IGNORED

The old sticker-switcharoni trick

deadmeow

I remember in the late 80's when Intellivision saw its rebirth, I was probably about 16 or so, I bought Super Pro Football, which was an incredible game. Anyway I switched the labels on Super Pro Football, and the standard old pack in crap game Poker & Blackjack. I returned the Poker & Black Jack game with the Super Pro Football sticker on it, and got like $45 back at Toys R Us.

I can just imagine the next person who bought that Super Pro Football game at Toys R Us, only to see Poker & Blackjack pop up on their TV screen! What a laugh that would have been. And then their trip back to Toys R Us "yeah someone switched the stickers on the game cartridge" ..... Toy R Us was always infamous for selling damaged used/returned merchandise as "new".

A friend of mine returned like 5,6 a whole bunch games for another system after switching stickers after I told him about my trick. Shortly after, Toys R Us changed their return policy.

Edited by deadmeow

So, that . . . was . . . YOU?!!!!!!!

Just kidding. :P

A friend of mine did almost the same thing with PC games. He'd go to Target, buy a game, copy it, then return it, saying that it didn't work on his system. They never questioned, since these newfangled home computers were so mystifying to so many. I think he bought ten games with the same twenty bucks.

So, that . . . was . . . YOU?!!!!!!!

Just kidding. :P

A friend of mine did almost the same thing with PC games. He'd go to Target, buy a game, copy it, then return it, saying that it didn't work on his system. They never questioned, since these newfangled home computers were so mystifying to so many. I think he bought ten games with the same twenty bucks.

LOL :D Yeah, Target should have been suspicious when he bought the game, and the CDR's at the same time :P

I remember in the late 80's when Intellivision saw its rebirth, I was probably about 16 or so, I bought Super Pro Football, which was an incredible game. Anyway I switched the labels on Super Pro Football, and the standard old pack in crap game Poker & Blackjack. I returned the Poker & Black Jack game with the Super Pro Football sticker on it, and got like $45 back at Toys R Us.

And you're proud of this why? :?

Tempest

And you're proud of this why? :?

Tempest

exactly what i was wondering :?

Its about as nice as some of the other people who brag about ripping off Goodwill......

Seriously. I thought we learned from the last thread that if you're going to rip a store off, don't come on AA and brag about it. No one here is impressed that you're a wannabe petty thief. The fact that this occurred about 20 years ago and you're still bragging about it raises more questions... :ponder:

Tempest

On the other end of the spectrum...

I've got a Master System football game in a Hang-On/Safari Hunt cart.

Not that it matters. I have no light gun, also have Hang-on/AstroWarrior, and don't care about football.

On the other end of the spectrum...

I've got a Master System football game in a Hang-On/Safari Hunt cart.

Not that it matters. I have no light gun, also have Hang-on/AstroWarrior, and don't care about football.

I've heard of a few SMS cart/label mismatches. Poor quality control I suppose.

Tempest

LOL :D Yeah, Target should have been suspicious when he bought the game, and the CDR's at the same time :P

What are these 'CDRs' of which you speak? He was copying them onto 5.25" floppy disks. :P

That, and, no worries... He's been on the straight and narrow for a long while, now :cool:

This label or game switching is always funny till it happens to YOU!not a personal attack,but,its the next person who buys it that looks bad returning it,which has happened to me a couple of times,with games and other items,and NO, i dont see any humour in it at all,people who do those things should have their balls or mammarie glands wrapped around a slamming door.

Edited by Rik

"I have an old Apple, and this IIGS game didn't work on my computer."

A friend of mine used that line on Babbage's a few times. Alas, then he began moving sale tags at the music store, and then started outright shoplifting. Around that time he drifted into a bad crowd and we grew apart.

Another friend of mine once sat down at the demo PC in that store, pulled out a floppy disk, and copied a game he liked right in front of the checkout counter. That one was pretty funny, and he only did it once.

I haven't been victimized by label switching, but I did end up with a used copy of Final Fantasy II that was sold to me as new from that same Babbage's store. Somebody played 10 hours into the game before returning it, and the manual was worn.

Relax people. I'm not under the impression the OP is "bragging" about petty theft, but rather relating a somewhat amusing story of something he did when he was young and foolish.

