IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 43: Pharaoh's Curse

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

The year is 1922. An excavation of a little-explored region of Egypt has uncovered the secret tomb of a lost Pharaoh: Dig-Dughamen. As you dig through the long-buried catacombs, you realize that the tomb has a curse on it! Snakes and insects begin to attack you from all sides. Can you survive long enough to uncover the Pharaoh's hidden treasure? Or did ancient tomb robbers already beat you to it? Armed with only a shovel and a fully-automatic machine gun, it's you against the desert sands and the Pharaoh's endless supply of vengeful minions. Can you survive... The Pharaoh's Curse?

Game Information

• Game Name: Pharaoh's Curse
  • Released By: Technovision, (Date Unknown)
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: Goochman

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, March 1st at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 99,990 (Rom Hunter) [+11]
  2. 69,640 (Crazy Climber) [+10]
  3. 26,380 (rheffera) [+9]
  4. 25,340 (jonfin826) [+8]
  5. 16,470 (vdub_bobby) [+7]
  6. 16,030 (ewing92) [+6]
  7. 15,530 (Nathan Strum) [+5]
  8. 15,440 (SpiceWare) [+4]
  9. 14,600 (MickG) [+3]
  10. 13,330 (LarcenTyler) [+2]
  11. 12,770 (johnnywc) [+1]
  12. 10,470 (mightymage) [+1]
  13. 9420 (Goochman) [+1]

Best Tips

• Nathan Strum [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Write an exciting intro for this game and get 1 bonus point!
      Nathan Strum [+1]

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  1. No scores listed!

Current Standings

1. Rom Hunter [444]
  2. SpiceWare [318]
  3. Deteacher [271]
  4. keilbaca [175]
  5. LarcenTyler [164]
  6. vdub_bobby [151]
  7. rheffera [119]
  8. scogey [90]
  9. the 5th ghost [87]
  10. Goochman [87]
  11. Nathan Strum [81]
  12. JacobZu7zu7 [80]
  13. BrianC [78]
  14. Cybergoth [73]
  15. shadow460 [72]
  16. shawnb [71]
  17. Christophero Sly [70]
  18. atari2600land [70]
  19. Malc74 [63]
  20. Zoyx [49]
  21. Recycled [46]
  22. johnnywc [43]
  23. theKLT [37]
  24. SeaGtGruff [36]
  25. 128bytes [34]
  26. Jred [26]
  27. doctorclu [22]
  28. phaxda [21]
  • Captain Beard [20]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • RJ [19]
  • mojofltr [17]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • rjchamp3 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • Crazy Climber [11]
  • Shannon [11]
  • accousticguitar [10]
  • ewing92 [9]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • Shroo-man [6]
  • MickG [6]
  • LS_Dracon [6]
  • supercat [5]
  • Mindcircus [5]
  • madbutscher [4]
  • Biter [2]
  • jonfin826 [2]
  • D. Yancey [2]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • fire!fire! [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]
  • mightymage [1]

Scoring Points in Pharaoh's Curse

• Unknown!

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. Unfortunately, AtariAge does not have a manual for this game online.
There is no limit to how many bugs and snakes come out per wave, apparently. I didn't see any point in trying to drop the squares on them. It's easier to stand there and shoot them. Even if you do kill them by dropping squares on them, the wave doesn't end. Apparently, the goal is to dig out the entire screen. Doing so nets you some bonus points. It's as if someone tried to rip off Dig Dug, without actually playing it.

Bugs and snakes are 100 points each. Digging vertically nets you 20 points, digging horizontally gives you 10. You don't seem to ever earn an extra life.

The enemies move slower through dirt, and if they're in the dirt, will only come towards you if they are right above or below you, otherwise they just move back and forth. Once they're in a tunnel, they'll usually come right after you.

The first enemies are slow, so you can easily clear out the first screen, just by keeping dirt between them and you. If you kill them, however, faster enemies will appear. If you can avoid digging tunnels near the enemies, you can keep them at bay longer.

Keep moving back and forth. If you do, they won't move towards you while they're in the dirt (it's only if you pause in line with them that they'll come at you). This is especially effective if they're both at the bottom of the screen. You can dig out the screen right up to the bottom level without them coming after you. If you can get them into the dirt and keep them moving back and forth in it, you can clear out most of the level that way.

When you shoot an enemy, don't be near the sides of the screen. The next one will likely come out right on top of you and kill you.

--Ze_ro

Another Exciting™ Intro:

The year is 1922. An excavation of a little-explored region of Egypt has uncovered the secret tomb of a lost Pharaoh: Dig-Dughamen. As you dig through the long-buried catacombs, you realize that the tomb has a curse on it! Snakes and insects begin to attack you from all sides. Can you survive long enough to uncover the Pharaoh's hidden treasure? Or did ancient tomb robbers already beat you to it? Armed with only a shovel and a fully-automatic machine gun, it's you against the desert sands and the Pharaoh's endless supply of vengeful minions. Can you survive... The Pharaoh's Curse?

