IGNORED

Link has a poor taste in friends...

Jess Ragan

It's been ten years since Ocarina of Time and its bossy, insistent fairy Navi, and I'm STILL questioning the kind of company Link keeps. From the greedy green goon Tingle to that cantankerous hat in The Minish Cap, Link's friends are a never-ending parade of intolerable bastards. And now that I've found Midna in Twilight Princess, I'm starting to think that she's the worst one of the bunch! Turn me into a dog and ride ME around the room like a circus pony, will you? Oh, Nintendo, why oh WHY won't you let me ram a sword down the throat of these mercilessly annoying pricks and prickettes?

JR

Tingle has always bugged me. Wasn't he first in Majora's Mask? And isn't he really a "person" pretending to be a fairy? He had ballons that helped him float in MM, if I recall, and his father was lamenting his sons decision to be a fairy.

Then in Wind Waker he was pretty much a greedy SOB. All that rupee collecting just so you could pay him... grrrr...

Oh, Nintendo, why oh WHY won't you let me ram a sword down the throat of these mercilessly annoying pricks and prickettes?

For the same reason they wouldn't let us shoot the dog from Duck Hunt way back when.

Actually Midna's not really all that bad. She's at least tolerable since she only physically manifests herself when you are a wolf, and you can keep her pretty much silenced while human.

But Tingle... now there's the Jar Jar Binks of the Zelda universe. He definitely wins first prize in the "Supporting Character In a Non-Supporting Role You'd Most Like to Kill, Mutilate, or In Any Other Way, Shape, or Form, Completely Destroy" category. :D

And to say that Nintendo doesn't encourage violence. ;)

I like the role of Midna. Especially in the beginning, she kind of takes advantage of Link and has a lot of attitude about it, very condescending.

He needs it too, because all of the great spirits are like "oh you have been chosen by the gods..." -- he'd get a big head.

What the game is really lacking is a good animation of the wolf shaking himself dry...

has anybody noticed the excessive gyration of the characters, in particular wolf-link. HOwl and take a look

Not sure if I know exactly what you're talking about, but he looks kind of unwolfish as he's swaying to the tune, head nodding and looking a little too pleased with his whole wolfly condition.

Random reference: my friend persuaded me to download "A Link to the Past"

SMALL SPOILER:

on entering that games alternate world, that Link becomes a bunny, which is said to reflect his innernature. Funny that the new Link is more wolfy and the old one more rabbity. Maybe they just thought that that the wolf had more action potential, but it would be funny if he became a Monty Python/Holy Grail vicious attacking rabbit with huge sharp gnarly teeth and....

Well, it's important to note that each Link is a different person. The cel-shaded Link from The Wind Waker is a distant descendant of the Link from the first game, as are the Ocarina and Twilight Princess Links.

It's ironic that the Wind Waker Link- the one the gamers had the most difficult time accepting- has had the most adventures, counting Wind Waker, Minish Cap, Four Swords Adventures (on both the N64 and Game Boy Advance), and soon the Phantom Hourglass.

JR

Yeah, I know we had a few Links.

Actually, I didn't know ANY of the Links were supposed to be the same damn guy. So the Wind Waker connection is a surprise to me. I remember the big surprise of Wind Waker... do you want to use some SPOILER space and describe how you know it goes w/ Minish Cap etc?

Actually, and this isn't meant to be a slam against Twilight Princess, the more I play the more I respect the design decision of Wind Waker. The fundamental game mechanic is so puzzley and old-school, that I think cartoonish and well-styled makes more sense than "as realistic as possible"

No spoilers... I just assumed that Four Swords Adventures and The Minish Cap are the further adventures of Wind Waker Link. When Nintendo moves on to a new Link, they typically change his design to distinguish him from the previous ones... and Link didn't change a bit in the transition from Wind Waker to Four Swords and Minish Cap. I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time!) but I'm quite certain that the same Link stars in all three games.

JR