What, you never did anything bad when you were a kid?

Relax people. I'm not under the impression the OP is "bragging" about petty theft, but rather relating a somewhat amusing story of something he did when he was young and foolish.

Of course,no one was a saint,but that sort of thing happens today all the time,not a personal,attack on the poster,on my part,anyway,as we've all done stupid things.Just something that brought back unpleasant memories when i was the victim of the"ole switcheroo trick"Pranks are part of being a kid,yeah,can be funny,until like i said"until you're the victim of the prank or trick,its NOT SO FUNNY AT TIMES"just a view from the other side.

Edited by Rik

It's not amusing, that's the point. I'm not exactly sure what the OP was expecting to hear from the AA community. Good job? Wow you were cool? OMG I did that too, awesome? Sorry, but if you did something that stupid don't come on AA and brag about it. If you do you're going to get a cool reception.

Nothing that would count as theft or fraud. Sorry to disappoint.

Tempest

I purchased a standalone Duck Hunt cart one day. Imagine my surprise when I booted it in my NES and the words "Base Ball" appeared on the screen. Not to be discouraged, I took the nice cart case from it and installed the board from my ratty but real Duck Hunt into that.

A couple of months later the folks at the store I got that cart from were talking about that particular cart. They had been looking around the store and could not find it anywhere. I walked in and mentioned "this cart I bought here a while back" and suddenly their lost cart was found! I'm one of the regular customers, so I really didn't mind having the Baseball game. It cost me $2 and I have my Duck Hunt anyway.

I still have the Duck Ball/Base Hunt cart in my closet, but its lockout chip is loose for some odd reason...:ponder:

He's just laughing about stupid shit we do when we're young. Here's a great one.

Like 17 years ago, there was this bully kid (a girl) and she'd always beat me up and shit. We'd try to tell her parents and they'd tell us to "go away" and to leave their daughter alone.

So one night when we were like 7, 8 years old, we egged their brand new 1990 Cadillac DeVille 2 door model. It left an oxidation spot on the trunk. So how is this funny?

I now own that car 17 years later (great car too). Shows that stupid shit can bite you in the ass even 17 years later

Of course we've all done stupid shit as kids....drunk driving, stoned driving, yeah, I did a lot of that. But you know what? I never stole anything. If you've ever been the victim of a theft, it truly sucks.....I'll never forget the time I walked into my garage with my pads and helmet on, and there was no Hutch Trick Star to ride, because some punkass kid stole it. I'm sure if there's a Hutch Bike site out there, he's bragging about how he got his Trick Star....I thought it sucked.....

Deadmeow's past behavior is vile discusting and evil. i demand that he crawls naked back to that toy's r us with 2 twentys stuck in his ears publicly apologize for this atrocity that he has perpetrated on this poor defenceless billion dollar conglomerate.

{check prior text for irony}

a kid stole a game 20 years ago, he didn't kill anyone or do anything which might put someone at risk (like drive drunk you freak).

it's a little silly to post about it, but hell it's a silly world.

Edited by raskar42

like drive drunk you freak

Yeah I'm not sure I would have posted that either...

Point is, if you're going to do something stupid like steal something or commit fraud, don't come on AA and brag about. Just keep it to yourself.

Tempest

like drive drunk you freak

Yeah I'm not sure I would have posted that either...

Point is, if you're going to do something stupid like steal something or commit fraud, don't come on AA and brag about. Just keep it to yourself.

Tempest

The point was obviously lost. What I did was risky, but ultimately no one got hurt. The original poster thought that since he didn't get caught, no harm done. But what he did was still stealing, which always harms someone, if only economically. The difference is that I was risking harm, and he actually committed it.

Both are dumb, and I guess you can learn from it. If you want to be all self-righteous about drunk-driving, fine. I was making a point.

I bought Turok for my GBA (DON'T ASK ME WHY :? ) At WalMart a while ago and I got home opened it up and...Suprise!! NO GAME AT ALL!!

That was suprisingly hard to convince the Wal Mart return department that there was no game at all, I almost just gave up. It was only 10 bucks but I still felt I deserved a game. They finally refunded me but it took forever, I would have made more and had more fun if I would have just went to work at my job for an hour :D