IGNORED

Proud owner of a 5200!

King Atari

Well, I can now proudly say that I'm the new owner of a 5200! And not just any 5200, the original 4-port version! Hurrah! It set me back $15, but it was worth it. It came with two controllers and all the hookups. I don't know if it works yet, as I don't have any games for it, but it's in excellent condition. Either way, it's a 5200. I had saw it at the thrift the other day, but only had the money today, and when I went back, I thought it was gone, as someone had obviously flipped it over and put the back facing out. But, a bit of closer research revealed the system, and I proudly carried it to the front desk, and said triumphantly in my head "Losers!".

Just wanted to share my new find with you, 5200 experts!

eh? 4 ports are better than 2 ports, Jet Boot? I own both but why do you say that -- they are the same machine, what's better about one or the other?

Growing up I had a 2-port, perhaps that is why I prefer them to the 4-port version. But being able to use the same switchbox for my 7800 and 5200 makes switching between consoles a lot easier.

Perhaps jetboot prefers the 4-port because it has the automatic switching box. But that only works on the 4-port 5200.

The game compatability issues of the 2-ports shouldn't be much of an issue, as that can be 'fixed' as well; see Mitch's post to "4 port bios project" thread.

The important thing is that you now have a 5200. What are you waiting for? Get some games! :D

I gotta find time to go thrifting today to look for some games. The thrift right next to the one I got the 5200 used to have three of them (Centipede, Dig Dug, Star Raiders). I didn't see them there, but then, I was only looking for 2600 games. Before that, they had an impressive stack, but that was months ago.

I like the 4-port better. I like the shiny surface better and mine isn't scratched. I just love the way it looks all shiny (I keep it well buffed) and I've never used all four ports, but it's nice to know it's there and the whole unit just seems to be of a higher quality to me...I like the auto switchbox and the power plugging into it with just one chord going to the unit. The four port RULES!

There's a thrift whop near me that has about a dozen 5200 games for $2 bucks a piece, loose. I already have the titles so I'm not interested. I know there's a SpaceDungeon and SuperBreakout, Pac-Man, CounterMeasure, Kangaroo, maybe Pengo, and a few others, like 10 or 12. If your interested, I could pick them up in a couple weeks and charge you cost+shipping. They'll be there in a couple weeks...they've been there for months except for the few I bought.

The 4 port has that shiny surface that picks up dust and fingerprints and looks cheaper (in my opinion).

Actually, I have a 4port WIHOUT the shiny surface. Use this as my main 5200 machine. I have 7 :) Found them all at Thrifts within about 3 weeks of each other.

I also prefer the 4 port. I'll admit the 2 port is better looking. :wink:

I love the single wire to the console. You can even use a female-female adapter and another RCA cable to make it longer. (I have a 3 foot "high" quality gold radio shack wire on mine.)

I keep my 4 port (shiny black USA type) under the TV in the TV stand. SO i have to pull it out and place it on the floor to play. The single wire makes it so nice and easy to manage. Iv'e also done the mod to let it use the VCS adaptor so the system doubles as my primary 2600 unit. :-)

And the number one reason the 4 port is better....... No static noise from the TV between switching games. :)

Charlie

If your interested, I could pick them up in a couple weeks and charge you cost+shipping.

I would sale these 4 for $5 plus shipping if you're interested let me know.

Thanks for the offers, guys, I'll keep them in mind, but I can't do it right now. Just plain out broke (again), trades, ebay, and the like. But again, thanks.

Here's my 10 cents (cause my 2 cents is free). I own both also but I don't get to play them much. They may need a good cleaning after that "roach incident" a while back too. But I will say the two port has the ease of hook up. My 4 port switchbox sometimes doesn't get plugged in to the switchbox all the way and "snaps on and off." But the two port will also not play certain games (can never remember which ones). So it's a toss up as far as I'm concerned. I'm glad I got both. I just hate those controllers though.

yknow.. I got 3 5200's and I have no idea how many ports they got..

Actually I lied. hmm I remember my ORIGINAL one (the one my mommy bought me) had 4 ports because I remember checking this out as a kid.. :P

But I have no idea what the others are ;)

You know what, upon further investigation one of my controllers seems to reposition! It won't reposition when it's moved up, but move it the other ways, and it will go back to the middle. This is an Atari make, too. Is this a late release, there something wrong with it, or what?

@freedom fighter

I had a couple 4 port switch boxes that did the same thing.

What happens is the metal for the ground inside the hole for the power adaptor gets a little rusty. This bad connection causes it to make contact on and off.

Take a small file, like the little one on a nail clipper and clean the ground connection inside the hole for the power adaptor.

Charlie