IGNORED

XLs are the best looking systems.

kheller2

I just was browsing around ebay, as everyone does ... and poked my head over into the Commodore section. The first thing I noticed was Commodore seemed to have their own ebay section/store front... and Atari didn't. The second thing I noticed and remembered was how ugly those C64s are. The C128 was a great step up but still.. not as sexy as the good old 800XL and 1200XL.

Come on, admit it! :D

Ok, the XE's have their bling bling too... I think I would like them more if they physically felt as good in quality as the XL's do.

I'm sure there are 4/800 lovers out there that can't stand anything but that ol' tank.

Edited by kheller2

The C64 was a cheap, butt-ugly machine. Granted, it was popular and had greater market penetration and lots of C64 fans are still all nostalgic for it, but I don't know how anyone can look at a C64 and an Atari XL and honestly say that the C64 looks better. Atari always had superior industrial designers (Regan Cheng's work on the XL series in particular was exceptional), and I think their XL machines looked just as good on the inside as they did on the outside: the ICs were all socketed, the components were clearly labeled, and the overall construction was solid and sound. Commodore, on the other hand, intentionally shipped a number of bad C64 computers because they had to fill their orders and Tramiel knew that only a small percentage of them were likely to be returned anyway. Then, of course, there's the whole issue of the different user experiences between the two machines (I still think that booting into Commodore BASIC and typing LOAD "*",8,1 every time you wanted to use the C64 is a sloppy and inelegant kludge compared to simply switching on the XL and letting the damn disk boot itself), but that's another topic.

As for the other Atari machines ... I may be blaspheming here, but I'd probably rank both the 400/800 and XE series as secondary to the XL series strictly in terms of their physical appearance. I love the 400/800 series and its design is very distinctive and has a lot going for it, but in my opinion it hasn't aged quite as well as the XL or XE designs. I really like the clean look of the Tramiel-era Atari machines (especially the Mega ST and PC-1 computers), but I agree that the quality of the 130XE wasn't quite up to the standards of the 800XL, and the white XE keyboards seem to suffer from really bad yellowing over time.

I agree for the most part with jaybird3rd, and first off I just want to emphasize that It was Jack Tramiel behind both the Vic20/C64, and the cheapo XE&ST line. After He left Commodore, the 64C and C128 and Amigas were much better looking and probably of higher quality, just like the 400/800 AND XL line was before He bought Atari Corp.

My first Atari computer was a 130XE, and that was my only 8-bit until a few years ago, but I do prefer the style and quality of both the 800 and XL lines since I've owned them. My favorite being the 1200XL, which is now upgraded extensively. But it's just such a beautiful machine, and shows off the slim-line style the best due to it's larger size and function key layout over the 600/800XL. But yeah, the 800XL looks a lot better than the Vic20/C64 and XE's IMHO. The 600XL is just so damn small that I guess you can call it sleekly cute, but in some strange way it remind me of a Classic Mac keypoard.

The only quality made and looking Atari computers to come out under the Tramiels were the Mega ST's, Mega STE's and TT'soh, and maybe the Atari PC's too as you mentioned.

Edited by Gunstar

I would have to agree with what seems the general consensus so far. I much prefer the look of the XL series to the others (but then my first Atari was an 800XL). The XE's seemed to be trying to look like their bigger cousins (the ST series) and the 400/800, just a little too 70's for me. However, (and here is my dose of blasphemy), I would have prefered the cartidge slot to be at the side of the machine, rather than at the top. ( :evil: ok, ok, I'm leaving now)

. However, (and here is my dose of blasphemy), I would have prefered the cartidge slot to be at the side of the machine, rather than at the top. ( :evil: ok, ok, I'm leaving now)

It is on the 1200 XL :cool: :D :D :D :D :D

. However, (and here is my dose of blasphemy), I would have prefered the cartidge slot to be at the side of the machine, rather than at the top. ( :evil: ok, ok, I'm leaving now)

As well as on 1400XL/1450XLD and my clone. :cool:

:P Ha!

So, not such a blasphemous comment after all :cool:

The 800xl's are sharp looking. I used to think the 400/800 looked like ancient peices of junk, but now 25 years later, they do have a nostalgic classic look. I have me a nice little Atari 800 machine now to play with. I think Apple's and Atari's have the most personality, out of all the late 70's/early 80's computers.

