IGNORED

Is the -bit argument defunct now?

thomasholzer

Not sure about that. It was a fairly limited system with appaling controllers and a styling that was at least 5 years out of date. It was definite competition for the 3DO, sure, but the PS1 and Saturn just left it standing.

I think Ridge Racer was the death knell for the Jaguar. The arcade finally came home and the war was won.

It was a fairly limited system with appaling controllers and a styling that was at least 5 years out of date.
Dang... I really like the Jaguar controllers; I find them very comfy to hold. For the first time a game console came with adult-sized controllers!

Not sure about that. It was a fairly limited system with appaling controllers and a styling that was at least 5 years out of date. It was definite competition for the 3DO, sure, but the PS1 and Saturn just left it standing.

I think Ridge Racer was the death knell for the Jaguar. The arcade finally came home and the war was won.

The controller argument I've never truly understood. Most people say that they hated them because of the size, but they are surprisingly close to a lot of controllers that came after it. Sure, Atari had the only controller with a number pad, and I can understand how some people might not like it, but it did work well for certain games like Iron Soldier and various FPS. In fact, there was a MUCH bigger uproar over the N64 controllers when those came out, and I think that arguing that they were worse is pretty easy (the analog joystick, which was used by everything is in the most uncomfortable position while the d-pad, which is barely used ever is on the right.) The controller could have easily been overcome... if the system had good games that people wanted to play.

It has been proven that if a console comes out with games they want to play that it doesn't matter if it is a little behind the times. Witness the power of the Xbox versus the PS2 where the same argument can be used -- the PS2 controller just wasn't as well equipped any more as a controller with analog triggers -- but the PS2 ultimately had the games that people wanted to play.

I never understood the dissing of the Jag's controllers. They were one of the first ergonomical controllers out there, and they were damn comfertable too. They also work forever. I still have the first controller in perfect condition for my Jag. (How many other systems of the time could say that?)

Sure, it's got the keypad, but the fact is most games don't use it. ANd the few that do, FPS, and such, use it very well.

And untill the X-Box come out, there hasn't been another controller that was as good IMO. The X-Box (original "Fatty") is the best controller today. Followed very closely by the 360 controllers. And just hold one of them up to the Jag's controller. Doesn't look so big now does it. And it's not any wider than the PS2 and Cube controllers either, for that matter.

Sure, it could have had an analog stick (and would have had Jaguar lived a while longer) But it didn't, and the fact is, it was made as competition to the SNES, Gennesis, and 3DO (?) And NONE of those have analog either.

So, as I said, I never understoold the dislike of the Jags controllers.