IGNORED

Leaving discs in your Wii = bad?

figgler

My cousin swears by this and says it's even in the manual, but I haven't looked since the box is stored away.

Thougts?

I'm thinking that the disc does a lot of loading and spinning even when you're on other channels. That can't be good long-term. Or maybe I'm paranoid.

-this is a Wii Post :thumbsup:

The manual does state to not leave Wii discs in the unit. However, I have left Zelda, Warioware, and a few others in my Wii for days at a time and nothing bad has happened yet. I think the main concern is moving the Wii with discs in it as that might scratch the discs, similar to that of the 360.

My Wii hasn't been plugged in for last 2 weeks, but I am pretty sure Wii Sports is still in there.. its also been moved around about 3 times...

:scared:

You own a Wii and haven't played it for 2 weeks!! Why not?

It actually coincides with the time I set up my new 50" plasma...

(looks around for Starscream...) and I don't have any component cables for it...

Whoops, I meant to whisper that...

Really - I haven't had any time to mess with it - I am also renovating the basement right now -

I've played just about daily since Nov 19 and have never left a disc in, I read the manual quick before I started playing. I know....it's hard to believe that people still read instructions for electronics but I didn't want to do anything wrong and while I was puzzled as to why you shouldn't leave the discs in, I just went with it and have been in the habit of taking the disc out when I'm done with it.

On the other hand, my little brother is quite careless and leaves discs in all the time. His Wii is working just the same as mine.

I always leave discs in my consoles. On the lazy side of things, it's a pain in the ass to constantly be putting a disc in and taking it out of the console if I'm just going to put it back in the next day so I can continue playing it. Second, I didn't know it was bad to leave a disc in the console. I've done it with all of my consoles and I naturally continued the practice with the Wii. Of course, I didn't really read the manual for the Wii. I wonder if the same thing goes for the PS3.

You own a Wii and haven't played it for 2 weeks!! Why not?

Beat Zelda.

Am all 'bowled' out.

How long can I really play Elebits?

Any suggestions?

(I expect my Wii will be very idle until April when Disaster and Cookoff come out. Mario Galaxy is next Christmas from what I hear.)

I always leave discs in my consoles.

I don't move my consoles around so I leave discs in them, except the Wii if it's left in standby. If I turn the Wii off, I'll leave the disc in.

The Wii when in 'standby' (i.e. amber power light) is generating a whole lot of heat, and its cooling system isn't active.

Am all 'bowled' out.

Any suggestions?

• Have you considered picking up some used GameCube games? They're pretty cheap these days (actually, they were always pretty cheap) and can be had by the armloads. Of course, if you already had a GameCube and played all the greats (e.g. Metroid Prime, Echos, F-Zero GX, Mario Kart DD, Smash Bros. Melee, Strikers, etc.) then there's not too much else to do.
  • You could try picking up the $10 Donkey Kong Jungle Beat deal if Gamestop still has it.
  • There are also the Virtual Console games to take a look at. These provide plenty of entertainment at fairly low prices.
  • Taking Opera for a spin to Wiicade yeilds a bit of entertainment as well. Clash N Slash Worlds Away is particularly fun with the Wiimote, if not a bit short.
  • You could hit up Blockbuster (I know, I know) and rent other Wii titles like Red Steel, Rayman, Excite Truck, and Super Shots Golf.

See? Lots of stuff! ;)

I can't stand it when people leave games in a console. You should not leave a disc in any optical drive that remains powered (such as a HTiB, computer drive, or a console.) You can quickly wear an optical drive out that way. On the lazy side of things... come on! You could probably recover the energy it takes to put a game away by eating a Cheerio or two. The idea that it takes just too much effort to put a game away and take it back out when you want to play it again simply astounds me.

I can't stand it when people leave games in a console. You should not leave a disc in any optical drive that remains powered (such as a HTiB, computer drive, or a console.) You can quickly wear an optical drive out that way. On the lazy side of things... come on! You could probably recover the energy it takes to put a game away by eating a Cheerio or two. The idea that it takes just too much effort to put a game away and take it back out when you want to play it again simply astounds me.

Well, now that you have established not only your technical superiority but also your ability to expend energy and attend to small detail, I hope you feel better about yourself. I find it absurd that I would have to take a disc out of a console if I'm not done playing it. It seems like an anal retentive obsession that would add more wear and tear on the loading mechanism than anything else. I think it would be a safe bet that most people leave discs inside their consoles, computers, cd players, etc.

How much power is the unit drawing when in stand by?

I support the go Game Cube games suggestion until more, better suited to the Wii games come out. With the low price point and a heap of games we have not played before (did not own a Cube until this year) we have been using our Wii more as a Cube than a Wii.

I can't stand it when people leave games in a console. You should not leave a disc in any optical drive that remains powered (such as a HTiB, computer drive, or a console.) ...

Yes, but any modern console when powered off or in standy is not going to have power to the optical drive.

When a console is off it is a different story. These days consoles are being used for more then just games on individual media. Consoles are being used for downloaded content, communication, etc. I don't leave my consoles on but I have been at someones house and noticed that their console is sitting on with the television off and the disc in the drive simply because they were going to come back to the game later and would rather leave it on pause then have to turn the game on and load a save game later. Then they end up leaving it there for days. I have never had to buy a replacement to one of my consoles due to optical drive failure. I have a V1 XBox with a Thompson drive that is still kicking strong and I don't persoanlly know anyone that hasn't had to replace their Thompson drive.

Well, now that you have established not only your technical superiority but also your ability to expend energy and attend to small detail, I hope you feel better about yourself. I find it absurd that I would have to take a disc out of a console if I'm not done playing it. It seems like an anal retentive obsession that would add more wear and tear on the loading mechanism than anything else. I think it would be a safe bet that most people leave discs inside their consoles, computers, cd players, etc.

I am not trying to establish superiority. I though there was a conversation going on here. Sorry to have assumed that comments on the topic were welcome. I personally don't like leaving games in a console or seeing a game left in a console. This may speak to my organizational skills where I may be lacking in some area where you are not. It is not about superiority. It is about personal preference. I never said anyone here was wrong. I said I disagree with leaving games in consoles and I have reasons for feeling that way. Ultimately I like things to be in their place and when a console is not in use I feel like the game should be put away.

I had to comment on the idea that putting a game away and getting it out later is too much work because video gamers are already stereotyped as lazy. The idea that something as simple as putting the game away until you play it again later takes to much energy just reinforces that stereotype to an extreme degree.

I leave my disks in as well.

I hope the media isn't peeking in my window, I'd hate to be the one reinforcing the rumor that video gamers are lazy.

It must be one of those days here today. The safe areas of this place are going the way of the Jag forum. I was simply pointing out what I felt to be extreme laziness. If you guys don't like hearing that something demonstrates laziness then you might consider not doing it. If it dosn't bother you to know your being lazy then all the power to you.