IGNORED

fuck inflation!

CARTRIDGE STEALER

I was in my local deli the other day and they had recently installed 3 video games! I was like "cool!!! video games!" one was a racing one, another was a multi betting video game type of machine and the other was a MS PAC MAN/GALAGA combo. I didnt have time to play them until yesterday. I go to plunk in a quarter then I read "4 quarters = 1 play"!

what the fuq? $1 to play MS PACMAN/GALAGA? No thanks!!! I will wait till I get home!

Hmmph...

Actually, there's two arcades that I regularly go to (with my kids...great excuse huh?) and while they piss away thier money on the $1.00-$2.00 (new) games, the few classic games are still a quarter. Unfortunately though each place only has 2 games...one has Ms Pacman/Galaga combo, and the other has Frogger (and they both each have a Centipede)

I guess since neither place really attracts old farts like myself those games dont get much action so they must figure a quarter is all they'll get?!?!?!?!

It wasn't that long ago when the expensive new games were 50 cents. There's no way I'm paying a dollar to play a game that was always 25 cents. It better have a special opening and provide a massage parlor type of service with full release as I play.

The old classics are usually the ones I will play at gameworks and it's a bonus that they are cheaper than the new games. Although with the swiping your card and removing credits they sure do a good job of encrypting what you really spend.

I just went to Gameworks and the Centipede and Pac were only 3 points. Not sure what that equals in actual money but 450 points cost me $25 so

I do know thats a lot less than a dollar.

BTW - Gameworks is actually pretty damn cool. I had a great time :)

Yeah I don't waste my money on $1.00 games anymore 50c is pushing it the only time I play a 50c game is when some one else put a quarter in then realized that they have to put another one so then they walked away. I had this happen many times where there was a credit still on the machine. Yeah as for inflation they want you to think the money is worth more than it was back in the 80's for a game but the money really isn’t. I mean man houses cost like $500,000 now when just 15 years ago you could get the same thing for $150,000 to $200,000 ha ha the only thing is people are still making the same types of wages they were 15 years ago. I must say things have gotten crazy everything costs way too much and you get less for it.

Yeah I don't waste my money on $1.00 games anymore 50c is pushing it the only time I play a 50c game is when some one else put a quarter in then realized that they have to put another one so then they walked away. I had this happen many times where there was a credit still on the machine. Yeah as for inflation they want you to think the money is worth more than it was back in the 80's for a game but the money really isn’t. I mean man houses cost like $500,000 now when just 15 years ago you could get the same thing for $150,000 to $200,000 ha ha the only thing is people are still making the same types of wages they were 15 years ago. I must say things have gotten crazy everything costs way too much and you get less for it.

Couldn't agree more with you on that one ;)

Gameworks is the BOMB! It's been years ago, but I went to the one in Seattle. Back then the smartcards did display a cent or dollar amount.

Virtua Racing was $2, IIRC, but it was is a massive eight player simultaneous machine with an announcer standing nearby and two monitors atop the hulking monster of a game. The seats were in full motion cars with cameras attatched. It was worth every penny that I paid to play it.

The Lost World was also in a full motion cabinet, sans the announcer, the relaoding, and six of the players. It was a custom version. One play was a whopping $4!

Super GT was $1 to play, and I came close to removing Steven Spielberg's initials from the best times (hey, Steven, look for the JMH on your machine!) That Super GT machine, for the record, was worth about $36,000 USD.

Classic games were 20 cents, I think.

Now onto the topic...arcade prices are ludicrous these days. Tops I think you should pay is $1 for a sit down cabinet game that's modern (no Missile Command for $1, but thanks). I've played SCUD Race, Daytona USA, Star Wars Episode I Racer Arcade, 1998 Sega Rally, and quite a few others for $1 a pop and loved every minute of it. I played Mant TT for 50 cents a ride, and got to the point where I could finish both tracks (notice a trend of Sega racing games here?). The standard Lost World game usually costs 50 cents, which I think is reasonable.

If it's a pre crash game, 50 cents is the most you should pay for a sit down version. DDR or anything similar counts as a sit down since it's more than just standing there.

Stand up games should be 25 cents a pop, period. Maybe they could charge 50 cents for the initial start and 25 to continue, but I'm seeing stand up games for a buck each now, and I think that's just absurd.

The local Wal Mart has Ms Pac Man/Galaga for 25 cents a play. Incredible Pizza, on the other hand, does charge a bit much for the games, but the pizza sure is good. They use smartcards of their own.

Off topic a bit, but how many of you have one of Gameworks's orginial smart cards? I still have the Vitamin G timed play one I got in 1998. In fact, it's in the picture slot in my wallet where it can be seen every time I prepare to lay out for some classic game or other.

I echo that: most sit-down games or new releases come in at $1 and I'm okay with that. A dollar for a classic arcade game (Pac) is outrageous, though; they'll probably price themselves out of play.

Something just occurred to me: was the cabinet new? A Pac/Galaga combo could be a new construction, in which they're going to try to get their money back. I notice most places (pizza joints, arcades) with original games have them going for a quarter, if they still work. I've seen a lot of "no-pay" machines and hacks too (the zombie Ms. Pac hack was strangest).