IGNORED

Some classic game stores are getting just plain greedy

1. they'll let you place a game order--and call you when the game comes in (that's how I got my Godzilla-Save the Earth)

2. they'll repair any system--or replace it for you if they can't repair it (my SNES's controller ports wouldn't work; they couldn't repair it and replaced the SNES for me for the cost of the repair)

3. they'll repair CDs/DVDs--for free if the CD/DVD was bought there and can be shown to not work

4. they'll let you try before you buy for any game and/or controller

5. they sell rf adapters and AC adapters for the early 90's systems at reasonable prices

6. and they have a friendly staff ready to answer any questions and assist you.

Sure, some of their prices are a little high (with few exceptions, their SF-series games for the PS1 & PS2 are usually $40 apiece, for one example), but most aren't--and I'm willing to pay the higher price for the wide selection and the friendly service and variety of services the chain offers.

Game X Change does all that and they still have the lowest prices of any chain around here. "Pre orders" are done mainly for regular customers, and disc repair costs $3 unless you bought the disc at one of their stores (in which case, it's free). They'll replace defective hardware, and can get you hooked up with someone who is able to repair systems if they can't do it in house. They're far cheaper than the big name stores like GameStop, and most of their prices are lower than Vintage Stock.

...aaaaand if we had a Game X-Change around here, maybe I'd consider giving them my business. :roll:

But around here we have limited options:

Big-name chain stores which have a limited selection, usually of the latest games...

Thrift stores, usually in the 8-track bin, and usually only 2600 cartridges...

Gamestop, and I said my piece on them already...

...and GameTrader.

They might not be all that knowledgeable concerning older systems (I had to explain to one person behind the counter that you had to turn off the 2600 when you changed cartridges, as well as explan the A-B switches, to him)...but, given that they're usually 5-10 years younger than me, that's understandable. ;)

Like I said, only a small bit of their stuff is high in price. Most of their stuff is quite reasonable--and they have lots of variety to choose from for all the big-name systems, from the 2600 & Intellivision to the PS2, XBox, and Gamecube.

If those are HIS price tags, that's what he should charge for them, & what you rightly & correctly should expect to pay.

If that happened to me, I'd dump the games on the counter/floor, walk out, never come back, & make sure I tell EVERYONE to do the same.

I'd also say to him on my way out "I reckon you can take a flying f-ck."

:lol:

...aaaaand if we had a Game X-Change around here, maybe I'd consider giving them my business. :roll:

Just say, "Beam me up, Scotty!" and you can be at Game X Change in the blink of an eye! You've seen Star Trek, right? :P

Oh.

We're kinda lucky to have a decent outlet for classic game around here.

*Update Ohio*

Walked into the same gamestore and looked around. Conker's Bad Fur Day carts are now $50. So are Mario kart, Super Smash Bros, and Donkey Kong.

I was looking at other games and it appears he has been hitting the bottle or ebay for prices. Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy Tactics complete for $15 each (not too bad) but they won't let you open it to see if A. the games are inside B. to see if they work. Scored a copy of Mario Party 2 for $8 (it appears someone either spilled pop on it or had their spleen removed on it) Oh well came off with rubbing alcohol works fine.

I enjoy going to this store more and more so I can share how unbelievably backward/dense some people are. Visiting this establishment has become a new hobby for me.

*Update Ohio*

I was looking at other games and it appears he has been hitting the bottle or ebay for prices. Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy Tactics complete for $15 each (not too bad) but they won't let you open it to see if A. the games are inside B. to see if they work.

Would they go as far as letting you play test it in the store AFTER you have purchased it, so you are not stuck with a bad copy ?(I'm assuming that they have re-shrink wrapped used games????) This seems like really poor service.

You can tell if a CD case contains a disc by looking in the edge of it. Of course, even if it's got a black disc, that doesn't mean it's not something uber common like wipEout.

FFVII's triple case can't be seen into because the main part of it is black.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything there unless he has at least a 7 day a refund policy for defective products, and I'd open it right there at the counter right before I paid for it. I'd have the cash out, and slice the "new" shrinkwrap just before I hand over the cash.

What's he gonna do, throw me outta the store?

Sorry, but I don't buy used disc based games without seeing the disc I'm paying for first. If that means you gotta cut open your shrinkwrap, then so be it. If your store is honest and sells working games, then it's no loss since I'm going to pay for the game when I see the disc is clean and it's the correct one.

If the store's dishonest, though, they stand to get stuck with a bad copy of a game that they should not taken in anyway.

I'm assuming the N64 titles mentioned above were loose. There's not a single loose N64 game cart that's worth more than $20--not even StarCraft or Ogre Battle.

They do not allow you to test anything in store. They claim everything has been tested before hand. He does have a "If it's dead when you get home I'll probably just jerk you around and claim you tried to put the cart in backwards and give you a buck or two for it so I can rip off another person "clause. I talked to a friend of mine who has been ripped off by this guy and he said he writes, "Pity The Fool" on all the carts and disc he gets from this store that don't work. Had to laugh looking through the Sega gen carts must have been 10-12 of them.

