IGNORED

Official Zaku Lynx Development Topic

TailChao

Can I sign up for one now? :)

Wow, that's looking amazing!

Eventually we will have a mailing list set up for potential customers. At that time, I'll certainly make a post about it here. :D

In the mean time, the French website Pockett.net has posted a preview write-up of Zaku, based on the author's experience with the game at the Retrogaming Connexion last month. AtariAge visitors from France may find it especially interesting...

Edited by Clean Larry

• 4 weeks later...
Guh! I totally forgot... happy birthday, TailChao! Hope it's not too late to wish you the best!

Thanks a bunch for the good wishes, Jess. I appreciate all of the positive comments in the thread too. Hopefully I'll have time to update the website soon with some more recent screenshots and links, work is piling up again...

• 5 months later...

Thank-you for your continued interest in and support of Zaku, everyone. We're very happy to have the opportunity to bring a great, new game to the Lynx - and to further reflect that, the Super Fighter Team website has today been expanded to include a brand new set of Zaku pages that are full of updated information and art assets.

Check it out @ www.zaku-lynx.com !

While you're there, we invite you to join our Zaku mailing list. This way, even if you don't have the chance to regularly visit the website for news and updates, you will still be informed as to the game's progress and, ultimately, when it will be available for purchase.

As always, your feedback is appreciated as we value the input of our customers and fans. Thanks for your attention.

Thank-you for your continued interest in and support of Zaku, everyone. We're very happy to have the opportunity to bring a great, new game to the Lynx - and to further reflect that, the Super Fighter Team website has today been expanded to include a brand new set of Zaku pages that are full of updated information and art assets.

While you're there, we invite you to join our Zaku mailing list. This way, even if you don't have the chance to regularly visit the website for news and updates, you will still be informed as to the game's progress and, ultimately, when it will be available for purchase.

As always, your feedback is appreciated as we value the input of our customers and fans. Thanks for your attention.

Are you going to put the video and playable demo back up?

I am signed up now for the mailing list. Let´s see what happens.

Are you going to put the video and playable demo back up?

At some point, there will be a video available, yes. And, the game will make playable appearances at any of the classic gaming venues that I personally attend. As for the playable demo? I can't speculate on that right now.

Thanks for your interest, everyone.

• 5 months later...

The lynx community really needs initiatives like this to keep the scene alive. This game is looking very impressive. As for other development, we have to make the threshold as low as possible for people joining in. Would you mind sharing some code bits that I would like to take a peek at like the drawing and scrolling code? prettymuch anything that interfaces with suzy would be welcome and very helpfull. If not, could you at least outline your strategy at tackling the drawing code? what decisions you made, and why? Keep up the great work.

A new video of Zaku was shown at the RGC 2008, as usual, people were impressed by the game !

Here we go with pics taken from the video, a nice selection of boss :)

http://www.pockett.net/news.php?id=3909

Thank you very much for the article, Pocket. I'm glad everyone enjoyed the video at RGC.

The lynx community really needs initiatives like this to keep the scene alive. This game is looking very impressive. As for other development, we have to make the threshold as low as possible for people joining in. Would you mind sharing some code bits that I would like to take a peek at like the drawing and scrolling code? prettymuch anything that interfaces with suzy would be welcome and very helpfull. If not, could you at least outline your strategy at tackling the drawing code? what decisions you made, and why? Keep up the great work.

Thanks for the positive complements.

I'm not sure what you mean about making the threshold lower. The official Epyx Lynx documentation has been available for years, and there's not much left to note about the hardware besides a few drawing bugs in Suzy, most of which are properly emulated in Handy. Several assembly and C examples for drawing sprites and generally working with the hardware are also available, so there's nothing about Suzy that's in the dark.

Since this is a commercial project, I cannot share any code. However, the decisions we've made with Zaku in terms of drawing aren't very different from those made by Lynx developers back in the early 90s. We're taking advantage of Suzy's sprite-linking and reloading capabilities to draw large amounts of graphics (such as backgrounds) with little overhead, and utilize the display world to simplify scrolling. In cases where we need more colors onscreen, such as Marine Zone and Thunder Zone, we utilize raster interrupts though the use of a line counter (by creating a "duplicate" HBlank timer and using it to clock another timer which interrupts the CPU when it empties out/passes by a certain number of lines). I hope it's not very disappointing to you, but there's not much new here programatically, only in application. I hope this has been helpful and informative.

I really have to look at the epyx documentation closely sometime. The whole suzy chip functions and driving that baby properly are really not clear in my head yet. I was already thinking of creating some gradients in the background by having 1 or two palette colors used exclusively for background graphics/gradients or something like animated water by cycling colors, and creating the gradient by changing the palette during the H-blank period after a certain number of lines. Im sure things will fall into place in my mind eventually. Great to see that you respond so quickly, and confirm some of my own thoughts. If I ever have any specific questions I'll drop you a line. Im sure I'll run into a few quircks once I start coding.

I saw the video at the RGC and... Wow...

I haven't play yet all homebrew releases, but for my opinion, only based on video not gameplay, Zaku is like Alpine Games in an other category, playing with top quality games from Atari era...

If the gameplay is as good as the video suggest, we have a future hit.

Great work, guys.

A new video of Zaku was shown at the RGC 2008, as usual, people were impressed by the game !

Here we go with pics taken from the video, a nice selection of boss :)

http://www.pockett.net/news.php?id=3909

Thank you very much for the article, Pocket. I'm glad everyone enjoyed the video at RGC.

No problem. After the video, I heard people asking "is this game running on a Lynx :ponder: ?"

:D

Would someone mind posting the link to the video?

I can't seem to find it!

The video they are referring to was created specifically for a one-time showing at this year's Retro-gaming Connexion in Congis-sur-Thérouanne, France. We will, however, be preparing a new video in the near future, to be released to the public.

Thank-you for your interest.

• 8 months later...