IGNORED

Best looking classic computers?

deadmeow

Huh? It's in 'classic gaming'... and the question posed was not "what is your favorite looking Atari branded computer" in a discrete Atari computer group :)

It would probably be a better fit for Classic Computing now that that option is available, but as I say, this thread predates that subforum.

Why is this suddenly in the wrong forum? :?

Cause it's a older thread, before the seperate Computer topic area was made. :)

I really enjoyed the 'all in one' aperence of the early computers, with the guts all packed into the keyboard. The C-64 holds a special place in my heart for that. But I also loved how my first home computer, the C-128D, looked. For it's time, it was amazing -- you had the disk drive built into the computer, the keyboard was seperate (and had a long cord), and the monitor could sit on top of it. Nothing special NOW, but back then I thought those features were way ahead of it's time.

In college I had a AST 486-33 PC and thought that was cool looking also. It was a 'mini desktop', going back to the style of older PC's (I bought it in 1995). The computer and monitor were one unit. To service, you just went to the back and 'slid out' a board that had all the parts on it, do your stuff, slide it back in. Easy!

I really enjoyed the 'all in one' appearance of the early computers, with the guts all packed into the keyboard.

So did I. I suppose it could be argued that, in a way, the "all-in-one" form factor has become the favorite again through the laptop/netbook: younger computer users in particular seem to prefer these smaller, highly integrated machines, which are much like the old all-in-ones except for the addition of the screen.

In the years after the Intel-based PC became the dominant standard (let's say around 1991 or so), the industry seemed to favor large, highly expandable, utilitarian computers that were designed for maximum customization and expandability. Remember those Baby-AT 486 computers that sold for $3000 new, with multiple floppy/CD-ROM/Zip/tape/hard disk drives mounted inside a huge beige tower? Part of the reason, I'm sure, was the fact that so many people who bought those all-in-one computers in the 80s ended up with machines that were totally obsolete within a few years; with rare exceptions, these machines could not be upgraded to the current generation of technology, while the towers could be. I've worked, for example, on PCs that had been upgraded from 286 to 386 to 486 to Pentium processors, and from DOS through Windows 98, all inside the same case and sometimes with the same keyboard/mouse/monitor as well. (If it weren't for the transition to the ATX form factor, I think some of those people would still be using those old cases.)

But when the PC became even more of a mass-marketed consumer item due to the popularity of the Internet, style and other aesthetic considerations became more important. So, as the technology allowed the hardware to be made smaller, it isn't surprising that the form factor evolved to make the computer itself as invisible and as disposable as possible.

I don't know if we'll see more zero-footprint desktops (like the "new Commodore" computer mentioned in another thread), which are a direct update of the 80s wedge-shaped desktop designs, but I do like the idea of getting a Mini-ITX computer that mounts on the back of the monitor or the underside of a desk.

Probably so. *Moved* Though I did leave a link in the original forum. ;)

Huh? It's in 'classic gaming'... and the question posed was not "what is your favorite looking Atari branded computer" in a discrete Atari computer group :)

It would probably be a better fit for Classic Computing now that that option is available, but as I say, this thread predates that subforum.

I don't have a pic, but I always thought the Commodore Plus/4 was a really slick-looking machine. Black streamlined case, white keys. Ahead of its time. The rest of the machine wasn't as well thought out though.

The Commodore B series machines weren't vaporware, but never caught on. You couldn't give them away for most of the 1980s. Very nice looking, but in 1982-83, who wanted a business computer that didn't run CP/M or MS-DOS? I remember Protecto Enterprises advertised the B-128 for years and years in the Commodore magazines. They bundled it with an 8050 dual drive, a monitor and I think a printer. My local Commodore users group bought one of those packages, mostly to get the 8050 drive (they were great for BBSs). After a few years they decided to sell the B-128, and as I recall it took a while for them to find someone to take it off their hands.

It's odd how their most popular machines were the most plain looking. The VIC-20, the original breadbox 64, and the Amiga 500 weren't ugly, but there wasn't anything distinctive or innovative about their appearance.

I always liked the Amiga 1000. Just like Workbench, the 1000's case was blocky and slick at the same time. =)

I also think the 800XL was pretty cool looking. Love the silver & black.

C64/Vic - while I love them - had the ugliest cases by far. Functional, but fugly.

Edited by BydoEmpire

I have several. My favorite is, without a doubt, the Atari XL line. Sleek, black and silver, with a very nice form and great keyboards. By far the best looking computers ever made.

I'm also quite partial to the design of the Apple IIc.

After those two, I'd probably say the TI-99 and XE line.

Never much cared for the commodores (look wise). I hate brown lol

I'm also quite partial to the design of the Apple IIc.

i'm a total fan of it .... i used to do a little basic programming on that one ... incredible design ... supercool option to directly connect it to your TV ...

I do like the design of the IIc/+, but for some reason i like the IIgs the best.

As for The all in one computers it has to be the Atari ST, followed by the C64

But out of them i still have to choose the IIgs, i don't know what it is about it (maybe the lip in front).

Edited by madmax2069

I find that my tastes tend to evolve over time.. So heres my current feelings on the matter:

#1 Kewlest looking machine of all time: AMIGA 500

2) ATARI XL series (they are all kewl)

3) ATARI XE/ST/STE/TT/FALCON styled machines..

4) AMIGA 3000, AMIGA 1000

5) C= 128 and C= 64C

FUGLY MACHINES:

All Commodore PET series

All Trash-80 series including the CO-CO

Apple III, LISA, and first gen MACs..

Coleco Adam

AMIGA 2000, AMIGA 4000, AMIGA 3000T.