Well, I hate to do this...

post-2641-1172133207_thumb.jpg

The game rolls at 99,990.

I'm pretty sure this counts as taking unfair advantage of really, really bad programming. If so, disregard my score. But here are my tips:

Dig a horizontal tunnel, running most of the width of the screen.

Stand in the middle of it, and shoot bugs and snakes until you get tired, or have to scratch your nose, or whatever. Don't touch the dying bugs or snakes, because they're fatal until they disappear entirely.

There is no limit to how many bugs and snakes come out per wave, apparently. I didn't see any point in trying to drop the squares on them. It's easier to stand there and shoot them. Even if you do kill them by dropping squares on them, the wave doesn't end. Apparently, the goal is to dig out the entire screen. Doing so nets you some bonus points. It's as if someone tried to rip off Dig Dug, without actually playing it.

Bugs and snakes are 100 points each. Digging vertically nets you 20 points, digging horizontally gives you 10. You don't seem to ever earn an extra life.

The enemies move slower through dirt, and if they're in the dirt, will only come towards you if they are right above or below you, otherwise they just move back and forth. Once they're in a tunnel, they'll usually come right after you.

The first enemies are slow, so you can easily clear out the first screen, just by keeping dirt between them and you. If you kill them, however, faster enemies will appear. If you can avoid digging tunnels near the enemies, you can keep them at bay longer.

A couple more tips (when actually playing)...

Keep moving back and forth. If you do, they won't move towards you while they're in the dirt (it's only if you pause in line with them that they'll come at you). This is especially effective if they're both at the bottom of the screen. You can dig out the screen right up to the bottom level without them coming after you. If you can get them into the dirt and keep them moving back and forth in it, you can clear out most of the level that way.

When you shoot an enemy, don't be near the sides of the screen. The next one will likely come out right on top of you and kill you.

Edited by Nathan Strum

I only got to play for about 30 minutes but I can tell already I will be rolling the score :) I'm going to hammer at it on Saturday. This could have been a better game I think if a little more time was spent on it :) Kind of a shitty Dig Dug clone. It's kind of funny I've actually owned this game for quite a while but I just tested it and put it on my shelf :D I really hate how the snakes/spiders can still kill you for a second or two even after you kill them :x

I'm pretty sure this counts as taking unfair advantage of really, really bad programming. If so, disregard my score.

Well, there is a rule against "point scumming"... basically, if you're not actually progressing in the game (in this case, digging out the level), then you're cheating in a way. It's unfortunate that they made it so easy to do in this game, as it could have actually been a really fun game if there was more actual purpose to it.

--Zero

Alright, this is my first try at something like this so go easy on me guys :) Also please excuse any spelling mistakes, it's not one of my strong points :D

My Intro...

World War has once again brought man back to a primitive state. The world has suffered a great tradgedy and we are the ones to blame. Those who are left must dig way below the earth to survive for the war is not over. You are Ceaser Juminez, an explorer who has traveled great lenghts to reach the safety of the ancient ruins of egypt. They are one of the few landmarks that have survived the war. You have heard there is a refuge of survivers that have created a habitat to live in....you also have heard that your son may be one of them. When you arrive you find that reaching it is more than you have bargined for, the radiation has turned several once harmless creatures into raving mad flesh eating monsters.....the Pharaoh's Curse awaits....can you defeat it.........

Good? Decent? Horrible?

yeah, i got it from here after i yahoo'd it, the other one didn't work for me either.

http://www.romnation.net/srv/download/rom/...s-Jentzsch.html

i will post my score after i play it a little longer, first try ever was 8,360 so i will post a better score soon.

New Score:15,260

fuck this stupid piece of shit game, it can suck my balls

Edited by ewing92

I'm pretty sure this counts as taking unfair advantage of really, really bad programming. If so, disregard my score.

Well, there is a rule against "point scumming"... basically, if you're not actually progressing in the game (in this case, digging out the level), then you're cheating in a way. It's unfortunate that they made it so easy to do in this game, as it could have actually been a really fun game if there was more actual purpose to it.

I figured as much. I'll give it another shot then, and actually try to clear the levels off. ;)

First Try - but there's more to come. The game is even more competing if you try not to use the point scoring hints. Shame cheating that easy in this game! Would have been a nice Dig Dug clone, despite of the poor graphics... ;)

I played the NTSC ROM on Stella and yes - the screen jumps sometimes. Btw - clearing a level seems to be rewarded with 5,000 bonus points! :)

post-12442-1172215155_thumb.png

Edited by MickG