I think the XL line looks the best over all, however I do think that the XEGS (my preferred 8-bit) could have been the best looking. Those damn pastel buttons I think kill it. I guess I like the fact that the keyboard is detached and the Atari logo on it is larger than any of the atari computers. :)

I think the XL line looks the best over all, however I do think that the XEGS (my preferred 8-bit) could have been the best looking. Those damn pastel buttons I think kill it. I guess I like the fact that the keyboard is detached and the Atari logo on it is larger than any of the atari computers. :)

Funnily enough, the 800XL only has the Atari logo on the label on the underside with the serial number.

Funnily enough, the 800XL only has the Atari logo on the label on the underside with the serial number.

Out of these listed in your sig? Sure.

As for Atari XL and XE computers, I think most of them (all?) have Atari logo and serial number on the underside label.

I would have to agree with what seems the general consensus so far. I much prefer the look of the XL series to the others (but then my first Atari was an 800XL). The XE's seemed to be trying to look like their bigger cousins (the ST series) and the 400/800, just a little too 70's for me. However, (and here is my dose of blasphemy), I would have prefered the cartidge slot to be at the side of the machine, rather than at the top. ( :evil: ok, ok, I'm leaving now)

Nothing Blasphemous about that, you just got the wrong model XL. For a side slot you need the 1200XL. It looks a lot prettier anyway with it's larger base and clear smoke bezel&function keys along the top. It's the perfect one for upgrading too.

no, US only, and only 4 months at that :x

Damn. No wonder I can never find one. :mad:

But, despite the positioning of the cartridge slot, I still prefer the look of the 800XL to just about any other 8-bit ever sold (in the UK).

The XL Line - especially the 1200XL was truly a sexy looking computer line. I liked the way the beveled edges and vent openings were done on the systems and the peripherals.

I was never very intriqued by the XE/ST styling, I found the grey very boring and the styling just didn't feel "Atari"

Curt

I just was browsing around ebay, as everyone does ... and poked my head over into the Commodore section. The first thing I noticed was Commodore seemed to have their own ebay section/store front... and Atari didn't. The second thing I noticed and remembered was how ugly those C64s are. The C128 was a great step up but still.. not as sexy as the good old 800XL and 1200XL.

Come on, admit it! :D

Ok, the XE's have their bling bling too... I think I would like them more if they physically felt as good in quality as the XL's do.

I'm sure there are 4/800 lovers out there that can't stand anything but that ol' tank.

I do think the XL styling was nice but I'm not sure I'd say it was the best looking 8 bit. I think I like the 600XL best for it's size.

The EX series looks kinda bland and I really don't care for the feel of the keyboard. And I have 2 130XEs.

I like the 1970's look of the original 800. In terms of retro looks nothing beats it, not even the Apple II's (which I find a bit to bulky). The XL's look very 80's, with it's sharp and clean design. That's fine in it's own right, but just a bit to 'new' for my taste. I guess having lived the pioneering days in the late 70's leaves its marks. ;)

The XE's and ST's have the looks of a slab of concrete, and just seeing the ugliness of any 8-bit Commodore gives me a headache. The Sinclair ZX? You must be joking... :D

Aside the 8-bits, although it could be argued it's just a square box, I do like the looks of the Amiga 1000. I have always admired the way this computer was envisioned and conceived. The designers and engineers really strived to bring out something groundbreaking, which they eventually did. In comparison, the Tramiels had the ST designed just to 'get back at Commodore' for kicking them out and later on acquiring the Amiga design and development team. It only showed how bad a loser they were. Now the original Atari has already been dismantled for more than 10 years, I guess it just makes them losers... ;)

I wonder which industry they're ruining at this very moment.

re-atari

I think the 800XL is the best looking one, and it's the first Atari I ever owned.

Also I prefer the cartridge slot being in the top middle because it also gives it a bit of a console/more of a games system feel.

Which is EXACTLY why I DON"T like the 800XL, it's an honest work-horse computer just like the Apple II's or C64's of it's day but always got the bad rap of being a GAME MACHINE and that ridiculously positioned slot that makes it LOOK like a gaming console is one of the main reasons for it's disrespect as a real computer. If you like the look&feel of a gaming console, THEN GET ONE! I recommend the 7800 or Jaguar.

Edited by Gunstar