Anyway went back got (all PSX titles) a copy of Colony Wars complete for $3, sealed copy of C-12 Final Resistance $3, and copy of Fear Effect supposedly sealed for $3. The Fear Effect was missing disc one when I removed the little sticky seal from the top and the "shrink wrap". I went back in and he through out the clause and how do I know you didn't steal it?! He then said hmm it was sealed maybe Japan forgot to give you one. Oh well I said you know you may be right. Went to the shelf found a copy of Fear Effect and exchanged my copy. (if you know what I mean) Never a dull day.

Yes the carts were loose for $50. Right now he has sealed boxed of Mega Man 64 and Cruisin USA for about $30 a piece. I don't think I'd ever want to buy his sealed boxes. I can just imagine my luck with them, "God dammit! He gave me another freakin copy of Quarter Back Club!"

That's why if you're going to buy those from him, you open the boxes before you let go of the cash.

The easiest solution, however, is to not shop there. I wouldn't. You can probably get all the boxed N64 games you want from ebay, and if someone shafts you, you neg them.

Local game store around here is run by a complete idiot. Splitstone Entertainmnet. The guy is a jerk and the people that work there are uninterested in any type of service. I wanted to purchase a loose Donkey Kong 64 (sticker said $8), Mario Kart ($5), Super Smash Bros. ($10), and a boxed Conker's Bad Fur Day ($10). When I took this all up to the counter I was expecting about $35 for everything tax etc. He told me it was going to be $60. When I pointed out that the prices were on the carts he said

"I reckon I can charge whatever price I want."

So I haggled for about 10 mins and he told me that boxed copies of games were worth less due to the space they take up in a store. So I left the store with a boxed copy of Body Harvest, Donkey Kong 64, Mario Kart, and WCW/NWO Revenge for $21?! I have no idea what logic this guy works by I turned around and sold the Mario Kart for $15 on ebay.

Basically, the majority of these guys (their are exceptions) think that they can charge whatever they want for their games. They have no idea of prices and use ebay as a measure of how much that can sell stuff for. I also hate how 5 different copies of the same game can be in anywhere from mint to poor condition and cost the same. (although it does work to an advantage sometimes)

Here in the UK, if a shop had those stickered prices on the games, then by law, they have to sell them at that price.

I used to hunt out cheap games over teh local car boot sale, paying no more than £5 a piece depending on what it was.

I later sold 90% of my entire collection for £2,500 back in 1997. I kept my N64, Gameboy and PC.. The person who brought the stuff opened a shop locally to sell it all. Not many people brought the stuff though.

Nice I wish that it was worth the effort of arguing about the stickers. It is just as they said above easier not to shop there. Most of the time its one of those if people start buying a lot of it the price gets jacked. He has probably a whole wall full of Atari carts and a few colleco. but I wouldn't buy a single cart because I have no way to test them. They are only $1-$3 but still. Maybe if I saw something sweet like Mr. Do's or other rarer titles.

hidden gems today i wanted to tell u about about ( you gotta be careful with some of these used game store that's for sure)

(goodwill)

eternal champions <----1.99

sonic and knuckles(complete in box/w/shrinkrap<--- 2.75

GameCrazy

Crazy taxi <---- 1.99

nba 2k 1 and 2k2 <---- 0.99 each

gameforce (local game place

street fighter alpha 3 14.99

(6.23 on coins alone lol :) so i only paid 10 bucks cash

:cool: :cool: :( hidden gems today i wanted to tell u about about ( you gotta be careful with some of these used game store that's for sure)

(goodwill)

eternal champions <----1.99

sonic and knuckles(complete in box/w/shrinkrap<--- 2.75

GameCrazy

Crazy taxi <---- 1.99

nba 2k 1 and 2k2 <---- 0.99 each

gameforce (local game place

street fighter alpha 3 14.99

(6.23 on coins alone lol :) so i only paid 10 bucks cash

• 1 year later...

That store I mentioned has stickers on some of the games that have been there since the old owner sold it to him 5-7 years ago. There is a sign at the front door that reads: "do not trust prices on games, prices given at the counter" or some nonsense like that.

I popped in there a week ago to see what was new. Found a 7800 title I didn't have and he did the usual internet lookup. $7. High IMO for a copy of Crack'd but what the hell. Never saw it before. It's still sitting in my center console in my car.

I have spent $7 there in the past year. His loss.

What's the name of the store in Rosedale, I'd like to check it out

Uhh- Games N Go, thats why I thought it might be where you went! I think there's 3 locations.

Theres also one in St.Cloud, MN. The guy who runs the place is pretty nice, but the prices on everything is ridiculous. I ended up trading a few games to him though and got a good haul in return (sorry, can't remember which games... some SNES). That might be the one good thing about the place, if you have a copy of some popular game that he has insanely priced, he'll usually give you a decent price for it.

