was asked to wait for a firmware update... and one hour later, I'm still waiting for it to finish! Is this online access speed typical of the Wii, or do I have a (shudder...) faulty unit?

JR

It is downloading more than one firmware update (4, I think). That is being done one right after another, it just doesn't show it to you, it looks like it is only one.

When I downloaded two of the updates it took close to 45 minutes to do. If it still hasn't DL'd by now you might have a problem.

Edited by bruser_inc

You would be correct, sir! Well, half-correct anyway. It took a little more than an hour for the first update to finish... but then the Wii wanted to update AGAIN! Arrgh! Now that it's finished with both updates, it's chugging through a download of the Opera browser. It's still monstrously slow, but it'll be worth the trouble if it works.

I'm not yet in the mood to play video games, but I imagine I will eventually. Right now, though, I just want to screw around with the interface and breathe in that new console smell.

JR

I just want to screw around with the interface and breathe in that new console smell.

JR

Gott'a love that new console smell, I still remember it from my GameBoy and Genesis... Get that sniff from the cartridge port and your on cloud 9, or 7, what ever it is, its as sweet as mamma's apple pie :)

definitely your connection. You really need to put your router on channel 11. Don't know why..but that is the magic number for the Wii to move along smoothly. The updates on my Wii took less than a minute each. And the opera browser only took about a minute to install as well.

But you are not alone in that many have reported their Wii's taking a very very long time to do the updates.

glad it is working for you now though, have fun with it!!

I'm not yet in the mood to play video games, but I imagine I will eventually. Right now, though, I just want to screw around with the interface and breathe in that new console smell.

Be careful there Jess, that is just the plastic 'outgassing' it's probably not all that healthy. ;)

Regardless, congrats on your new toy.

Hex.

[ (something)... incense, wine, and (something-something) :? ]

definitely your connection. You really need to put your router on channel 11. Don't know why..but that is the magic number for the Wii to move along smoothly. The updates on my Wii took less than a minute each. And the opera browser only took about a minute to install as well.

But you are not alone in that many have reported their Wii's taking a very very long time to do the updates.

So the problem is with the wireless connection? Well, I don't have any control over THAT... I'm grabbing a wireless signal from a neighbor in this apartment. Unless I can change the way the Wii receives its signal, I'm outta luck.

And Hex... ugh! That would explain the smell emanating from my new television set. Lung cancer, ho!

JR

So the problem is with the wireless connection?

My updates took no where near an hour. I dunno neccesarily that it is the wireless connection in as much as it's just the neighbors connection to the internet. My wireless connection to my equipment (A cheap ass wireless router) works fine (Altho the whole online experience does seem a tad slow, like when you pull up the shop or the weather). Then again I know how much bandwidth I am using. For all you know your neighbors internet connection is already pegged. In any case, I don't recall it taking more than 5 minutes to upgrade the first time so something is screwy.

My updates took 5-10 minutes out of the box, and VC downloads took a several minutes. Since I switched my router to channel 11, VC updates have been very fast (about one minute). Haven't done a system update since, but the news channel should be out soon, so I assume I'll have to update them. So, yeah, Channel 11 seems much faster to me.

The only reason it should take a very long time is if you're like me and are forced to share a dialup connection through a wireless router. When I updated, all of the updates combined took me over four hours to complete. But, that said, the majority of you are on high-speed, so I don't see any reason why those same system updates would take any more than 15-20 minutes at the most for you, unless there's some problem on the network (either with your connection setup, or on Nintendo's end, or somewhere there in between).

Well, I just got my Wii tonight and thankfully had absolutely no problems at all with the updates. The first one took maybe a minute and the second probably took twice as long.

I was really impressed by how simple it was to get the thing online using my DS Wi-Fi connector.