IGNORED

Leaving discs in your Wii = bad?

figgler

I can't stand it when people leave games in a console. You should not leave a disc in any optical drive that remains powered (such as a HTiB, computer drive, or a console.) You can quickly wear an optical drive out that way. On the lazy side of things... come on! You could probably recover the energy it takes to put a game away by eating a Cheerio or two. The idea that it takes just too much effort to put a game away and take it back out when you want to play it again simply astounds me.

Well, now that you have established not only your technical superiority but also your ability to expend energy and attend to small detail, I hope you feel better about yourself. I find it absurd that I would have to take a disc out of a console if I'm not done playing it. It seems like an anal retentive obsession that would add more wear and tear on the loading mechanism than anything else. I think it would be a safe bet that most people leave discs inside their consoles, computers, cd players, etc.

I am not trying to establish superiority. I though there was a conversation going on here. Sorry to have assumed that comments on the topic were welcome. I personally don't like leaving games in a console or seeing a game left in a console. This may speak to my organizational skills where I may be lacking in some area where you are not. It is not about superiority. It is about personal preference. I never said anyone here was wrong. I said I disagree with leaving games in consoles and I have reasons for feeling that way. Ultimately I like things to be in their place and when a console is not in use I feel like the game should be put away.

I had to comment on the idea that putting a game away and getting it out later is too much work because video gamers are already stereotyped as lazy. The idea that something as simple as putting the game away until you play it again later takes to much energy just reinforces that stereotype to an extreme degree.

Lazy is not doing something that you are supposed to do just because you don’t feel like expending the time or energy. I really should have used the word "unnecessary." It just seems like an unnecessary waste of time and energy to take a game out of a console and then put the same game back into the console the next time you turn the thing on. Why not just leave it in there? Is there proof that removing a game from a console before turning it off is a necessity? (And I’m not talking about moving the console around with the disc still in it.) If there is I’ll remove the discs because I’m not lazy and I care about my stuff, especially stuff I pay a lot of money for. But if there is no proof and this is just your personal preference, that’s fine too. But just don’t make it seem like your preference is the best way to do things.

But really, this is not an argument as much as it is a friendly disagreement. Just something to talk about :)

The fact that Nintendo states this leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the design of the Wii. Possibly airflow. They may know that leaving the discs out will extend the life of your Wii.

As for something to play in your Wii, get Ocarina of Time: Master Quest if you haven't played it yet. I couldn't really get into if before (couldn't compare to Windwaker IMO). But now after Twilight Princess I'm hooked.

How much power is the unit drawing when in stand by?

17W .26A - Playing Zelda
10W .17A - Wii 24 (standby)
1W  .03A - Off

By my measurements anyway :) The Wii doesn't draw much more power on then off. Except when on, the cooling system is active. So its gets way hotter when 'off' :lol:

My Wii also wound up playing mostly GC games. Right now it's basically a stand alone Zelda machine, unless I bring it to a party for some sports action. Just isn't anything real compelling, and there's only so much Wii sports you can play. :P

Need to get back to Zelda though, just haven't had the time to devote to it.

@Hyper_Eye - Yeah, leaving a system on with a disc in and walking away for days is a sure fire way to kill an optical unit over time. Buddy of mine did that to his first Xbox, and a PS2. :lol:

Someone wrote into the newest issue of Nintendo Power I have, asking the same question. The NP guys seemed to say that leaving the discs in the Wii wasn't a problem. However, that does seem to go right against what the Wii's manual says.

I would say that leaving a disc in a console short-term, while turned off (not on standby), wouldn't result in a problem. Overnight certainly wouldn't hurt. But I wouldn't leave the whole console turned on overnight. If using standby, moving the Wii, or if you plan on not using the Wii more than a few days at a time, then I'd say it'd probably be best to remove the disc.

It's one of those situations where you have to ask yourself what you feel reasonably safe doing, but as with most things a little common sense will go a long long way. ;)

It's one of those situations where you have to ask yourself what you feel reasonably safe doing, but as with most things a little common sense will go a long long way. ;)

Okay well, I'll be dilligently removing it now going forward. Like I said, you can hear it working when you aren't accessingthe disc and I don't really like it too much. Better safe than sorry I guess

I can't stand it when people leave games in a console. You should not leave a disc in any optical drive that remains powered (such as a HTiB, computer drive, or a console.) You can quickly wear an optical drive out that way. On the lazy side of things... come on! You could probably recover the energy it takes to put a game away by eating a Cheerio or two. The idea that it takes just too much effort to put a game away and take it back out when you want to play it again simply astounds me.

they put a freakin power button on the wiimote cause they knew we were too lazy to walk up to the system... i think wanting to leave the disk in the system going out on a limb on "too lazy" when you have features like that. odd isnt it? the system that makes you work makes it so you dont have to walk 2 feet to hit a power button. :D