IGNORED

830 modem and Bluetooth/Cell?

charliecron

Pretty cool but...

ARGH! Why does everything have to come with those stupid over-bright blue LEDs?

No reason it shouldn't work with an 830, but even if you find a dialup BBS or a UNIX box with dialup shell access, I doubt you'd be allowed to connect at 300 baud. I remember having to spend money I couldn't afford to upgrade to an SX212, because the local boards all started refusing 300 baud connections. (I wanted a faster modem anyway, so it was mainly just a good excuse to spend the money)

Hahaha. :D

Now we just need to add a battery to the 830 to make it portable, connect it to the hacked portable 8bit laptop (http://www.benheck.com/Games/Atari_800/Ata...0_laptop2_1.htm), buy this "retro" blue-tooth handset, and...

use your cell-phone to check the BBSes or play a friend at a modem-game anywhere...

:cool:

OK, so I received my handset today! I ended up ordering the one with the cord, I figured hey if I'm ordering a classic handset, I want the cord.

I've also got a pack of flash carts from atarimax on the way, hopefully I can get telelink 1 burned on one somehow..

Who am I gonna call? Who knows maybe one of you! Maybe we can get a game of Jellybeabs going?

I also need a power supply for my 830, so it will be a while, but I'll post if I can get a connection...

• 4 weeks later...

You should do an old-school James Bond style Breifcase with battery power and put an 8-bit and LCD screen and the 830&retro bluetooth handset all in it. Then you could walk aroung the park in a trench coat, old-school style hat and Blues Brother's style glasses, sit down on a bench and open it up and play some Jellybeans. Reminds me of some B rate 80's spy movie.

Edited by Gunstar

You should do an old-school James Bond style Breifcase with battery power and put an 8-bit and LCD screen and the 830&retro bluetooth handset all in it. Then you could walk aroung the park in a trench coat, old-school style hat and Blues Brother's style glasses, sit down on a bench and open it up and play some Jellybeans. Reminds me of some B rate 80's spy movie.

Or most of the "Sci-Fi Originals" on Sci-Fi..... They are like Sub-B

Somewhere I have one of the old MPP-1000 joystick port modems- If you used the MPP software you could vary the baud rate until it puke (between two MPPs of course), so we'd get connects at like "490 baud". Ahhh, early overclocking.

Or most of the "Sci-Fi Originals" on Sci-Fi..... They are like Sub-B

Somewhere I have one of the old MPP-1000 joystick port modems- If you used the MPP software you could vary the baud rate until it puke (between two MPPs of course), so we'd get connects at like "490 baud". Ahhh, early overclocking.

I had a couple of those too. My first BBS back in 1984 ran on a 1000e. I had to devise a relay that was actuated from the other joystick port just to disconnect callers from the BBS as the 1000e would not drop carrier like the older 1000c would. But it was fun modifying the old MPP-AMIS BBS program (Atari Basic) so that other MPP callers could connect at 450 baud.

Ahh.. the good old days!

So who's gonna write the new Telelink 2000 edition

CUrt

My crazy plan in starting to come together!

muhahaha!

And what about 830 modems? Do any of the dealers still carry them? Even The Best Electronics catalog doesn't list it. They have everything else for the three, 800, XL and XE computer lines BUT the 830! B&C doesn't have it listed either...these things seem to be pretty rare.

And what about 830 modems? Do any of the dealers still carry them? Even The Best Electronics catalog doesn't list it. They have everything else for the three, 800, XL and XE computer lines BUT the 830! B&C doesn't have it listed either...these things seem to be pretty rare.

I would not say rare. I have seen at least 3 in the past year and nobody bids on them. So, they come up seldomly because of it. If it was commanding prices of 100+ or even 50+ consistently, you would probably find that everybody and his grandmother pulling it out of their closet. It really has not use other than display value at this time. I have not picked on up. I am still waiting on a lot that contains it for cheap and space it still limited so no need for display.

Yeah they are easy to get but you gotta look out for em. I decided I wanted one, and it didnt take long (a couple months) for one to show up on ebay. I don't remember exactly how much I paid, but it wasnt cheap. I think there was even a sort of bidding war going on for a bit. I'm pretty sure it went over $50.00, now that isnt much money I know, but it did not come with a power supply, box, cart, or manual, just the plain 830.

I remember a nice auction for a complete package out of Australia. I guess it had a different finish plastic, a sort of textured finish, not like the plain plastic one I have. That model is supposed to be pretty rare.

Charlie

So who's gonna write the new Telelink 2000 edition

CUrt

My crazy plan in starting to come together!

muhahaha!

With the right amplifier, I wonder if it would be possible to build something that could acoustically couple a cell phone to a modem using the hands free headset jack. Hmmm, I will have to think about that.