IGNORED

Cannon Fodder Overlay

EmOneGarand

Hey everybody, made this a couple months ago and thought I'd share it. I know the game doesn't really need it but what the hell, it was fun to make :P
Cool! Do you have any more? I bet we'd all like to see them...

I've only made overlays for games I have that don't have an official one and use the keypad, I just got Towers II so I may have to see about making one for that, now that I think of it.. Dragon uses the keypad for a few things I should look into making one for that one as well.

Edited by EmOneGarand

I bought some overlays some years back from some website that a guy made for a bunch of games. They are actually pretty nice and I still have them. They are

Atari Karts

Towers II

Skyhammer

2 Worms

2 Missle Command 3Ds (one for virtual and one for normal mode I think)

Air Cars

Theme Park

Tempest 2000

Zero 5

2 Syndicates

Iron Soldier 2

World Tour Racing

A Black Jaguar 64 Bit I guess dust protector label.

If I can ever get a scanner hooked up in here I will post some images if anyone is interested in seeing them. I don't know if the guy ever started selling them again. No, they are not for sale :)

Edited by The Helper

I bought some overlays some years back from some website that a guy made for a bunch of games. They are actually pretty nice and I still have them. They are

Atari Karts

Towers II

Skyhammer

2 Worms

Air Cars

Theme Park

Tempest 2000

Zero 5

2 Syndicates

Iron Soldier 2

World Tour Racing

If I can ever get a scanner hooked up in here I will post some images if anyone is interested in seeing them. I don't know if the guy ever started selling them again. No, they are not for sale :)

This place? http://www.1632-sales.zenwebhosting.com/ac...e_Overlays.html Shows all the obscure ones you mentioned.. too bad it's a european seller.. I don't like the exchange rates particularly...

I don't think that was the place. I got mine from an individual. My overlays are way different then those offered there. It could be the same people and maybe they have changed them since then. My star overlay was Battlesphere but I decided that when I sold the game that I should give the overlay with it since I wanted to give it the possibility of use.

Atari Karts

Towers II

Skyhammer

2 Worms

Air Cars

Theme Park

Tempest 2000

Zero 5

2 Syndicates

Iron Soldier 2

World Tour Racing

This place? http://www.1632-sales.zenwebhosting.com/ac...e_Overlays.html Shows all the obscure ones you mentioned.. too bad it's a european seller.. I don't like the exchange rates particularly...

just did a Towers II overlay, I took artistic license with this one, making it look like a piece of parchment with inked writing and drawings.. kinda like a map I guess. I could do a legacy style one as well I guess.

Really nice.

What are you all using for printing this stuff out? Card stock? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm thinking about printing a few... especially the two above as long as its okay by the maker! :)

I print overlays out on a colour laserjet with regular paper, then place strips of wide clear cellophane tape over both sides to 'laminate' them. I then take an Exacto-type scalpel and cut them out. These work fairly well if you print them in the correct size...

Wow - that's really great looking.

Yeah, if only I had the means to print these out and not have them be flimsy pieces of paper :P

I know 16/32 carries some overlays created by another guy, but I can't remember his name.

Maybe it would be cool to get in contact with him and we could get them made along with the other ones he has done... maybe you could even get a small profit from them?

Nice job! Although your Space War 2000 overlays call the game "Space Wars 2000"...

For those of you who want better quality homemade overlays, I heard of a good way to make them a while back. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but it seems like it would work: Get yourself some inkjet transparencies to print them on... use a paint program to flip the image though so that it's visible through the shiny side of the transparency. Then spray the back of the transparency with white spray paint. This should result in something that closely resembles the original overlays, depending of course on the quality of the original image you used.

I haven't thought of a good way to actually get the "bumps" on the buttons though...

--Zero

Wow - that's really great looking.

Yeah, if only I had the means to print these out and not have them be flimsy pieces of paper :P

I know 16/32 carries some overlays created by another guy, but I can't remember his name.

Maybe it would be cool to get in contact with him and we could get them made along with the other ones he has done... maybe you could even get a small profit from them?

That would be me.

Print them on photopaper, its thicker than regular paper and more flexable than card then do something to protect the surface from ware and tear. Whatever method you decide to use watch out for it effecting the colour/colour bleeding after a while.

Get yourself some inkjet transparencies to print them on... use a paint program to flip the image though so that it's visible through the shiny side of the transparency. Then spray the back of the transparency with white spray paint. This should result in something that closely resembles the original overlays, depending of course on the quality of the original image you used.

I haven't thought of a good way to actually get the "bumps" on the buttons though...

I don't think transparancies will be thick enough and as for spraying them you would need to use a white background which I don't think will look as good and there may be a problem with the paint either melting the transparency or flaking as the overlay is flexed getting it in and out of the controller.

As for creating the bumps compressing the overlay between a positive and negative blocks may do it but you have to machine the blocks and allow for the change in shape/size when printing.

I think the originals were probably moulded to shape first then printed.

• 7 years later...