5-11under

Boxed or not?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you purchase?

• No box for $20 including shipping
    • With box for $28 including shipping
    • None of the above

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

That depends on an individuals taste and budget. One person's decision is another one's opinion.

Not everyone can afford to buy games at anything much over $10-$15 these days esspecially when they are several 'must have' homebrew games available already.

That pretty much makes the decision for most IMHO.

However, there are the "collecters" who would definately buy a new boxed game at that price range even in the $30-$35 level.

If you were to release two versions of the same game (boxed & loose), I believe the loose ones will outsell the boxed by a large margin. Unless the game is exceptionally brilliant and secondly the artwork on the printed box were just as wonderful that it can influence sales. I personally would buy a boxed game if that were the case and I can't spend alot so I'd have to be very selective.

Boxes is still an option though and very expensive to print in small runs.

The real problem here is supply and demand and how much of a risk in quantity the game maker is willing to take.

Depending on who the hombrewer is targeting, they really need to have a product everybody wants. It's not just a box the buyer is paying for: it's the quality of the product in the box that has to be worthy of it. Presentaion sells but homebrewers rely more on reputation and word of mouth because most can't afford to box their games though I'm sure they do desired it as much as the serious collector.

I would think if every homebrew in the AA store were boxed there would be more buyers from outside the AA community. The hombrews would be forced to be much more competetive and costly as well and that can take the fun out of homebrewing. It's really a pastime not a buissness.

I feel the bottom line is this: If gamers want a boxed homebrew of a certain title they MUST be willing to pay the extra cost for a boxed version of that particular game. For anyone to just agree that boxed homebrews are the way to go without intention to buy, does not help a homebrewer. And if they are willing to buy? okay. Which homebrew? This is where people need to be selective with their support to the homebrewer in question.

If there is a demand for a box of a certain title it must come from buyers willing to accomodate for it. We can't expect homebrewers to shell out at their own risk to gratify a small number.There must be enough pre-orders at a certain price with paitent waiting for this to happen to even just ONE homebrew title that's that GOOD without the author taking any financal risk as their not making a living with their hobby.

Got a favorite homebrew you'ed seriously like to own a boxed copy of?

It comes down to: "Which homebrew title are you willing to buy boxed at *fill in the blank* price?

Actually, the "box" I'm pricing is a VHS case, like some of the (other) CV homebrews, and made of plastic, not cardboard. Assuming I one day get things completed, I'll be adding a foam insert to hold the game, and a cover that slides under the outside sleeve. The majority of the cost, however, will be shipping (from Canada), because with a loose cart, I could get away with about $1-2 postage, where a case would cost about $5-7.

Don't let this influence your vote, though... I wrote "box" to be more generic, so people would assume the box is cardboard, just like most 2600 games. I'll review the data afterward based on some of the responses, etc.

Thanks,

5-11under

Uhm, Thrust costs $10 more than it would cost without a box. Where did you get the $8 difference from?

Actually, the "box" I'm pricing is a VHS case, like some of the (other) CV homebrews, and made of plastic, not cardboard. Assuming I one day get things completed, I'll be adding a foam insert to hold the game, and a cover that slides under the outside sleeve. The majority of the cost, however, will be shipping (from Canada), because with a loose cart, I could get away with about $1-2 postage, where a case would cost about $5-7.

Don't let this influence your vote, though... I wrote "box" to be more generic, so people would assume the box is cardboard, just like most 2600 games. I'll review the data afterward based on some of the responses, etc.

Ah, so I'm assuming you're planning to release your Squares game as a real CV cart. That's good news. :)

Ah, so I'm assuming you're planning to release your Squares game as a real CV cart. That's good news. :)

Yes, if life would stop getting in the way. I'm trying to get the head-to-head version going.

Thanks,

5-11under

So it costs only $10 to make a box?

In large quantities.

Eventually all the Thrust boxes Al once ordered will be sold out and then he will most likey switch to unboxed.

I believe the minumum run is between 500 - 1000 boxes. That's over 5 to 10 thousand $ investment. Smaller runs would cost alot more.

Large quantities are the key and only means of being cost affective and it's a great risk if the game don't sell.

That's why it must be a game that everybody wants at least 1 copy of at the lowest price the production is able to risk and/or afford. Gravy is expensive.

I believe the minumum run is between 500 - 1000 boxes. That's over 5 to 10 thousand $ investment. Smaller runs would cost alot more.

Large quantities are the key and only means of being cost affective and it's a great risk if the game don't sell.

That's why it must be a game that everybody wants at least 1 copy of at the lowest price the production is able to risk and/or afford. Gravy is expensive.

Oh well, bam goes the boxed GoSub idea, then.

In large quantities.

Eventually all the Thrust boxes Al once ordered will be sold out and then he will most likey switch to unboxed.

I believe the minumum run is between 500 - 1000 boxes. That's over 5 to 10 thousand $ investment.

Just a moment. Al invested over five thousand dollars in that game?

That's something you don't see everyday in the hobby. He must really love this Atari thing or something.

Respect the Al!

In large quantities.

I believe the minumum run is between 500 - 1000 boxes. That's over 5 to 10 thousand $ investment.

Just a moment. Al invested over five thousand dollars in that game?

No, only ~250 boxes were printed for Thrust+, and they were less than $10 each to get printed. However, there's no guarantee you're ever going to sell 250 copies of a game, so you're taking a chance even when having 250 printed. Plus you can't use all the boxes (some end up getting damaged, used as display boxes for shows, etc.), and that eats into your costs also. I'm not sure how many I have left of Thrust+, I'll have to make a count. I know I have a TON of boxes for Power Off--I'll have to come up with some way to get rid of them. :)

..Al

I know I have a TON of boxes for Power Off--I'll have to come up with some way to get rid of them. :)

How about this: Have the guys who made the first one make a second one, and then write a number 2 next to "Power Off" on all your boxes. ;)

Edited by atari2600land

How about this: Have the guys who made the first one make a second one, and then write a number 2 next to "Power Off" on all your boxes. ;)

I like that idea, though a sticker might be better. Somewhat like what was done with Thrust+ Super Deluxe Irridium Edition.

Power Off! is a nice game concept, but it really seems rather dated. A sequel could be a nice thing indeed.

That is an interesting idea, of course now we are going well off topic and that's my fault. :) I don't know that a sequel would work with that box, per se, but a "Power Off+ Super Deluxe Irridium Edition" might work nicely. However, I doubt the Ebivision guys would do it--they mostly do their own thing and communication with them is pretty slow. I might be able to get permission from them to allow someone else to enhance the game to create an SD (Super Duper) version, but I would not expect anything beyond that.

I think there is a lot of potential in Power Off to make it a more enjoyable game with more levels as well--especially if it was increased beyond 4K.

..Al