Local game store around here is run by a complete idiot. Splitstone Entertainmnet. The guy is a jerk and the people that work there are uninterested in any type of service. I wanted to purchase a loose Donkey Kong 64 (sticker said $8), Mario Kart ($5), Super Smash Bros. ($10), and a boxed Conker's Bad Fur Day ($10). When I took this all up to the counter I was expecting about $35 for everything tax etc. He told me it was going to be $60. When I pointed out that the prices were on the carts he said

"I reckon I can charge whatever price I want."

So I haggled for about 10 mins and he told me that boxed copies of games were worth less due to the space they take up in a store. So I left the store with a boxed copy of Body Harvest, Donkey Kong 64, Mario Kart, and WCW/NWO Revenge for $21?! I have no idea what logic this guy works by I turned around and sold the Mario Kart for $15 on ebay.

Basically, the majority of these guys (their are exceptions) think that they can charge whatever they want for their games. They have no idea of prices and use ebay as a measure of how much that can sell stuff for. I also hate how 5 different copies of the same game can be in anywhere from mint to poor condition and cost the same. (although it does work to an advantage sometimes)

Is this one of those"MOM AND POP" stores?if it is,independent stores do have the right to charge what they want,and ALL retail stores in general.If their prices are too high,then maybe they'll realize it and lower them when no one buys them,thats if they're interested in staying in business.If they give you a hard time,and dont want to lower the price,walk out,simple.They'll get the message.Theres always ones who will pay those prices eventually,i guess they're very patient people!!But,yeah,that store clerk is an asshole,i would have said"I'll come back when this store is a pizza joint"

Edited by Rik

There used to be a game store near me that had EVERYTHING. It was called Treasure Island and when I say the guy had everything I mean everything. The only problem was his prices were outrageous. He charged $5 for Combat for 2600 and I swear no NES game was less than $10. I loved this store because of all the cool stuff he had but I hardly ever bought anything. Plus this guy had a bad attitude. Everytime someone walked in the store he acted like you were bugging him. I once asked him if he was running a fucking store or not. I am glad he went out of buisnees.

I'm shocked that he went out of business, since there are laws that require us to pay the inflated prices for these games and a giant government and international police force that props them up and keeps them running just to make consumers miserable. Ah, how I long for the days of the free market.

Honestly though, some of you guys seem to want to live in a strange world which is at once both communist ("who needs profit? it's all about the love of games!") and free-market ("You can't force me to pay those outrageous prices! I'm going to Wal-Mart!").

There used to be a game store near me that had EVERYTHING. It was called Treasure Island and when I say the guy had everything I mean everything. The only problem was his prices were outrageous. He charged $5 for Combat for 2600 and I swear no NES game was less than $10. I loved this store because of all the cool stuff he had but I hardly ever bought anything. Plus this guy had a bad attitude. Everytime someone walked in the store he acted like you were bugging him. I once asked him if he was running a fucking store or not. I am glad he went out of buisnees.

I'm shocked that he went out of business, since there are laws that require us to pay the inflated prices for these games and a giant government and international police force that props them up and keeps them running just to make consumers miserable. Ah, how I long for the days of the free market.

Honestly though, some of you guys seem to want to live in a strange world which is at once both communist ("who needs profit? it's all about the love of games!") and free-market ("You can't force me to pay those outrageous prices! I'm going to Wal-Mart!").

You're missing the point. Yes, sellers are out for profit. Who isn't? But when you have 19 copies of Pole Position II for the 7800 and you're selling them for $8.00 each, that's a little extreme. Near me in the Cincinnati area, there is a store called GameSwap that sells old and new games. They are sometimes decent on prices, but sometimes I wonder. Jeopardy for Genesis is $5.00? Are you kidding me? They have so many copies of that it's like they spawn daily. Some places need to realize that no one will spend a lot on old games when there are a bazillion of them floating around.

I think alot of store owners think they'll make out like a bandit on classic games,and prey on the uninformed.But they should know better that the majority of the classic gaming fans arent "spring chickens"in age and knowledge

Edited by Rik

Makes me think of Vintage Crack in Midwest City. I called over there and was told "we can't move our existing Atari 2600 games, so we're not buying any more". Frickin' duh, if you wouldn't charge $35 for loose carts, maybe they'd sell. The new Vintage Stock down in Moore bought every single game I brought in. their highest price on a 2600 game? Strawberry Shortcake at $5.99.

Makes me think of Vintage Crack in Midwest City. I called over there and was told "we can't move our existing Atari 2600 games, so we're not buying any more". Frickin' duh, if you wouldn't charge $35 for loose carts, maybe they'd sell. The new Vintage Stock down in Moore bought every single game I brought in. their highest price on a 2600 game? Strawberry Shortcake at $5.99.

I hadn't understood the animosity toward VS, having only been to the one in Moore. Seemed like a pretty cool place to me... but if the pricing is that different, I'll certainly be wary!